Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Jaydubery

Drives: 2011 2LS Cyber Grey Metallic
Ya, I got ya. I meant new as in new to me. I was reading the other Boards and it the muffler change will void my muffler warranty? Though it's just muffler, my folks would flip if I void anything. So that might have to wait till it's all mine.

So would plasti-dip or powdercoat be better? is that the same thing etc.. and alright. That will most likely be what I do with the tires and rims in the future, I'm always on a budget but I don't want to be cheap.
Jaydubery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
If you do the muffler swap then you void your warranty on your muffler. Basically, whatever you change/swap out on the car you lose the warranty for that part. The only way you can lose your whole power-train warranty is if you tune the car.

Plasti-dipping is not the same as powder coating. Plasti-dip is basically a rubber/plastic spray paint. To do your wheels you would maybe spend like $30. Powder coating, is the wheels are painted and then baked at ~450 degrees to set the paint. They will not chip or anything, basically it is more durable than regular paint. Though you'd look to spend about $450 or more to powder coat the wheels.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
What stieger said.

Obviously they won't warranty you mufflers anymore, but it won't affect your overall warranty.

Good luck.

Last edited by kmcd; 07-06-2011 at 05:10 PM.
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
My first mod was to have the front & back bowties painted. You could do a gray or a black. Inexpensive and makes the car stand out. I had mine done at a dealer's for $75 plus they detailed it. You could probably have it done for less, or, if you're handy with paint at all, just for the cost of the paint.

Nice ride.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydubery View Post
Those exhaust run about 4 to 500? because at this point that's out of my price range but could be something to save up for. What will they change as far as the car? how it runs, sound? etc.. And i'm glad I'm not the only one that can't just drop buckets of money into the car. Though each car i've seen has been awesome.
I have the MRT V2 and was about 420 shipped then 60 install and welded...However there was another Camaro LS in the shop where I go at the same time who got a "custom" really just a Flowmaster 40series for around 120 plus about 60 install....so there are options, I would go to the V6 exhaust thread and find something on there to your liking. There are DEFINATELY some affordable options out there...also look in the marketplace, there is always someone selling there used exhaust which is perferctly fine and alot cheaper!
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
If you do the muffler swap then you void your warranty on your muffler. Basically, whatever you change/swap out on the car you lose the warranty for that part. The only way you can lose your whole power-train warranty is if you tune the car.

Plasti-dipping is not the same as powder coating. Plasti-dip is basically a rubber/plastic spray paint. To do your wheels you would maybe spend like $30. Powder coating, is the wheels are painted and then baked at ~450 degrees to set the paint. They will not chip or anything, basically it is more durable than regular paint. Though you'd look to spend about $450 or more to powder coat the wheels.
450 is a VERY high guesstimation for Powdercoating....Average for PC is around 50.$ a wheel...On the high side MAYBE 65 a wheel...If you pay more you did not shop around.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #21
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
450 is a VERY high guesstimation for Powdercoating....Average for PC is around 50.$ a wheel...On the high side MAYBE 65 a wheel...If you pay more you did not shop around.
Maybe where you are. But here, just outside of DC you'd be lucky to get under $100 a wheel.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Maybe where you are. But here, just outside of DC you'd be lucky to get under $100 a wheel.
my brother got the wheels on his rsx pc and I think he paid 375 for all 4.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #23
Jaydubery

I'll definitely look into those things, got the dealer tag off, it was hot enough that it just came right off with some fingernail help.

So the consensus is that I can get the wheels powdercoated for between 375-450$ but could Plasti- Dip for 30$, I checked out some videos on Plasti-dipping, look pretty easy, since I've worked with paint before. Definitely think buying and painting the Rims black is a better option than paying a crap load for already black ones.

If I'm swapping the muffler out who would have to do that? because i read that most professional body shops won't do that.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Yes they will, its basically just cut the old one and weld the new one, all of the hangers will be on the same spot, when i did mine, it was like a 15 minute job, and it made a ton of difference in sound
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #25
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
LS3 mufflers are 22 pounds each. I can't see the LS mufflers being heavier than that. If you want to improve the sound that is one thing, just don't expect to save any weight with them. Most of them get tossed in the trash once they come off.

Easiest way to improve your car on a budget is hit the for sale threads and get second hand parts. It may not be the most glamourous way to do it, but most of the time they will work just fine and they still accomplish your goal, improving your car. Besides, nobody else needs to know what you paid or who you paid for them do they?

You can find take off 20" rims for $400-600, you can find take off mufflers for less than 50% of new cost all over the place. Same thing with CAI's.

I took my fast food budget and gas budget and cut them in half and added that to the car fund. You would be amazed how fast you can save a couple of bucks that way.

I don't miss those days.

Good luck with your build.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #26
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
dude i was in the same position as u a few months ago, except i was a senior in high school. now going into freshman year in college, im tryin to make it look better for cheap. i also have an LS and i started with exterior and interior mods first, worry about the exhaust and engine later
Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
Jaydubery

Well what did you do as far as interior Mods?