Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
sounds_good

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible
Soft water or not

We have a water softener in our house and so 1 of our outdoor faucets is fed soft water, while the other is 'regular'. The regular water isn't extremely hard water, but hard enough that we wanted a water softener.

I am assuming that I should use the softened water while washing my Camaro, but wanted to get your opinions to be sure.

Soft? Regular? Doesn't really matter?
sounds_good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Soft will make water spots less likely, and easier to remove if they were to dry, So I would say if you had access to it use it.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Soft.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Use it if you can
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
MikeInAZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE, AGM
Like others have stated, Go 100% soft water... If you happen to have any dried spots or streaks later in the day after washing it, take a spray bottle filled with soft water and dampen a microfiber, then wipe the spots off, works perfect every time.

All of the black window trim and porous plastics will last much longer with soft water as well, versus using harder water which is harsher on them, spotting, etc.

I wash all of my cars with soft water and they still look like the day I purchased them.

Nothing like a clean Camaro out there on the road...

Roto-Fab CAI, #8 Fuse Pull, 1LE Emblems, misc cosmetic changes, and a mod list that is a mile long.
MikeInAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
sounds_good

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible
Thanks so much for the input. It will be all soft, all the time.
sounds_good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Soft wash is the way to go, but remember to use less soap when washing the Camaro.....
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Our water system, including softener, is located in the garage and I had a "soft" water line ran to the outside just to wash vehicles. Previously the outside only had a faucet that was fed the water system just after the main pump, meaning it was not softened. What a difference it made, especially on my other vehicles including a black Silverado.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
Soft wash is the way to go, but remember to use less soap when washing the Camaro.....
What?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
We just built a new house in Sarasota, Fl. The builder just informed me the area has hard water and not great for washing cars.
I guess that's true. This is after I had a water line added to my garage bay to keep my Camaro clean.......
Old 07-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Cuejo

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs
Soft water cleans harder!
That's one if my company's tag lines
Cuejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
soft water will suds up the soap better, so less is needed, or so says the soft water system seller...

I wonder too, less or no minerals in the water mean no included abrasives to scratch the clear coat - logically - right?

Soft Water is def. a plus to avoid hard water spots if left to air dry. I hadda spend a good deal of time polishing my car recently 'cause the neighbor's industrial water sprinkler soaked my car, completely, while I was away and it dried in the hot sun before I could get to it. 2 coats of CGs Jet Seal 109 and a coat or two of wax didn't help protect it, btw.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
soft water will suds up the soap better, so less is needed, or so says the soft water system seller...

I wonder too, less or no minerals in the water mean no included abrasives to scratch the clear coat - logically - right?

Soft Water is def. a plus to avoid hard water spots if left to air dry. I hadda spend a good deal of time polishing my car recently 'cause the neighbor's industrial water sprinkler soaked my car, completely, while I was away and it dried in the hot sun before I could get to it. 2 coats of CGs Jet Seal 109 and a coat or two of wax didn't help protect it, btw.
Ouch. I have seen some insane water etching from sprinkler systems, quite unfortunate.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
We just built a new house in Sarasota, Fl. The builder just informed me the area has hard water and not great for washing cars.
I guess that's true. This is after I had a water line added to my garage bay to keep my Camaro clean.......

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/garden-hose-filters

Problem solved.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote