Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #15247
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Some are unavoidable. There is little you can do when standing still stopped at a red light at busy intersection. Deb was on the phone, hands free blue tooth, when she was hit. The only possible action she could have taken would have been to move forward into traffic which would have been a high risk maneuver. I have thought about this a great deal in the weeks since her accident. I have gone through the mental exercise at the location of the accident. If you are prepared pre-video game screens fighter pilot ready at an intersection, watching the traffic pattern to your left prepared to take evasive action from a dead stop under similar traffic conditions there is the slight possibility you could have moved forward, avoided the accident, maybe with the right gap in traffic and split second reaction and...

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am at a red light I make car adjustments (audio selections, temp, check a mirror, adjust my butt to the seat, stretch, check my texts, email, vm) relax for a moment while I wait for the light to change.

Jim,

This is my understanding of a crash and the injuries that follow.

There are three collisions in a crash. The first collision is the vehicle collision.

The vehicle begins stopping as it collides with another object.

The time from crash to full stop in a 30-mph crash is about one-tenth of a second. As the vehicle slows, the front of the vehicle crushes, taking some of the energy of the crash.

The second collision is the human collision. In the human collision, the occupant continues to move toward the point of impact at the same speed even though the vehicle begins to stop once impact occurs. The occupant will begin to stop once he or she connects with an outside force.

An unrestrained occupant will hit the inside of the vehicle, such as a window or other object in the path of motion. As that individual collides with the vehicle interior, he or she slows down from 30 mph to a stop in a few hundredths of a second, with only the body to absorb the energy of the crash

For a restrained occupant, however, the outside force will be met by a seat belt or the harness of a CR.

The third collision is the internal collision. In the internal collision, the occupant’s internal organs move toward the point of impact and
hit other organs, bones, and the skull. Even though the body may appear uninjured, the liver, spleen, heart, or other organs may be torn, bruised, and/or caused to bleed.

Impacts to the head may cause ‘‘closed head injuries’’ resulting from the soft tissue of the brain hitting the skull or being torn as the skull fractures.

When I look at the crash test videos, it would seem to me there would be more energy transfer to the occupants in the Suburban in the 2nd and 3rd collisions than in the Sonic. Is that false because the mass of the Suburban absorbed more energy even though it didn't move? Or is it true because the Sonic moved three lanes over and two car lengths back?
The other issue in the larger vehicle is simply space. The larger vehicle would have had more space which is also critical.

There are 2 advantages in the larger heavier vehicle and one is in the impacting vehicle. The large pickup that hit Feb would have slowed much quicker if she glad been driving an equal size vehicle. My guess is the driver of the pickup had few if any injuries.

You are right about the 3 crashes. But if she were in a larger vehicle sitting higher with more crush space she would have likely been better off.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #15248
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Ok saw my first 2015 Mustang in the flesh today. Yes, a bit nose heavy, but such a giant leap in refinement and quality over any previous Mustang. I was impressed. Gen 6 Camaro better be awesome.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #15249
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok saw my first 2015 Mustang in the flesh today. Yes, a bit nose heavy, but such a giant leap in refinement and quality over any previous Mustang. I was impressed. Gen 6 Camaro better be awesome.
I agree. However, one thing that surprised me about the recent R&T test is that the 1LE and Mustang were virtually the same weight. The Gen 6 Camaro may well be 100+ pounds lighter than the Mustang. That's a start...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #15250
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Z06 ��
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #15251
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
What's not to like?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #15252
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
WOW!

The Z06 is 5 seconds faster around GM’s Milford Road Course than the Z/28

Around the MRC development track, the Z06, equipped with the Z07 package, stage three aero, and automatic, ran a 1:48 lap time. The Z/28? 1:53. This is nothing more than an attempt to encourage the internal rivalry between Camaro and Corvette engineering teams.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #15253
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post

Around the MRC development track, the Z06, equipped with the Z07 package, stage three aero, and automatic, ran a 1:48 lap time. The Z/28? 1:53. This is nothing more than an attempt to encourage the internal rivalry between Camaro and Corvette engineering teams.
What's not to like?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #15254
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Don't expect the Camaro to ever come close to this in Gen 5 hardware. Maybe an LT4 powere Camaro will come closer, but the current Z/28 is several hundred pounds heavier and.......wait for it.........145 HP down on power.

As good as our belove Z/28 is, it is the proverbial knife to a gun fight. A very sharp knife mind you but still a lesser weapon.

Just wish my fat a$$ could fit in the C7 performance seats 😜
Old 11-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #15255
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, there is a hidden message in the ATS-V, at least from my thinking.

GM took the LF3 and massaged it, or gave it a pretty solid make over to get to 455 HP and 445 lbft of torque resulting in the LF4. Up dramatically from, well ok, up solidly over the 420 HP in the LF3 found in the CTS V-sport.

So now GM has shown an indication it is willing to create low volume variants for special or specific applications. Unless GM is putting the LF4 in something else, and not sure what that could be. Possibly and upgrade for the V-sport, but I have my doubts. I think it is intended to be special.

With that in mind, could we see an LT2 in the Gen 6 Z/28? The LF4 was an 8% bump in HP. The equivalent bump from an LT1 would be a magical 500 HP NA.

Just chew on that.....................or hope for that.
They wanted to put a larger displacement, higher reving N/A motor in the new Z06 (think LS7) but couldn't based on cafe. So I wonder how realiztic a 500 hp, N/A LT2 would be.

Also, how is a supercharged 6.2L V8 more economical than a 7.0L N/A V8?

BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #15256
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
They wanted to put a larger displacement, higher reving N/A motor in the new Z06 (think LS7) but couldn't based on cafe. So I wonder how realiztic a 500 hp, N/A LT2 would be.

Also, how is a supercharged 6.2L V8 more economical than a 7.0L N/A V8?

I think he meant they could hit all their goals with a supercharged 6.2, where the larger displacement N/A engine failed to hit emissions regulations.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #15257
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post

Around the MRC development track, the Z06, equipped with the Z07 package, stage three aero, and automatic, ran a 1:48 lap time. The Z/28? 1:53.
Does anyone recall the best ZR1 time @ Milford? That might give an indication of 'Ring possibilities for the '15 Z06.

EDIT:

Found it. "As for the new Z06, which will go on sale early next year, it now stands as the fastest production car ever tested at General Motors’ Milford Proving Grounds, shaving a full second off the best time set by the old Corvette ZR1".

Source: http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2014...nd-0-60-times/

Last edited by SEVEN-OH JOE; 11-25-2014 at 06:21 PM.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #15258
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
I'd like to wish a very Happy Thanksgiving to all my Camaro friends here!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #15259
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Thanks Clyde, Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #15260
JusticePete

Be blessed this Thanksgiving with your family and friends. To all those in service to our country, know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014