Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #575
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
Thanks unrestricted. The pipe coming off the turbo is so short, that my installer was worried about cutting it. He wants to make sure STS didn't design it like this on purpose, and has a call out to STS.

I am glad to hear they can be cut.
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #576
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
You'd better put on some slicks, since you spin your tires already. You're gonna smoke us all now.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #577
MyWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elykson View Post
You'd better put on some slicks, since you spin your tires already. You're gonna smoke us all now.
Hey Kyle!

I guess the secret is out now. I am going to take it to Benchmark tuning this Saturday to see what it will dyno at. I am going to be there about noon. Maybe I'll see you there.

Chris
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #578
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Way to go. Another one joins the turbo club. Post the dynos as soon as you can, we'd all like to see them. I don't think any of the turbos have dynoed with these cooler temps.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #579
Dalefj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss
Question

First off mad respect to Z for stepping up and doing all of this.
Was there ever a pic of the piping from the bottom of the car? Just curious about turbo placement.

Also I dont understand why it takes Meth injection to get above 5-6 psi? I mean I hail from the Toyota community where people are easily making double digit boost from either single or TT in the 2JZ engine. In fact most people running the 2JZ dont use meth unless they are above 20 psi. So why is Meth necessary at such a low pressure? And wouldn't a thicker head-gasket help lower the compression ratio allowing for higher boost nubmers?
I mean at the end of the day I am still a Noob but this stuff doesnt seem to add up to me
Dalefj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #580
MyWorld

I know there are pics somewhere of the piping underneath, but I don't know where at the moment. I will post pics of everything on Tuesday.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #581
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalefj View Post
First off mad respect to Z for stepping up and doing all of this.
Was there ever a pic of the piping from the bottom of the car? Just curious about turbo placement.

Also I dont understand why it takes Meth injection to get above 5-6 psi? I mean I hail from the Toyota community where people are easily making double digit boost from either single or TT in the 2JZ engine. In fact most people running the 2JZ dont use meth unless they are above 20 psi. So why is Meth necessary at such a low pressure? And wouldn't a thicker head-gasket help lower the compression ratio allowing for higher boost nubmers?
I mean at the end of the day I am still a Noob but this stuff doesnt seem to add up to me
Well I don't know anything about the 2JZ toyota engine, but I believe our issues here stem from the Direct Injection on this engine. If it weren't for that, I believe you wouldn't see some of the issues the LLT is having.

But its not like we need 20 psi anyways...heck...seems like 7 to 8 psi will get you in the 500+ crank horsepower club lol.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #582
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Actually I believe it right now is considered a newer engine people are trying to work out. The fuel supply is being worked on. The compression ratio is around 11.5 to 1, which is in the unreal zone when you consider turbos or supercharging for the street. No, a thicker head gasket won't bring it down enough.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #583
GretchenGotGrowl

I think meth on the STS is for those not using an IC. They also get a bump in octane at the time so they can run a little more timing.

These DI engines are definitely a different beast. usa1camaro1969 is right, with pretty low pressure we will get around 500 to the crank, but the fuel system can't sustain it right now. Once we get that licked, look out the V6ers are coming...
Old 11-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #584
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
2jz engine does not have the high compression ratio the LLT does. The Toyota motor also has an iron block while the LLT is aluminum block and heads. The iron block simply = more hp, boost, and compression it can handle relative to an aluminum block. Finally and most obv fact is 2JZ motor was designed WITH turbos. Toyota engineers developed the motor around being a boosted motor. Its always harder understanding limitations of a N/A motor that has been converted to Forced Induction.

Can we compile a list of people who have since gone FI on the v6's to date? Maybe not on this thread as Z has worked really hard on this and this thread should be devoted to his work. I think having that info in a new thread can help to track progress of each turbo project (and eventually we can compare notes on HP,TQ, 1/4 mil times, etc.

Last, I would like to know if anyone has contacts with companies serving imports (i.e. HKS, Greddy, AMS, APR,vinshu ect). My point is that while this motor is tricky by design, its still a motor that burns gasoline to make power. By tradition import cars have had similar limitations in the past and companies have overcome those limitations. While the v8's have had overwhelming success relative to our v6 is due to the motor being basically similar to something already on the market, but also because aftermarket companies serving up the parts specialize in that kind of motor. Not to discredit anything done by STS, but traditionally they work more on v8's rather than smaller displacement I4-v6 motors with high compression. The motors in our cars definitely fall more in line with stuff the import crowd is used to and I feel having a fresh set of eyes on this issue could help spot and correct limitations we are running into. I really think this is something we should try to explore and any distributors viewing these posts may have a good contact with some companies. That would cool!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #585
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
2jz engine does not have the high compression ratio the LLT does. The Toyota motor also has an iron block while the LLT is aluminum block and heads. The iron block simply = more hp, boost, and compression it can handle relative to an aluminum block. Finally and most obv fact is 2JZ motor was designed WITH turbos. Toyota engineers developed the motor around being a boosted motor. Its always harder understanding limitations of a N/A motor that has been converted to Forced Induction.

Can we compile a list of people who have since gone FI on the v6's to date? Maybe not on this thread as Z has worked really hard on this and this thread should be devoted to his work. I think having that info in a new thread can help to track progress of each turbo project (and eventually we can compare notes on HP,TQ, 1/4 mil times, etc.

Last, I would like to know if anyone has contacts with companies serving imports (i.e. HKS, Greddy, AMS, APR,vinshu ect). My point is that while this motor is tricky by design, its still a motor that burns gasoline to make power. By tradition import cars have had similar limitations in the past and companies have overcome those limitations. While the v8's have had overwhelming success relative to our v6 is due to the motor being basically similar to something already on the market, but also because aftermarket companies serving up the parts specialize in that kind of motor. Not to discredit anything done by STS, but traditionally they work more on v8's rather than smaller displacement I4-v6 motors with high compression. The motors in our cars definitely fall more in line with stuff the import crowd is used to and I feel having a fresh set of eyes on this issue could help spot and correct limitations we are running into. I really think this is something we should try to explore and any distributors viewing these posts may have a good contact with some companies. That would cool!
I'll start a thread called "LLT FI List." We are getting enough with turbos and NO2 to make it easier to compare and share information. If we get enough info maybe a mod could make it a sticky? Added benefit is Z gets his thread back!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #586
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
I just recently bought a faceplated 6 speed for one of my projects for the exact reasons you guys are having issues. But for the majority of daily drivers wont like the "feel" of a face plated trans. You have to take into account motor regardless of cylinders and size, more power equals upgrades to the rest of the car to work right.

My plans for my v6 car involve a big block and a face plated t56, and hopefully a solid axle conversion. I will probably end up changing out alot of things on the car in the end but with my limited budget and me doing the work I plan on building a new camaro the way I want it and not paying ALOT at once. I am mainly buying the v6 car to get a street legal body in white car that I dont have to piece together. And in the color I want
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #587
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Hey all, don't worry bout the thread Jack. I'm just glad people are stepping up and turbo-ing these bad boys!

And yes STS has a front mount intercooler.

Meth is not required but is preferred due to the "unchartered territory" we are moving not. It's not the meth injection that is causing any problems, it is mostly the ECM and Fuel system. First had trouble reading the airflow at higher psi then once that was corrected, lack of fuel at high WOT and some excessive oil blow by.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #588
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Hey all, don't worry bout the thread Jack. I'm just glad people are stepping up and turbo-ing these bad boys!

And yes STS has a front mount intercooler.

Meth is not required but is preferred due to the "unchartered territory" we are moving not. It's not the meth injection that is causing any problems, it is mostly the ECM and Fuel system. First had trouble reading the airflow at higher psi then once that was corrected, lack of fuel at high WOT and some excessive oil blow by.

That oil blow-by annoys me. Searching other threads you will see some LLT's (FI or not) are consuming oil, its coming up the breather, and a couple cars have even run low enough to pop the motor. (whether that is a human error or not remains to be unseen) But I personally have had to add oil to the motor before a 3000-mi-interval oil change, which I was very annoyed about.
I also will be installing a catch can soon.

But either way this problem needs to be addressed if we have aspirations of motors making power on FI.