Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Question Dealer trying to hose me?

I took my car in because the tranny is macking some noises from time to time. The just called me back and said that my trans pan is dented and that could be restricting flow and causing the noises and slipping I feel from time to time. Does this sound like bs?? The worse part is its $300 for a new pan filter and fluids...NOt sure what to do.

I want it fixed because im putting lt`s and a tune on this weekend so i wil not have a warranty...

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBri View Post
I took my car in because the tranny is macking some noises from time to time. The just called me back and said that my trans pan is dented and that could be restricting flow and causing the noises and slipping I feel from time to time. Does this sound like bs?? The worse part is its $300 for a new pan filter and fluids...NOt sure what to do.

I want it fixed because im putting lt`s and a tune on this weekend so i wil not have a warranty...
Shouldn't this be covered under warranty and not cost you out of pocket, or am I missing something?
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
Shouldn't this be covered under warranty and not cost you out of pocket, or am I missing something?

Your missing something ... He said the pan was dented, it does not come from the factory that way. Physical damage by the owner is not covered under warranty.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
If it's dented, that would indicate that you hit something and it wouldn't be a factory defect hence not covered by warranty. Has it done this since you bought the car or did you hit the median somewhere along the line?

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Your missing something ... He said the pan was dented, it does not come from the factory that way. Physical damage by the owner is not covered under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
If it's dented, that would indicate that you hit something and it wouldn't be a factory defect hence not covered by warranty. Has it done this since you bought the car or did you hit the median somewhere along the line?

bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I was indeed missing something. Thank you.

I'd personally pay and get it fixed...I mean, it's not too big of a bill at least. Still sucks though.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
DIY...jmho
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Ask to see the pan. If it is dented it is indeed your fault.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
I know i obviouslt dented the pan. IM askin if that could cause the tranny to act up???

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Which reminds me of a story.... four days ago, I was cruising along Hwy 18, a mountain road in Southern California. I saw a rock about the size of a basketball in the right lane. Those of us who live on the mountain and are able- bodied know that, with only rare exception, we've got an obligation to stop and move hazards like this out of the road.

Having done this many times, I knew (1) Don't stop right next to the rock, because more rocks may come from the same place IT came from, and (2) Don't even park within about 200 - 300 feet of it, because if SOMEBODY hits it before I can get out of the car, accident debris could hit my car.

Sho nuff... I got out, walked back to where the rock was... but there was a car coming, in that lane. I saw a semi- comatose old man, mouth open (and I'm pretty sure he was drooling) drive into that rock at 65 MPH.

It was an awesome spectacle. The impact was loud, smoke, rock fragments, automotive debris scattered everywhere... looked almost like an explosion from "CHiPs!" Within a few feet beyond the impact zone, a two- foot wide oil slick began, and followed the car down the road... yep, the car continued.

(Glad that I parked a distance away... and next time, it'll be even further... rocks the size of softballs skittered past the Camaro, on both sides, but never hit it... whew.)

If the guy had a lick of sense, he would have stopped. But... he kept driving. I spent a minute removing the larger remaining fragments from the road (and noted how slippery his oil spill was, which led me to notify highway patrol of the hazrd, especially to motorcyclists on the winding road), then followed the oil slick. After about one mile, the oil slick suddenly vanished... I was surprised that it took that long for every drop of oil in his Toyota Avalon to disappear. However, the road split into multiple directions at that point, so I was unable to see where he inevitably broke down...

I did, however, happen to see the car on the back of a tow truck a couple of hours later... by chance, I had an opportunity to talk to the tow truck driver. I asked him what was wrong with the car... he replied: "Stupid old man hit a big rock in the road, ripped his oil pan off... but he kept driving until his engine blew! It's toast!"

If the old geezer had thought to pull over when that catastrophic impact happened (and trust me, it was NOT even remotely subtle!), he would have gotten by with nothing but an oil pan repair. However, he was apparently of the, "If I pretend it didn't happen, then it didn't happen!" school of logic, and now his engine requires replacement, too.

So, not much to do with the current thread, I just boldly took the opportunity to make a remote segue, transform it into a hijack, and long pontification regarding yet another example of why there comes a time when "too elderly" means it's time to hang up the keys...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
I know i obviouslt dented the pan. IM askin if that could cause the tranny to act up???
Oh, and I have never heard of a dented pan causing trans problems... unless it's REALLY bashed in hard, I don't think there are any moving parts in that proximity. MAYBE it could pinch a hose and restrict fluid movement... but even that is kind of a stretch. I'd recommend a second opinion from another mechanic, perhaps a mechanic whose business doesn't benefit from denying claims...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
So, not much to do with the current thread, I just boldly took the opportunity to make a remote segue, transform it into a hijack, and long pontification regarding yet another example of why there comes a time when "too elderly" means it's time to hang up the keys...
I've known PLENTY of stupid, young drivers as well, so that logic doesn't wash.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Yes it can, the filter/pickup is at the bottom and those could be restricted by a pan problem. This could be verified by a technician checking trans pressures.

If the pan is pushed in, will need to be taken off and then the trans can be checked out further once the pan is off.

I'd contact your insurance if the estimate is real high, possibly could do a road hazard claim.

When I was a tech, a lot of engine and trans damage became insurance claims once the complete estimate was available. Dented engine or trans pan damage is pretty common from road debris. The repairs can be very expensive,
which is why it may be worth it to go the insurance route.

Last edited by Russell James; 10-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'd say you gotta pay for the damaged parts, for sure....C'mon, man. You really expect them to overlook that sort of damage and fix the tranny, and put back the damaged parts?....If replacing the pan eliminates the trans acting up, consider yourself lucky.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote