Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which would you actually spend $35k on?
Volt - Because gas is getting too expensive for an SS. 5 3.47%
Volt - But only for my spouse to drive. 0 0%
SS - I love the smell of gasoline and burning rubber. 139 96.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2008, 03:28 AM   #85
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentRS View Post
I'd get the Camaro as a Weekend Warrior and Volt as a Daily Driver. But If I had to choose- Camaro SS- 422 horsepower and 23 MPG is great.
You are correct my good friend!
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #86
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieke View Post
thats the Volt i remember. too bad the aerodynamics sucked on it tho.
I voted Camaro SS. The concept version of the Volt looks cool, though. Too bad it's a battery car.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #87
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I just found out yesterday that I might be able to get a Volt for around $25k with GMS and GM card earnings and the tax rebate...

GM's killing me. There's like 20 cars I want now...:(
Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #88
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
I know that the Volt is supposed to go 40 miles on a charge = $O gas bill but does anyone have any info. on how much electricity it will take to charge it up overnight?
They are not giving that stuff away and it is likely to go much higher.

I see on Wiki. it has a 16kWh battery pack.
Rates where I live are 7 cents/kWh and up to 21 cents/kWh in other parts of NA, so would it cost $1.12 to recharge it where I live and up to $3.36 in other parts of N.A.?
I'm not a leccy so I'm not sure if it a direct equation like that.
You see what I'm saying here. If you live in an area with expensive rates you are not going to save much over a car that can get near 40 mpg combined. Of course that will all depend on what gas costs when this thing comes out.

Last edited by Maddog78; 09-14-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: wiki info.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #89
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
Exactly. Vise-Versa, it's a "no-brainer" on the Volt forums. duh
i was thinking the exact same thing.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #90
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Well I'm a Democrat, but not a treehugger
I'm not sure why everyone thinks to be a Democrat you have to be a treehugger... I'm a Democrat, but want a big V8 SS Camaro. I certainly do think we should all be recycling and doing what we can to protect the planet and it's inhabitants, but I'm not a total nut about it all.

I'd never drive a Prius and I think we should be drilling for oil off our own shores, but I'm a Democrat... Go figure. LOL
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #91
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
When did the volt get ugly?
Last time I checked it looked like this:

What happened?
I suppose that depends on your opinion of 'ugly'. LOL

The concept looked like a bastardized version of the Camaro. I thought it was interesting, but it had too many elements I didn't like at all (front end looked small and squished, side windows were ugly the way they extended down).

I much prefer the production Volt.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #92
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I'm not sure why everyone thinks to be a Democrat you have to be a treehugger... I'm a Democrat, but want a big V8 SS Camaro. I certainly do think we should all be recycling and doing what we can to protect the planet and it's inhabitants, but I'm not a total nut about it all.

I'd never drive a Prius and I think we should be drilling for oil off our own shores, but I'm a Democrat... Go figure. LOL
I actually said that in response to this:

Originally Posted by Shadowsong
I voted SS.

Leave the volt to the tree hugging democrats who think CAFE is a good idea.

I'm with you 100%, I care about the environment, because, um... it's where I live, but I'm no granola eating, hemp clothes wearing, save the endagered fruitfly nut. As far as offshore drilling... that's a whole other debate, I was all for it until I did some research and realized there are millions of acres of land already leased by oil companies that they can drill on that don't pose the same environment risks that off shore drilling does. The the thing is that the oil companies know EXACTLY where the oil is off shore because they used to drill there before they f*cked up and spilled millions of gallons of crude on the coastlines. BUT, they rather not invest in exploring the lands already set aside for them even though the record profits they've shown the last few years tell us they've definitely have the cash to do so. They're basically refusing to invest in new exploration and rather wait for a thumbs up from Congress to go the cheap route.

In any case the Volt is a great idea because sooner or later, offshore drilling or not... WE WILL RUN OUT OF BLACK GOLD and need to shirt to renewable energy sources to avert a looming worldwide crisis. You think gass is expensive now, wait till our kids and grandkids find out the oil wells are getting close to 'E'...
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #93
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
As far as offshore drilling... that's a whole other debate, I was all for it until I did some research and realized there are millions of acres of land already leased by oil companies that they can drill on that don't pose the same environment risks that off shore drilling does. The the thing is that the oil companies know EXACTLY where the oil is off shore because they used to drill there before they f*cked up and spilled millions of gallons of crude on the coastlines. BUT, they rather not invest in exploring the lands already set aside for them even though the record profits they've shown the last few years tell us they've definitely have the cash to do so. They're basically refusing to invest in new exploration and rather wait for a thumbs up from Congress to go the cheap route.
Quote:
RHETORIC: Oil and natural gas companies are demanding greater access to America’s resources even though they own leases on millions of acres of federal lands that are already open to drilling. They would rather sit on these idle leases and make record profits than increase production. If they’re not willing to produce on these idle leases, they should hand them over to someone who will.

REALITY: Just because a lease is not producing oil or natural gas doesn’t mean it’s idle. Companies are actively exploring and developing the majority of their leases, but the entire process takes years and requires many steps, including securing government permits, analyzing seismic data and installing the machinery needed for drilling and production. Many leases prove not to contain enough oil and natural gas to be commercially viable, and companies can’t produce oil and natural gas where it does not exist. Over the past five years, American companies have paid billions to obtain federal leases, and if they don’t develop leases within a certain period of time, they return them to the federal government, forfeiting all investments.

From the API website.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #94
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
From the API website.
68 MILLION ACRES +... THERE'S OIL IN THEM THAR HILLS!!

Offshore oil deposits are already explored but potentially hazardous to drill, lands already on lease cost money to explore... if I were in the oil business I'd be pining for coastal drilling also, makes good financial sense, BUT that does not mean it's for the greater good.

I'm finished, not here to argue politics/capitalism... just want my 400 horses!
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote