Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
vrunner

Drives: 2012 T3 Edition 2SS Hurst 6M
Weird Noises

Ok, cruised through the forum here and found some threads that kinda cover what I am hearing so to clarify I will put it in my own words.

When backing up the ABS system sounds like it is engaging for no apparent reason, scares the crap out of me because it usually does it as I am backing out of a parking spot and All I can think is a hit something or worse, rubbed the wheels against a curb... Intermittant but annoying. Anyone else get this?

When turning in the morning or when I first start the car I get what feels like a drag or rub in the suspension. I can sometimes get it to repeat but it is only when turning fairly hard.

vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
its very common...backing up while turning the wheel...scary noise like you described. Go to the dealer , download the software update that takes care of it. The service advisor may not know of such update so you'll have to ask him to look for it.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
vrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
its very common...backing up while turning the wheel...scary noise like you described. Go to the dealer , download the software update that takes care of it. The service advisor may not know of such update so you'll have to ask him to look for it.
Thanks the info!!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
some people say it is just the fuel pump but ive never heard it
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
What might that software update be called to point them in the right direction?
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
ABS does a self-check but is not usually active below 25mph or so. Can you tell if the noise if from the rear of the car? If so, it is most likely the clutch packs in the diff. They are noisy when cold and don't have enough fluid worked into them. Only happens on mine when cold and I back out for the first time in the morning....
Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
vrunner

I hear the fuel pump, it makes a clicking noise. The noise I hear can be felt through the brake pedal. It isnt a gear or rear end noise. The noise is also exactly what I use to hear and feel on my old GP when the ABS activated.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
here is the best description of it as some here seem to be mistaking it for the fuel pump "tap tap tap" noise in the rear. BTW, that noise is normal, too.

The ABS noise mostly happens when you are backing up and turning the wheel. If you haven't heard it before, The kind of sound it makes will make you jump and say, "OH CRAP, I just scraped the front on the curb!!!!" I wish I still had the reference # on it but it is documented and tell the service advisor to check for ABS software update.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
Heard a clicking noise this morning in the rear of the car, which now sounds like the tap tap tap of the fuel pump. That is the reason I got here, but it also answered my question about the dragging noise while backing up.

What would we do without Camaro5.com?

Thanks,

ED
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
Here is a copy/paste of the bulletin:

Service Information
2010 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 2583310
#PIC5424: Rear Axle Chatter-Type Noise On Low-Speed Turns In Reverse / ABS Noise - keywords grind ratchet rattle - (Feb 18, 2011)
Subject: Rear Axle Chatter-Type Noise on Low-Speed Turns in Reverse / ABS Noise

Models: 2010 - 2011 Chevrolet Camaro
Built Prior to August 25, 2010
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment of a noise heard when coasting backward and turning the steering wheel. This will only be noticed at low speeds of approximately 3 MPH, vehicle coasting backwards with some steering input. Transmission gear position is not a factor. This is most commonly experienced if backing out of a downhill driveway, coasting and turning the steering wheel. This noise is caused by the ABS pump motor priming.

Note: It will not occur if coasting straight backwards, steering wheel input is necessary to experience this condition.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This concern should not be confused with the concern listed in the current version of PI0137 because both concerns could likely have similar customer comments. To determine which issue is occurring, temporarily remove the 25A F40U fuse from the UBEC and back the vehicle at slow speeds of approximately 3 MPH while providing some steering input. If the noise is not present while the fuse is removed then reinstall the fuse, clear all codes that set due to the fuse removal and continue with the repair outlined in this document.

Do not replace any parts for this condition.

Engineering has identified the concern and created an EBCM calibration to resolve this issue. The calibration is available in Tis2Web. SPS program the EBCM with the latest calibration to resolve this concern.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Hopefully this helps,
Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
69 Firebird

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS, 1969 Firebird 350HO
Anyone ever get what sounds to be a strange howl from the front right after coming to a stop? The sounds doesn't come right away after stopping and almost sounds hydraulic. It lasts about 1-2 seconds and doesn't always happen. Thought I would check her before having the dealer chase after it.
69 Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Firebird View Post
Anyone ever get what sounds to be a strange howl from the front right after coming to a stop? The sounds doesn't come right away after stopping and almost sounds hydraulic. It lasts about 1-2 seconds and doesn't always happen. Thought I would check her before having the dealer chase after it.
Greetings 69 Firebird,

Sorry to hear about "howl" you're hearing. I know that must be displeasing. Feel free to send me your VIN privately so I can search for any recalls possibly related to this concern. Moving forward, I'd also be more than willing to schedule an appointment at your local dealer for an official diagnosis.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care