Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
davidbecker

Drives: 1998 camaro
quick question

hey all. im curious about the rear suspension. iim going to be upgrading the panhard bar but i cant find the outher bar that is on top of that one that goes from the bracket to the body. any ideas? do i even need it? i have searched but i cant find it.

i have a 1998 base camaro w/v6 with single piece upgraded driveshaft. auto tranny.
davidbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Yep, you're going to need that bar (called the upper rod support), and as I understand it unless you go with a relocator for true dual exhaust you are just going to use the stock one.

However, if you're going to install an SLP or aftermarket exhaust.. just do a True Dual install PHB and Upper Bar. Trust me it'll give you some wiggle room you wish you had on the stock bars. Talk about a middle of install "shouldwouldacoulda" moment...
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
davidbecker

what do you mean a true dual install? and thanks for info by the way

Last edited by davidbecker; 10-29-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbecker View Post
what do you mean a true dual install? and thanks for info by the way

There's a bar the is bent different than the stock one so that it is easier to run a true duals over the axle. If you are just running a Y-pipe setup it isn't required, and the stock one will work fine.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=289
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx View Post
There's a bar the is bent different than the stock one so that it is easier to run a true duals over the axle. If you are just running a Y-pipe setup it isn't required, and the stock one will work fine.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=289
True that it will work and fit just fine, I was just speaking from experience putting my axle back in. Also consider what you want to do to the car down the road mod wise. Are you going to lower it? Track it? Run it on a road course?

If so also look into adjustables. The rod ends on adjustable assemblies allow for you to make changes to the suspension without having to hoist the car and pull crap off. You're gonna love the car either way once you do a proper suspension setup. There's one 6 in our club that with JUST suspension upgrades ran 14s all day and on the curved back roads in Michigan was hard pressed to NOT pass the Z28s, SSs, Trans Ams, and WS6es in the club.

Even with 200,000 miles on the chassis and engine. I can only hope that 5th gens can age this well.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
davidbecker

that's truly amazing. is anyone able to tell me what upgrades i should do to the suspension. the front struts are junk so i have to replace them anyway.i wish i could get into a club. but im out in the middle of nothing and no one anywhere. theres stuff missing on the front of the car it would be nice to have someone to hang with and help me figure out what i need to get the fenders to bolt up right. i got a lot of new parts coming in a few days. this guy sold the car for 1000 bucks and it is completely rust free the underneath looks like it came out of the factory.that's the only reason i bought it being a base model. it dont have any of the power acc. or anything. but for a DD how can you beat that price.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
davidbecker

thanx for that link silencer. now my head is spinning . god i would love to upgrade to all that new hardware. i think may but at those prices it will be piece by piece.

Last edited by davidbecker; 10-30-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
davidbecker

which is better to buy? my stock one stanped the end off so i need to replace. which would you all go with honestly.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2629815045.html

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=290
Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbecker View Post
which is better to buy? my stock one stanped the end off so i need to replace. which would you all go with honestly.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2629815045.html

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=290
The UMI would be the better buy, you have ready access to aftermarket support and with no club to help it would be easier to have that 1-800 backup. Granted for me I'd probably go with that UMI bar, but it's also a matter of do you want New Old Stock for show's sake or are you going to track the piss out of it.

The latter, obviously go with UMI. Or which ever company suits your fancy (BMR, Granatelli, etc). Heck in the long run if I had a choice, I'd probably buy another late 4th gen for a DD and store the T/A over buying a 5th gen. They're nice, but just too pricey as opposed to dime a dozen third and 4th gens being built on a shoestring budget.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
davidbecker

i hear ya zabo. and thanks for all the help also. im not sure what im going to do with this car yet. i woulod like to have a v8 in it but if i do swap and drop in a ls1 the car still wont be a "SS" or a "Z". so im not sure if i should just save up and get a upgraded one and then aftermarket the heck out of it. im not sure as to what all is different body and mech. wise between the different body styles. but im sure i cant do some upgrades and what not and stick a z28 emblem on and say its a "Z". though correct me if im wrong. im just guessing here you all are the experts thats why im asking.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Go with the UMI one. I am running the 35 mm front one and the 22 mm rear. No body roll left in this car. Most of my mods are in my Sig. Just hit up an Auto-X yesterday, and I was keeping up with modded Evo's and STi's.

If you don't want the weight of a solid bar, Sam Strano offers hollow ones as well. I'm thinking about upgrading to those one day, but they are not worth the cost for me right now.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
davidbecker

ok i just bought the UMI one. first step in many...lol thanks all for the help much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
fbodyrs96

Drives: 1996 Camaro RS convertible
you know the 35mm is way to big on a stock V6, especial if your not running some good quality struts and springs, and if you do run a 35mm front you need to upgrade the rear to a 22mm, to make things more even, Otherwise you can end up with too much oversteer. What you want is for the car to feel neutral through in the turns. This means you don't want the back end sliding out (oversteer) or the front end to push (understeer) but rather just grip.

The stock WS6/SS 32mm hollow front bar is the best bang for the buck and doesn't add much weight at all. you will Also need the corresponding 32mm bushings. I'd go ahead and upgrade to poly on the bushings and endlinks for the front and rear swaybars to freshen things. Also I would would not go better than a 19mm rear untill you can upgrade your stocks and springs.
fbodyrs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
davidbecker

damn i knew i would get screwed. i bought it yesterday but i do have new shocks and struts for her nothing special just gabreil from autozone. i dont have the money to upgrade the back bar. is it going to mke that big of a deal? if so anyone want to buy a brand new bar?

Last edited by davidbecker; 10-31-2011 at 12:14 PM.