Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
So I bought the Z/28 because of its rarity and uniqueness. I have no plans to track it. I have two jobs, one I work from home and the other I drive about 45 minutes to so the car is my pseudo DD, though it's really only two days a week that I'm driving that far. I had read about how terrible this thing is as a DD and it gave me pause but I still bought it. Maybe it's because I expected it to be so bad, which prepared me for this horrible street car......but it's not that bad. The suspension is stiff even on Tour mode, it's exhaust note is aggressive and of course it doesn't really have nice amenities in the cockpit like other cars, but it's perfectly acceptable to me. I'm having the tires changed to put street tires on. The awesomeness of the car overrides any limitations it has as a street car, and again, I don't think it's really that bad. I do have to point out that I might be unique in the sense that I don't really like all the fancy toys that come with new cars. I like simplicity, which really makes me like the rawness of the Z/28. For example, I LOVE that the seats are manual front to back. I HATE electric seats. So easy to get in and out of with manual seats. Again, just me.
+1 and, while I do understand that it's not an ideal street car for many, for some it hits the sweet spot! Btw, unlike a ZL1, the suspension dynamics are not controlled via the Tour or Sport modes nor by the PTM modes. PTM modes only affect stability & traction control and steering effort. Tour and Sport may affect the traction control.... can't recall and, unless it's really cold or rainy, I am almost always in mode 5. You can read more here https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...PREP_Final.pdf

Last edited by JUSTIFIED; 03-16-2017 at 09:42 PM.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
68camaroz28

Drives: 68 Z28, 69 Z28, 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
Thanks everyone, we shall see if they were honest about the under 40 price, fingers crossed.

That link was helpful as well
I hope that was not a figure with your trade-in! Cannot imagine but under 40 seems like a real bargain before any real bargaining. Good luck and its a great car.
68camaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
It amazes me that there are several low mileage '14's and '15's in the 40's. Most are upper 40's, but there are some in the lower 40's. What a car for under $50,000. I know I'd never, ever consider selling mine that low. But if you can find one in the 30's? My God, buy it and don't even think about it.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
RandyT

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Summit White
No that was with no trade in but as I expected, they are saying there is another buyer in play.

So we shall see
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
Kanine

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
If you plan on keeping a Z28 for 20+ yrs it will be worth a little more than the ZL1 at that point. The Z28 was $75K new and now you can get one for a little over $40K. Not too far off from a 2012 ZL1.... So much for depreciation arguments, however I think Z28 and ZL1 will hold around $35-40K and go up later in yrs. I have a 2017 ZL1, which I recommend is the best of both worlds. Track, straight line and everyday street use and don't believe the hype you don't see them everyday. You won't be like everyone else in either car. Both are bad ass! LT5 Z28 is coming... (I'd still hold on to my current Z28) wait and see, lol. I said the same when I traded my 13 ZL1.
Kanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #20
G6Flyer

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanine View Post
If you plan on keeping a Z28 for 20+ yrs it will be worth a little more than the ZL1 at that point. The Z28 was $75K new and now you can get one for a little over $40K. Not too far off from a 2012 ZL1.... So much for depreciation arguments, however I think Z28 and ZL1 will hold around $35-40K and go up later in yrs. I have a 2017 ZL1, which I recommend is the best of both worlds. Track, straight line and everyday street use and don't believe the hype you don't see them everyday. You won't be like everyone else in either car. Both are bad ass! LT5 Z28 is coming... (I'd still hold on to my current Z28) wait and see, lol. I said the same when I traded my 13 ZL1.

I would guess very few people paid $75,000 for a Z/28. I think most that contribute here paid in the $55-65K range (same price as the Gen 5 ZL1). The average price for a Z/28 seems to be in the mid $40Ks right now - about $10K higher than a ZL1.

The original poster was asking about a Gen 5 Z/28 vs a Gen 6 ZL1. The point about depreciation was that the Z/28 is close to the bottom of its depreciation curve; a 2017 ZL1 is at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #21
Kanine

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Flyer View Post
I would guess very few people paid $75,000 for a Z/28. I think most that contribute here paid in the $55-65K range (same price as the Gen 5 ZL1). The average price for a Z/28 seems to be in the mid $40Ks right now - about $10K higher than a ZL1.

The original poster was asking about a Gen 5 Z/28 vs a Gen 6 ZL1. The point about depreciation was that the Z/28 is close to the bottom of its depreciation curve; a 2017 ZL1 is at the top.

Huh... the 2017 ZL1 just came out... you may find one used one, so how do you know? The one I did find is selling for $62K used.... $5K less than my new one. You do a lot of guessing, how do you know how much people on avg paid for there Z28. They were around $70K new and dealers had problems selling so they dropped them to $55K while still new. Thats the depreciation I am referring to. And the avg price for a used ZL1 is between $38-45K from 2012-2015 model ranges. Thats a $5-7K difference if any from a used one year model run Z28.... Not bad for a 2012 and it will have over 20K miles if you get one for $38K which to enthusiast is considered high. A 2015 ZL1 is mid $40's too...... I do agree later on the Z28 will be worth more than a ZL1 if you keep one that long. I like both cars, Its been a great couple of years to own a chevy!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #22
G6Flyer

Quote:
Huh... the 2017 ZL1 just came out... you may find one used one, so how do you know? The one I did find is selling for $62K used.... $5K less than my new one. You do a lot of guessing, how do you know how much people on avg paid for there Z28. They were around $70K new and dealers had problems selling so they dropped them to $55K while still new. Thats the depreciation I am referring to. And the avg price for a used ZL1 is between $38-45K from 2012-2015 model ranges. Thats a $5-7K difference if any from a used one year model run Z28.... Not bad for a 2012 and it will have over 20K miles if you get one for $38K which to enthusiast is considered high. A 2015 ZL1 is mid $40's too...... I do agree later on the Z28 will be worth more than a ZL1 if you keep one that long. I like both cars, Its been a great couple of years to own a chevy!

I know because it is not a limited production vehicle and will not be the only product in the world that is not subject to the laws of supply and demand...

My $55,000-65,000 new-price-paid estimate on the Z/28 is based on reading this forum for the past couple years. A lot of people have posted what they paid for their cars and almost all were in that range, with a considerable number in the low $50s (new) recently. I'm sure people paid in the $70Ks (or higher) when the car first came out, but by Dec 2014 my dealer had a 2015 (the one I bought 6-months later) tagged at 20% off MSRP.

The point from my original post is that a new ZL1 has a much greater downward potential than the OP's alleged sub-$40,000 Z/28. Surely you don't disagree with that?!

Also, the Z/28 wasn't a one-year model run. Might be time to brush up on your Camaro trivia...

Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Flyer View Post
I know because it is not a limited production vehicle and will not be the only product in the world that is not subject to the laws of supply and demand...

My $55,000-65,000 new-price-paid estimate on the Z/28 is based on reading this forum for the past couple years. A lot of people have posted what they paid for their cars and almost all were in that range, with a considerable number in the low $50s (new) recently. I'm sure people paid in the $70Ks (or higher) when the car first came out, but by Dec 2014 my dealer had a 2015 (the one I bought 6-months later) tagged at 20% off MSRP.

The point from my original post is that a new ZL1 has a much greater downward potential than the OP's alleged sub-$40,000 Z/28. Surely you don't disagree with that?!

Also, the Z/28 wasn't a one-year model run. Might be time to brush up on your Camaro trivia...

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #24
Kanine

Oh yeah, I forgot it was made in 2014, I looked them up and they sell in the lower $40K range like the 2014 Camaro ZL1 as well...... Not limited!? LMAO you are to funny. Less than 1000 ZL1s will be made in 2017, lmao! What is limited to you?! Hell they made 2K certain Rolls Royces and Lambos... And each year they make more and they all look the same! Look man, each year the Camaro ZL1 and Z28 where made they both made the Hagerty future collectible list. And I agreed with you that dealers sold the $75K car with discount for $55K because of slow sales.... Thanks for proving my point. The OP asked "which one". There are pros and cons to both. The ZL1 is the better all around vehicle stat wise. Here is some "fake news" for you, like I said they are both bad ass! LOL

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...gerty-hot-list

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015...-cars-of-2015/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#380f059f870f
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
ericmstepp

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot it was made in 2014, I looked them up and they sell in the lower $40K range like the 2014 Camaro ZL1 as well...... Not limited!? LMAO you are to funny. Less than 1000 ZL1s will be made in 2017, lmao! What is limited to you?! Hell they made 2K certain Rolls Royces and Lambos... And each year they make more and they all look the same! Look man, each year the Camaro ZL1 and Z28 where made they both made the Hagerty future collectible list. And I agreed with you that dealers sold the $75K car with discount for $55K because of slow sales.... Thanks for proving my point. The OP asked "which one". There are pros and cons to both. The ZL1 is the better all around vehicle stat wise. Here is some "fake news" for you, like I said they are both bad ass! LOL

lol, this guy. z/28s have two model years, 2014-15.

Also the other guy is saying that the z/28 has already depreciated so it won't be as much of hit to the bank account to buy it. ZL1s haven't been out long enough to depreciate yet, so it will hurt more money wise to buy it. Also they will make a whole lot more ZL1s then z/28s when everything is said and done.
ericmstepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #26
G6Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmstepp View Post
lol, this guy. z/28s have two model years, 2014-15.

Also the other guy is saying that the z/28 has already depreciated so it won't be as much of hit to the bank account to buy it. ZL1s haven't been out long enough to depreciate yet, so it will hurt more money wise to buy it. Also they will make a whole lot more ZL1s then z/28s when everything is said and done.

I'm glad somebody has reading comprehension skills. Those are exactly, 100% the points I was making.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #27
G6Flyer

Quote:

The ZL1 is not limited... there is no maximum production number for this year or any year. Maybe this year will be lower because of a short production cycle, but otherwise not "limited production". They will crank out as many as they can over the rest of the Gen 6 production cycle.

A dealer selling a new car for a reduced price is not depreciation - at least on the consumer side. It is a market adjustment (just like when they jack up the price of a new car due to high demand).

Consumer depreciation happens after someone buys a car and the price decreases. That is what I am talking about and the Z/28 is at or near the bottom of the depreciation curve. Certainly much closer to the bottom than a new car. Can we at least agree on that?

You're arguing about everything except the main point of my post and you're coming across as very troll-ish...

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #28
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:

We welcome all points of view, but please bear in mind... this a gen 5 Z/28 forum and be respectful. Too many LMAOs and LOLs come off as the opposite.

ZL1 is certainly bad ass, but the production volumes are much higher than a Z/28. Having said that, I've only seen 2-3 gen 5 versions on the streets here in the Dallas area. I had a gen 5 and it was great. Can only imagine the gen 6 version. - The 1LE version will be better stat wise than the non 1LE version or the Z/28. However, the Z/28 can't and won't be replicated. It's one of a kind.