Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #29
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
If straight line power is the main goal than a Camaro should not be on that list period.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #30
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
I dont think he's saying the 1LE is a bad ride, it's just he should've purchased the ZL1. BTW which is far superior to the 1LE in EVERY way. For those who dont think so, stop kidding yourselves......

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #31
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I dont think he's saying the 1LE is a bad ride, it's just he should've purchased the ZL1. BTW which is far superior to the 1LE in EVERY way. For those who dont think so, stop kidding yourselves......
HAHAHA....we ALL know that man.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #32
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Trade that thing in! And call it a leaning situation!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #33
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
I don't agree with the EVERY part of your quote. I'll agree with just about every, but not EVERY.

That American race car driver dude in that magazine show said, "the best handling one yet" or something along those lines regarding the 1LE.

I think many had concluded it was the best BALANCED Camaro of the bunch, and I speak in past tense because now we have the Z28 in the mix as a dedicated road racer.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #34
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I don't agree with the EVERY part of your quote. I'll agree with just about every, but not EVERY.

That American race car driver dude in that magazine show said, "the best handling one yet" or something along those lines regarding the 1LE.

I think many had concluded it was the best BALANCED Camaro of the bunch, and I speak in past tense because now we have the Z28 in the mix as a dedicated road racer.
I think they might indeed meant to say it is (was?) the best one yet in terms of handling characteristics. Granted, ZL1 has magna-ride to aid in handling, but additional traction and/or power which also comes at the expense of additional weight usually makes the (same) platform harder to manage, not easier. Hence, 1LE might be the better handling car, even though the sheer numbers would suggest ZL1 would have better lap times.

Well, it doesn't matter, to each his/her own.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #35
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Wrong, 1LE is lighter than ZL1, 1LE is NA which is better for track use, and 1LE pulls a higher average G on motor trends skid pad. Randy Pobst said it was the best handling Camaro to date when it came out a year after ZL1.

So it's not better in every way. Its better in straight line acceleration. With 150 more hp I would hope so.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #36
ITRIEDEL

Drives: 2013 CTS-V
GONIF, i'm in the same boat as you. I just bought my 1LE like two weeks ago and I have pondered with regret for not pulling the trigger on the ZL1 he showed me first. I wanted the 1LE but at first he thought I was talking about the ZL1... after realizing my car payment was going to be about 200 more, I decided not to do it. But over the past couple of weeks, I have thought about whether I should have done it.

But although I ponder with regret, I don't regret buying my 1LE. I love it and I’ve owned quite a bit of cars in my short lifetime. This is hands down the best performing of the bunch (not the fastest) but the best performing. It's also the most practical of all the muscle cars and tuners I’ve owned. In my honest opinion if I had a ZL1, I wouldn't drive it as much because of its value (I like some are just the average middle class guy who works his share of 9-5 and then some)

The 1LE is raw in my opinion and to be quite honest, amongst car guys, gets some well deserved respect. I hated Camaro’s before I bought my 1LE, and to be honest, I probably would be in a mustang still had I not seen this 1LE. Even my friends, who hate Camaros and have always hated Camaros, are now looking at the GM Lineup. They realize the 1LE is super balanced, middle of chart performance (in the grand scheme of things) and won't destroy your bank account in car payments. AT WILLOW SPRINGS, the 1LE is just as fast as the 2013 AUDI R8 V10!!!!!

So yes, I have thought about that ZL1 I first looked at and how much cooler I'd be driving around in it... but I think the 1LE is as close to perfection as it gets within the entire Camaro line up.

It's the porridge that's just right in the bears den.

Just my humble opinion.

Previous:
2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2012 Mustang GT 5.0 (bolt-ons)
2003 Nissan SER Spec-V
2008 Highland Green Bullitt
1994 Cobra 70mm Turbo (571rwhp)
1996 Mustang
2003 Mustang GT (bolt-ons)
1991 DSM FWD (2g hybrid)
1975 Chevrolet Camaro
1991 Corvette
1974 Chevrolet Nova
ITRIEDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #37
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
1LE owners that get it (don't suffer from fanboi-ism) know that trying to defend how much better a 1LE is to a ZL1 is akin to pissing up a rope. Being a couple hundred pounds lighter, NA, and a hair more G's on a corner doesn't trump the rest of the ZL1 package. If lap times really matter to you, the 1LE doesn't do it out of the box. The OP was only pondering whether he should have opted to go ZL1 over the 1LE on his own purchase. It doesn't matter whether the 1LE can climb walls and stick to the ceiling because the ZL1 is too fat to do that. He's simply having a bit of buyer's remorse for whatever reason. It always reminds me of a Sheryl Crow song blurb from Soak Up the Sun : "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got."

ITRIEDEL, I think you summed it up rather nicely. Most people don't listen to their gut at all during a car purchase and focus solely on the price tag. But if it kept you out of a Mustang, that makes us all happy!

GONIF, only suggestion I can make is if you really really WANT a ZL1, then find one and work a deal. But there's NOTHING WRONG WITH A 1LE!!!! Pop the hood, warranty be damned, and mod to your heart's content and MAKE IT YOURS. It's still an awesome car to do that! Hell, I'd like to trade the yellow car for a 1LE, but without an automatic version, the wife voted no.

You're at a fork in the road it appears, so as Yogi would say....take it!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #38
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
1LE owners that get it (don't suffer from fanboi-ism) know that trying to defend how much better a 1LE is to a ZL1 is akin to pissing up a rope. Being a couple hundred pounds lighter, NA, and a hair more G's on a corner doesn't trump the rest of the ZL1 package. If lap times really matter to you, the 1LE doesn't do it out of the box. The OP was only pondering whether he should have opted to go ZL1 over the 1LE on his own purchase. It doesn't matter whether the 1LE can climb walls and stick to the ceiling because the ZL1 is too fat to do that. He's simply having a bit of buyer's remorse for whatever reason. It always reminds me of a Sheryl Crow song blurb from Soak Up the Sun : "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got."

ITRIEDEL, I think you summed it up rather nicely. Most people don't listen to their gut at all during a car purchase and focus solely on the price tag. But if it kept you out of a Mustang, that makes us all happy!

GONIF, only suggestion I can make is if you really really WANT a ZL1, then find one and work a deal. But there's NOTHING WRONG WITH A 1LE!!!! Pop the hood, warranty be damned, and mod to your heart's content and MAKE IT YOURS. It's still an awesome car to do that! Hell, I'd like to trade the yellow car for a 1LE, but without an automatic version, the wife voted no.

You're at a fork in the road it appears, so as Yogi would say....take it!!
Say what? I was responding to the previous post saying the ZL1 was better in every way to the 1LE, which we both know is false. No Fanboy here just stating facts.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #39
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
It was an easy choice for us....we could afford a 1LE (barely with all the other bills) and could not afford a ZL1. The ZL1 is faster than the 1LE in every category that I have read about. Do I think you can get the 1LE to out perform a ZL1 for less than the difference in cost.....yes. Do I think you can do it and not void the warranty.....no. Thats my take. I am happy with our choice, but all 1LE owners need to realize that in the Camaro line up, our cars sit number 3 in overall performance below the Z/28 and the ZL1.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #40
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
I think what we all should try to keep in mind,...

... is that Cheverolet made a Camaro for many price points and target markets.

It isnt about which model is better or gives more bang-for-buck.

It is all about what you expect out of your purchase decision.

If I had bought a Z, I probably wouldnt drive it anywhere. A nice expensive coffee table for my ego.

If I had bought a 4 cylinder Camaro,.. I would drive it everywhere and even park it in tight parking spots at wally world.

But I bought a 1LE, ... a nice sporty car that loves corners, is somewhat unique, doesnt get to sit at wally world, may see some track time soon,... and isnt just an ego-boosting coffee table that doesnt get used.

For me,.. the perfect balance and choice.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #41
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
I think what we all should try to keep in mind,...

... is that Cheverolet made a Camaro for many price points and target markets.

It isnt about which model is better or gives more bang-for-buck.

It is all about what you expect out of your purchase decision.

If I had bought a Z, I probably wouldnt drive it anywhere. A nice expensive coffee table for my ego.

If I had bought a 4 cylinder Camaro,.. I would drive it everywhere and even park it in tight parking spots at wally world.

But I bought a 1LE, ... a nice sporty car that loves corners, is somewhat unique, doesnt get to sit at wally world, may see some track time soon,... and isnt just an ego-boosting coffee table that doesnt get used.

For me,.. the perfect balance and choice.

Very well said sir!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #42
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Don't get me wrong , I like the 1LE and knew what it and a ZL1 was B4 I bought the 1LE . I figured with a little tinkering the 1LE would be ok . But then after the mods and tune that admittedly improved the power a bit , I got a chance to drive a 2013 ZL1 with headers and a tune . Now I feel like on the street the ZL1 is a nicer ride in most every way . The fact is the 1LE is about 100 HP under powered for it's weight . So now I find myself reving it higher to get the power . I will have to just get used to driving it like that . On the other hand the instantaneous power of the ZL1 with headers and a tune gives me instant wood . Bottom line is the 1LE is still a hoot to drive ,and im keeping it for 2 years . I may yet cam and retune the 1LE if my craving for more power persists .I figure since I can do all the labor myself I can get all the parts and have the tune done for around $1100.00.
I figure I will wait to see what the 1LE feels like in October when it is cooler here in Phoenix when all cars run much better . If we had 93 octane gas here im sure that would also help because it can be tuned for 93 with more advance .