Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
diddiyo

Drives: .
Unhappy Oh come on now GM...

see, this is the kind of stuff that just can't happen right now...

GM marketing boss Mark LaNeve apparently unaware that diesel is now cheaper than gas

Quote:
LaNeve went on to claim that diesel is $1.25 a gallon more expensive than gasoline. According to the Energy Information Agency, the national average for diesel this week is $2.35 / gallon while regular gas is $2.52 or $0.17 more than diesel. Admittedly, the fact that diesel is now cheaper than 87 octane gas is a recent development (a trend that nobody is sure how long it will last), but – going on national television and quoting outdated fuel prices as a reason for your bankrupt company's business decisions... well, that doesn't strike us as a terribly hot idea.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
wow......
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Non-issue. It will go back up eventually, and like the article said it just went cheaper again.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I disagree, I don't think it's a non-issue. Basically GM is saying diesel isn't worth their time. If you are serious about making your fuel mileage numbers, dismissing diesel is fairly shortsighted. And it should be cheaper, even ultra-clean is an easier process then gas.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Diesel will not always be cheaper. It's the most sensitive to the supply-and-demand market, the more diesel needed the more expensive it will become. For the last several years it was much more expensive than regular gasoline (until just recently, but I full believe that's a fluke).

I am not vested enough to do the math but I'm betting that the ratio of cost-per-mile between the two are becoming more and more negligible as gasoline engines continue to be more efficient.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
There must be a reason over 50% of all cars sold in Europe are diesel. It needs to be investigated and I think GM is wrong in not doing so. Just read that the take rate on the new Jetta TDI is something like 34% which is significant for NA.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
CamaroHutch

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
GMs direction is towards alternative fuels, battery power in particular..... which I belive is the right direction.

2SS RS RJT

Delivery?? 5/27/09 #10630

AFTERMARKET:
Hurst STS
Borla ATAK Catback
CamaroHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
I have done the math and for me it was simple. I converted to a diesel in Oct and my 7000 lbs 2500 Silverado gets on average better fuel economy (.17 mile) then my 5200 lbs 1500 Dodge did (.20 mile). This was done base on diesel costing 2.60 and gas at 2.30, now the price is the same as gas or cheaper. Yes my diesel cost me 10k difference, but is two years newer and has about 50k less miles. When I buy a programmer and exhaust I will bump the mpg by about 2-3 and gain more hp and torque. I have also hear people say the extra maintenance cost ( oil changes and such) is more on the diesel and yes it is, but it only eats up 2/3 of the fuel savings still saving 1/3. I do a lot of towing 14k (equipment and trailer, travel trailer, etc) and can easily put 200K plus on the diesel truck that the gas would have never done with the heavy towing. Now while towing the fuel savings is even greater the the gas. So diesel is not such a bad idea. JMO

Last edited by GrnMchin; 06-08-2009 at 12:35 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That was a true statement, and a valid concern back when the decisions they reference were made...I think there's a context issue here, either at LaNeve's fault, or the publication.

As for diesel itself....the new diesel emissions standards require these engines to be approx. $4000 more expensive than a similarly-powered gas engine...plus...coupled with the traditionally higher price of diesel, and a perceived dirty/noisey characteristic of the engine....not a lot of American consumers favor it.

I still think they should do it. Push hard into the market, and advertise like the devil...it'll catch on eventually, and they'll be the go-to company for it.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
MrIcky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That was a true statement, and a valid concern back when the decisions they reference were made...I think there's a context issue here, either at LaNeve's fault, or the publication.

As for diesel itself....the new diesel emissions standards require these engines to be approx. $4000 more expensive than a similarly-powered gas engine...plus...coupled with the traditionally higher price of diesel, and a perceived dirty/noisey characteristic of the engine....not a lot of American consumers favor it.

I still think they should do it. Push hard into the market, and advertise like the devil...it'll catch on eventually, and they'll be the go-to company for it.

That's an interesting point on the $4000 more per engine. I had heard the same number but I can't remember where. However VW is making a profit on their Jetta TDI and option for option it's only $1800 over the 2.5 5 cylinder (they won't disclose the actual profit, but apparently it's a tidy sum).

I wonder if that 4000 was before they had some systems in place to beat the new requirements?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
That's an interesting point on the $4000 more per engine. I had heard the same number but I can't remember where. However VW is making a profit on their Jetta TDI and option for option it's only $1800 over the 2.5 5 cylinder (they won't disclose the actual profit, but apparently it's a tidy sum).

I wonder if that 4000 was before they had some systems in place to beat the new requirements?
The new regulation went in to effect 2006, 2007 and some last year I think and the funny thing is that the Duramax was one of the first to get done with more HP/torque and little better MPG. I will have about $1500 this year in fuel costs savings. So $500 in actual savings after maintenance cost. Now speaking car's my friends TDI get like 50 mpg compared to my 34 mpg so the cost saving for him is almost double, due to the maintenance being more comparable with my car.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 06-08-2009 at 12:21 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
MrIcky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
The new regulation went in to effect 2006, 2007 and some last year I think and the funny thing is that the Duramax was one of the first to get done with more HP/torque and little better MPG. I will have about $1500 this year in fuel costs savings. So $500 in actual savings after maintenance cost. Now speaking car's my friends TDI get like 50 mpg compared to my 34 mpg so the cost saving for him is almost double, due to the maintenance being more comparable with my car.
Those TDI's are insane for mileage. That car is probably the most underrated for mpg of any car I've seen. Gov't gives them 30/41 but everyone I know who has one is pulling closer to 35/50 in honest mileage.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
Those TDI's are insane for mileage. That car is probably the most underrated for mpg of any car I've seen. Gov't gives them 30/41 but everyone I know who has one is pulling closer to 35/50 in honest mileage.
i love the Jetta TDI vs. Prius commercial
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
There must be a reason over 50% of all cars sold in Europe are diesel. It needs to be investigated and I think GM is wrong in not doing so. Just read that the take rate on the new Jetta TDI is something like 34% which is significant for NA.
Since diesel is popular in Europe and has been for some time, a larger percentage of their refining capacity is oriented towards diesel. Their supply is strong so prices are generally lower for diesel in Europe. Growth in diesel popularity in the U.S. puts a strain on our more limited diesel production capability, putting upward pressure on prices. There's your reason.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote