Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
6 Shooter
Six Speed Freak

Drives: 2000 LS6 Millennium Yellow Roadster
Cool Corvette Grand Sport fills gap in price, performance

Milford -- There's now a new 'Vette in the mix.

For the 2010 Chevrolet Corvette lineup, General Motors Co. has added a Grand Sport model to fill the price and performance gap between its base model Corvette and the high performance Z06. At the top of the Corvette food chain, of course, is the ZR1.

"We felt there was a need for something in between the base model Corvette and the Z06," said Tage Juechter, chief engineer for Corvette. "Some people want a little more performance but don't want to spend over $70,000 for the Z06."

Corvette remains the market leader in the luxury sport segment, holding a 28 percent share through July, despite having seen sales fall 49 percent during the first seven months.

"It's a nice addition to the Corvette lineup," said Stephanie Brinley, a Southfield-based analyst for the automotive research and consulting firm AutoPacific. She noted the Grand Sport borrows high performance parts found in the Z06 and ZR1 but doesn't take away from those vehicles.

The wide body Grand Sport (it's about 40 mm wider than the base model) provides an open air upgrade to the base model version. Pricing starts at $55,720, about $6,000 more than the base model 'Vette.

Its look is based on the Grand Sport Corvettes released in 1963 and in 1996. It will have a more aggressive look than the base model but not as severe as the Z06. The Grand Sport replaces the Z51 performance package previously offered.

The tell-tale signs of the Grand Sport model are the optional two front fender hash marks, reminiscent of the 1996 Grand Sport models. The front fenders also include more severe slots behind the front wheels, and the back end of the car is slightly wider.

Juecter said that new Grand Sport is not simply a cosmetic makeover. The car boasts a zero-to-60 mph time of under four seconds and comes with high performance features, such as a dry sump oil pump for those who want to spend time on the track.

It also comes with Goodyear F1 supercar tires, a more aggressive suspension and a removable roof in the hardtop models. The roof pops off and can be stowed in the back in less than 30 seconds.

Corvette adds new features

While its performance has increased, its ride is less severe than the Z06. Additionally, the Grand Sport model will offer a six-speed automatic transmission. The Z06 only comes with a manual.

GM said about half of Corvette customers opt for an automatic transmission.

Harlan Charles, Corvette marketing manager, said GM has a number of new features for the family of legendary sports cars.

"All 2010 models will be available in all colors and we're adding Torch Red to the mix," he said.

Additionally, GM has developed launch control for its manual models, allowing a driver to improve his start times and become much more consistent. Typically, to have a fast launch, a driver must shut off traction control and attempt to balance the car's RPM with wheel spin. It's a difficult task that even the best drivers cannot master every time.

This launch control balances the car's engine revs and traction to provide a more fluid acceleration.

In a quick trial of the launch control on the ZR1, I was able to consistently hit 60 mph in 3.7 seconds (my best time was 3.68 seconds) with the system. When I turned it out, my times varied between 5.5 seconds and 3.83 seconds.

The ZR1 will also offer Performance Traction Management Technology, creating a programmable set of features to provide better performance on a track. The system integrates the car's selective ride, traction control and active handling systems into five settings that can improve the car's already high performance.

"This is a good time in the Corvette's life to add to it," Brinley said. "The Corvette has grown into a great vehicle that has a good balance between performance and daily usability."

Detroit News Auto Insider Article
Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
sorry but i didn't read everything but does it still have the ls3 is it tuned up or is it just better suspension looks ect??
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
looks kinda awkward...I like the idea though
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Not a huge fan of the rims or the gills behind the front wheels, but I do like the concept of another model

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
sorry but i didn't read everything but does it still have the ls3 is it tuned up or is it just better suspension looks ect??
It's the place-holder in between the base Vette and the Z06. You can also look at it as taking the Z51 option (which no longer exists), and tremendously improving it.

Motor Trend even remarked something about "this car makes us wonder why the Z06 was so great"...I doubt that they were serious...but still.

Manual Transmission versions get the Z06's dry sump oiling system, and because of that, the engines are hand-built along side the LS7 and LS9. Automatic-equipped LS3s don't get the dry-sump, and so are not hand-built.

They get essentially the Z06's suspension calibration, Z06 wheels, Z06 brakes, Z06 widebody, and Z06 transmission ratios.

Those are the biggest differences.

Handling and 0-60 times are improved from .95g to 1.0g, and 4.1 seconds to 3.9, respectively, but it maintains the 26mpg hwy figure.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I like it! Just not in yellow, or red. I'll take one in Blue please!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Darkside
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
and only $1500 UNDER invoice
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
Scotty,

With your discounts and "special service" what would one of these start at with you?
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
Love the car, color, everything except the gills.
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I love this car. If I were to buy a new vette my wish list would be

1. ZR1
2. Blue Grand Sport coupe M6
3. Z06

The reason I would take the GS over the Z06 is because the money saved from purchase would make the LS3 faster than the stock LS7. Plus I love the fender stripes.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote