Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Talking Dexos labeling/requirement

Hey so I'm going to be doing my own oil changes from now on on my cars. One of the questions I have regarding the Camaro is the need for dexos oils. I know that Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oils are great motor oils for our cars. As far as I know, both are dexos approved. However, some bottles will specifically say "dexos approved" whereas other bottles of the exact same oil (for instance a 5 quart jug), won't specifically say dexos approved. Technically, are all oils of that brand and type, dexos approved, even though only the 1 quart bottles specifically say it and not the 5 quart jugs? Is this something to be wary of when buying full synthetic motor oils? Hopefully some of you oil change experts can shed some light to my question.

Oh yea, how do you remove the engine cover on the Camaro V6?

Thank you all!!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
7thmaro

Drives: 2012 1LTRS
I use Amsoil 5w-30. It's supposed to be dexos approved just check their site. Mobil 1 is also dexos oil. I prefer amsoil since I've always great luck in my Harleys and other vehicles. The engine cover can be removed by removing the oil cap then it just pops up.
7thmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Pdub28

Drives: 2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2l
Well the Manual does say dexos1 or equivalent. I use valvoline and below is a message they put out...

VALVOLINE, A DIVISION OF ASHLAND INC.
RE: GM dexos specification
General Motors has issued two new global specifications dexosTM1 and dexosTM2. dexos1 is intended for use in all GM gasoline vehicles and specifically recommend for 2011 MY and later vehicles. dexos2 is intended for use in both GM gasoline and GM light duty diesel vehicles and specifically recommended for 2011MY and later vehicles. GM is primarily targeting dexos1 for the North American and Asian markets where gasoline vehicles predominate and dexos2 for the European market and other markets where there is a mix of gasoline and diesel fueled light duty vehicles.
Both dexos specifications are a combination of elements of the API/ILSAC (North American) and ACEA (European) industry specifications along with some unique Opel (GM Europe) test requirements.
Valvoline already meets all the requirements of the dexosTM2 specification with our SynPower MST 5W-30 which was also the first Mercedes Benz 229.51 approved oil available in North America. Valvoline began introducing oils meeting the dexosTM1 specification in October 2010 when we upgraded our passenger car motor oils to API
SN and ILSAC GF-5. Valvoline will not however license any of our products with General Motors. GM is taking the unusual step of charging a very significant fee for licensing that we believe will result in an unwarranted cost increase to owners of GM vehicles. Valvoline has decided that we do not want to be a part of this.
Following are some frequently asked questions about dexos.
1. If dexos is a global specification, why is there one for Europe and one for North America?
While GM desires to have a global specification they recognize that the type of products needed in Europe to meet both diesel and gasoline requirements are much more costly than the type of products needed to meet gasoline only requirements. Additionally these universal type products provide much poorer fuel efficiency than the gasoline only products so they would adversely impact GM's corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) likely resulting in heavy fines from the EPA. Please note that this in no way prohibits a consumer from using a dexosTM2 oil in a North American GM gasoline vehicle.
2. How does dexosTM1 differ from ILSAC GF-5 and API SN/Resource Conserving?
The dexosTM1 specification provides for greater control of deposits, more restrictive volatility requirements and introduces an aeration requirement. Interestingly it lacks the emissions system protection and E-85 compatibility requirements of the ILSAC and API specifications and only requires the fuel efficiency of the older ILSAC GF-4 and API SM/Energy Conserving specifications.
The more restrictive volatility requirement is likely to require greater use of synthetic base oils in dexosTM1 oils as compared to oils just meeting the API/ILSAC specifications.
Any Valvoline oil meeting the dexosTM1 specification will also meet the ILSAC GF-5 and API SN/Resource Conserving specifications.
3. Can I use dexosTM1 in a pre-2011 MY GM vehicle or in other types of vehicles?
Oils meeting the dexosTM1 1 specification are backward compatible and can be used in earlier model year GM vehicles. Oils meeting only dexosTM1 may not meet the API or ILSAC standards and should not be used in other makes. In all likelihood, however; most oils meeting dexosTM1 will also carry ILSAC GF-5 and API SN/Resource Conserving credentials and so can be used with other makes.
4. Do I have to use a dexos licensed product to maintain warranty for my 2011MY GM vehicle?
Federal law prohibits GM from requiring you to use a dexos licensed product to maintain warranty. In the owners manual it specifically states that a "dexos licensed or equivalent" product should be used. In fact GM even allows the use of ILSAC GF-4 or ILSAC GF-5 products in most vehicles if a dexos or dexos equivalent product is not readily available. Corvettes and certain other vehicles which previously required a GM 4718M type oil will require a 4718M type oil or a dexos/dexos equivalent oil.
5. Which Valvoline products will meet the dexos specifications?
The following products will meet all requirements of the dexos specification and therefore in GM's terminology will be dexos equivalent oils:
Product Grade dexos spec Other specifications
SynPower 5W-30 dexosTM1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A5
SynPower 5W-30 dexosTM1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
DuraBlend 5W-30 dexosTM1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
NextGen DuraBlend 5W-30 dexosTM1 ILSAC GF-5, API SN/Resource Conserving, ACEA A1
SynPower MST 5W-30 dexosTM2 API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4-04, ACEA C3-08, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 502.00/505.00/505.01
Thom Smith
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
Ashland Consumer Market
Pdub28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
What a first post^