Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Bottom line is if you purchase an American made vehicle, even if it was made in Mexico or Canada, you support more US based jobs. I've heard ratios of anywhere from 6:1 to 15:1. That is if you buy a Chevy, Buick you've essentially helped employ 6 US citizens, whereas if you buy a Toyota, Honda, etc, you would only benefit 1 US employee. Assembly is just 1 small portion of the entire manufacturing process. Just cause it's put together here does not make it an American vehicle.

I've always been and always will be pro USA. But, hey it's a free country, thanks primarily to our military past and present, so we can say and buy whatever the hell we want!

USA #1.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Tag, why is this the wrong forum? I put it in the off topic discussions forum. Should I have put this somewhere else?

Oh, and I didn't intend to start the whole "what's US made and what isn't" argument. Sorry.
No buddy...I never said this was the wrong forum. I apologize, but I kinda got off topic. Killer knows how I've been trying to get folks to post in the proper forum and to not double post, read threads before posting, etc. I was just showing him new smilies I'm going to start using. Your thread belongs here in the off topic forum.

Anything 5th Gen related belongs in the top two boxes (General discussion and media forums) on the main forums page. Everything else belongs below in the members section.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #17
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Got it......thanks for the info.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Disclaimer again: I'm 100% supportive of the big-3, GM most of all naturally, but I can't help but scrutinize.

I'm totally ok with being ignorant and wrong, and I have no facts about it, just the little bit I know, so please, I'd love links to support for an argument against. But I look at it like this.

Not too many GMs, or Fords, are MADE state-side anymore. Sure, teh HQ is here...which means...a few admin and exec jobs, but the factory where they are built and the parts that are built for them are not here. THAT'S where Nissan, Toyota, BMW, etc, are getting my over the big 3 right now.

The argument of "well that money's going to overseas companies" only goes so far...the PAYCHECKS are staying here, giving Americans jobs. I respect that more than the big-3 outsourcing the jobs and only the execs reap the money from it.

Just my opinion, maybe I'm completely wrong.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #19
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Disclaimer again: I'm 100% supportive of the big-3, GM most of all naturally, but I can't help but scrutinize.

I'm totally ok with being ignorant and wrong, and I have no facts about it, just the little bit I know, so please, I'd love links to support for an argument against. But I look at it like this.

Not too many GMs, or Fords, are MADE state-side anymore. Sure, teh HQ is here...which means...a few admin and exec jobs, but the factory where they are built and the parts that are built for them are not here. THAT'S where Nissan, Toyota, BMW, etc, are getting my over the big 3 right now.
The argument of "well that money's going to overseas companies" only goes so far...the PAYCHECKS are staying here, giving Americans jobs. I respect that more than the big-3 outsourcing the jobs and only the execs reap the money from it.

Just my opinion, maybe I'm completely wrong.
Merf, the assembly process is just on step in building a vehicle. Most of GM vehicles have more than 50% of their parts made in the U.S. then shipped to the plants in Canada and Mexico for final assembly… Whereas, Toyota and Nissan are still importing up to 90% + of their parts to be “assemble” in U.S. plants (Now how can that be clamed as “Made in the U.S.”???). There is a tread on this topic with the percentage of actual “Made in the U.S.” data of almost every major car companies. Can’t find it at the moment…

Just because it’s assembled in the U.S. does not mean the parts where made here…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
ponykilla

Drives: 04 silverado ss
hey guys sorry but i got to stend up for toyota cus even tho i was born with chevy blood i use to have a toyota tundra and that thing was wonderful. it has 167000 miles on it and never gave me proboblems. and im not gonna lie some time in miss that thing. never the less LONG LIVE CHEVY!!!!
ponykilla is offline   Reply With Quote