Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
bazguitarman
Holding breath for SS

Drives: '99 Mazda Protege
Send a message via AIM to bazguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to bazguitarman
Thumbs up How to package the Z28 to make sure it happens.

I think the Z28 option is very viable if Chevy/GM packages it the right way. IMO it should be packaged as a "track" car to take advantage of the new IRS.

Let's say they go with something like this.

* Track suspension- lower the car 1" all the way around with increased spring rates, matched dampers and thicker sways.

* Moderate HP increase- Lets say 50 to 60 more horses from a free flowing intake and exhaust along with a slightly different cam profile that raises the power band 500 rpm.

* Track specific tranny and/or rearend gearing package with an appropriate tranny cooler.

* Traditional Z28 "race" stripe package done in paint not vinyl.

* Race harness specific front seat design.

* Various badges and Z28 specific cosmetic details.

None of those changes are radical and are well within design and engineering parameters enjoyed by many of the import sport models. Which would be the competition for hot lapping. Why should these simple "packages" be restricted to only MIJ sports cars.

None are very expensive and the effect on the CAFE #'s would be minimal. Starting with a 422 hp motor you don't have to radicaly change MPG numbers for a reasonable power increase. The lower suspension will actually help wind drag #'s. And as a package it would make for an impressive car that would stand out above even the SS/RS. But stay at a reasonable price point.

Eric
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.

btw go vols!
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Good start
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
here we go http://www.lingenfelter.com/C6LS3sSCIC122.htm
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
And then buy the GMPP supercharger... That would be wonderful....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
And then buy the GMPP supercharger... That would be wonderful....
LOL! DUH!!!

As high as the SS looks like it is, I think it could stand another inch drop personally The painted stripes though - eh. Does anyone remember the Grand Sport from '96? Beautiful paint, red hashmarks, painted stripe if I'm not mistaken. I say painted because they could only built like 1000 of those cars because of the special paint job. We want more Z28s than that; well I do

Great start, great post, and WELCOME!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
LOL! DUH!!!

As high as the SS looks like it is, I think it could stand another inch drop personally The painted stripes though - eh. Does anyone remember the Grand Sport from '96? Beautiful paint, red hashmarks, painted stripe if I'm not mistaken. I say painted because they could only built like 1000 of those cars because of the special paint job. We want more Z28s than that; well I do

Great start, great post, and WELCOME!
They didn't have a problem in '69 painting stripes on almost 20,302 Z/28s, most all of them had stripes, there were very few without stripes.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Well it's nice to dream. The things listed would be VERY expensive to implement on a low volume car run.

Most unlikely - race harness. Not on a production car. Insurance and liability would make that impossible in this litigious society.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
If they don’t want to put a supercharger in it due to CAFÉ then add lightness as Chapman would say. Go CF roof, trunk and hood. Aluminum bits in the suspension. Lightweight 18 or 19” wheels to reduce unsprung weight (those 20’s have to be heavy, put some volks or something else on there), manual Recaro seats (just make sure they recline) and other weight saving measures. And then tweak the engine to about 440hp and shoot for 3,650lbs.

Not saying make it a track car by removing sound deadening, back seats etc. Those who want that can do that on their own.

By making it lighter they can provide a faster and more nimble car that gets the same or better mileage than the SS. If they don’t increase the HP at all they can even improve mileage while still improving all the rest. Seeing as this is a higher trim model they won’t expect volume and can charge a bit more and it has no impact on CAFÉ.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
If they don’t want to put a supercharger in it due to CAFÉ then add lightness as Chapman would say. Go CF roof, trunk and hood. Aluminum bits in the suspension. Lightweight 18 or 19” wheels to reduce unsprung weight (those 20’s have to be heavy, put some volks or something else on there), manual Recaro seats (just make sure they recline) and other weight saving measures. And then tweak the engine to about 440hp and shoot for 3,650lbs.

Not saying make it a track car by removing sound deadening, back seats etc. Those who want that can do that on their own.

By making it lighter they can provide a faster and more nimble car that gets the same or better mileage than the SS. If they don’t increase the HP at all they can even improve mileage while still improving all the rest. Seeing as this is a higher trim model they won’t expect volume and can charge a bit more and it has no impact on CAFÉ.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Puts up beer bottle cage from Roadhouse movie..

Ok don't shoot me but I think it might be cool for Z28 to be a small, sub 5.0 liter V8 that can meet CAFE but still have that sweet V8 tune.

Runs off stage from pictforks and torches...

Just think that option might be something "doable". But it would be loaded only to keep the price above LT and just below loaded SS.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
I get where your comming from but I dont like the idea. I want a bad ass Z28(unreasonable? time will tell) I want it blown and with a bunch of extra goodies with a very moderate HP increase.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
bazguitarman
Holding breath for SS

Drives: '99 Mazda Protege
Send a message via AIM to bazguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to bazguitarman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
I get where your comming from but I dont like the idea. I want a bad ass Z28(unreasonable? time will tell) I want it blown and with a bunch of extra goodies with a very moderate HP increase.

I'm with you bro. I want a super Z28 also, but I honestly don't think it will happen the way we would like. Chevy is never going to give us a Z28 that will perform at the same level as the Corvette. And we are darn close to that with the SS/RS 6M. At 422 hp the SS will fall below the base model Corvette only because of higher drag #'s, higher weight and a slightly less refined suspension.

Chevy will definitely keep the Corvette as the top dog model. I think it's much more feasable to look for a track package like the '69 302 models.

blaSSt- I don't think it will be too expensive because 90% of the required parts will already be on the market. Chevy desperately needs to form partnerships with key aftermarket companies. Look at it this way. Within one year of the SS hitting the street there will be tons of those parts hitting the after market. Developed by companies that specialize in performance parts. Why can't Chevy work with those companies in conjunction with their own performance brand? You know for a fact that Chevy will have to develope spring and shock sets for the aftermarket. Also they will have to bring a performance CAI or RAI and exhaust. They won't have any choice or they will lose all the modification market to the after market developers and manufacturers.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
CAFE loophole: Increase the vehicle's cost thereby limiting the total amount sold annually. I wonder how many people would be willing to pay upwards of $40k for a H/O Z28? Maybe, 550-600 hp?

Poll, anyone???
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote