Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
converted

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
Anybody else take this same hit???

To their fuel mileage? I installed a catch can and ported tb last night. Love the look and the better response but dang i lost like 3-4 mpg so far dwn to 14 from about 18 avg.

Will it get better over time maybe after computer relearns?? Im gonaa do a fuse pull this evening just in hopes it will do something. Any other suggestions?

One last thing no i did not buy this car for fuel economy just a little shocked to take a hit like this from just a ported tb.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
There are other factors at play. There is nothing about either of those mods that should result in a reduction of fuel economy. Especially when you are talking about close to a 20% drop.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
vfrider

Drives: 2012 2ss/rs mt
It might be a result of the lead that gets installed in your foot along with it. Bolt-ons tend to increase potential mileage, as they let the engine operate more efficiently as an air pump. You shouldn't take a mechanical mileage hit until a cam or a supercharger gets put in.
vfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
converted

Thats why im a little taken aback bu this. Yes you are correct last nite on the test run there was a little lead in foot disease goin on but no harder than usual i shifted before 5k the two times i did get on it purty hard.... But then the wife goes to lunch in it today(her daily driver) and she reported the mileage drop to me. I plan to put a few miles on this weekend and see if things settle out or not but i just value input from others.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by converted View Post
To their fuel mileage? I installed a catch can and ported tb last night. Love the look and the better response but dang i lost like 3-4 mpg so far dwn to 14 from about 18 avg.

Will it get better over time maybe after computer relearns?? Im gonaa do a fuse pull this evening just in hopes it will do something. Any other suggestions?

One last thing no i did not buy this car for fuel economy just a little shocked to take a hit like this from just a ported tb.
Mine did the exact same thing with the ported TB, right down to 14mpg average. Took it off and put the stock unit back on and it went back to 18. I made sure I did not drive it any different either while the ported TB was on so rule that one out. Maybe voodoo!!
BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
There are other factors at play. There is nothing about either of those mods that should result in a reduction of fuel economy. Especially when you are talking about close to a 20% drop.
Well i hope your right kinda.... Id hate to think that a cai, ported tb, axle back exhaust, and a catch can wud hurt it that bad especially since the tb took over a month to come in. What else wud you look for as being the culprit?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Don't use the DIC for fuel mileage. Do it the old fashion way with number of gallons and mileage. You will be surprised on how off the DIC is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If is spelllled wrong deal with it.
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I saw gains (mpg) when I put mine in. Figure out if your driving dtyle has changed at all since you installed them.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Average for the TB is 1-3 mpg improvement...but if there is a vac leak or the tune not correct or the driving style (usually putting foot in it more) effects it all.

And yes, dont trust the DIC...do it the old fashion way so you know for sure. The TB changes airflow and you should do the fuse pull (and make sure your running premium) and check to see if you have the weak MAF (check APEX's or GM Parts house threads on it) as the extra airflow will strain the weak MAF.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by converted View Post
Well i hope your right kinda.... Id hate to think that a cai, ported tb, axle back exhaust, and a catch can wud hurt it that bad especially since the tb took over a month to come in. What else wud you look for as being the culprit?
Really? You have all those "mods" and your looking for fuel mileage? If its hurting you that bad you and your wife bought the wrong car. You should of bought a volt so you can fill up every major holiday. You bought a 376 ci V8 a 6.2L bad azz american automobile. Get rid of the mods and when your budget allows start modding!

2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
I usually think litle88 is an ass but this time I agree, I mean its a big cubic inch V8 and the fact we are getting 14 to 16 mpg in the city is amazing to me.
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
bigbob11

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBoles View Post
I usually think litle88 is an ass but this time I agree, I mean its a big cubic inch V8 and the fact we are getting 14 to 16 mpg in the city is amazing to me.
Dam!! That's good for a couple of mpgs
bigbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Really? You have all those "mods" and your looking for fuel mileage? If its hurting you that bad you and your wife bought the wrong car. You should of bought a volt so you can fill up every major holiday. You bought a 376 ci V8 a 6.2L bad azz american automobile. Get rid of the mods and when your budget allows start modding!

To you little88 i dont think my mod list is long enough to be considerd "all those mods" secondly if you would have read my entire first post you would know that i did not buy this car for fuel economy. Yes i agree it is a bad ass american muscle car that i absolutely love. The intention of this post was merely to find out if what i was expericimg was normal as it caught me off gaurd for it to be that severe. Nor is it as you put it a budget issue i just wanted to protect my car and make sure i had not done something wrong or that was possibly hurting/damaging my car.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
How many miles could you have possibly put on it in a day to get a reasonable mpg reading? Give it a few weeks minimum before you even think about checking the mileage.