Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertog View Post
Hi Tssunami; I hope everything is now fixed but just in case the bad smell comes back; I would recomend replaicing the cabin filter; it worked for me

^^ Yes, I am going to have to do this. The smell is still lingering, I'm sure there's some residue left inside the filter or ducts. Going to give it a week and see how it goes.

Car is fixed, as far as I can tell the new windshield is seated and cured correctly. I'll know for sure after I wash the car tomorrow morning.

Drove about 30 miles home, not one rattle from the dash heat works so does the AC, everything seems as if nothing ever happened except for the lingering odor, which I am hoping will dissipate over time.

Burdick Chevrolet did a great job fixing my car. I would recommend them. GM was stand up and covered everything under my warranty. Zero dollars out of pocket. I also spoke with my service writer this morning. I asked him if GM had updated the heater core part. He told me that while he wasn't sure, that if the part kept failing repeatedly then it would be re-engineered, however not many cars have been brought back with the heater core problem a SECOND time. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will not be a reoccuring problem.

SO Glad to have my car back. You really apprecate 400+ hp after driving an impala for a few weeks
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
djamphi555

Drives: Camaro 2010
I am having the same problem. No one seems to know what is causing this. Is it not performing the TSB for the coolant lines? Did they replace the heater core with an updated part or is it the exact same one?
djamphi555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The core is the same one, it has not been updated.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
djamphi555

Drives: Camaro 2010
What does the failed part look like? Is it corroded? Just a fluke? Why are some cars affected, some are not? Will this happen again? Thanks.
djamphi555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
kfm237

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I had the coolant hose problem, but they were not able to fix it, even after 3 attempts! They wound up buying the car back! To tell if it's the coolant hose problem, the Dexcool in the reservoir tank will stink real bad if you open and smell it.. GM claimed it was the hoses not curing, but I believe it had to do with the Dexcool reacting with the hoses. The car would also stink up a garage if parked in one..
kfm237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
IOM Hokie

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I had the same issue with my SS. Heater core was the culprit also. I just got mine back this morning after spending a week at the dealer. At least the problem on mine was fixed!

Doug Thorley exhaust
CAI cold air intake
PFADT lowering springs and sways
IOM Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #21
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
My car is at a dealership as of this date for practically the same thing: smelling coolant inside the car, a gurgling sound when I turned the car off, a dry recovery tank, and the windshield would fog up. I hope GM finds a permanent fix for this persistent problem.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkoIko View Post
My car is at a dealership as of this date for practically the same thing: smelling coolant inside the car, a gurgling sound when I turned the car off, a dry recovery tank, and the windshield would fog up. I hope GM finds a permanent fix for this persistent problem.
Please let us know how service goes at the dealership. We are here if you have any questions or concerns.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #23
Newold memories

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkoIko View Post
Yep, my heater core and windshield are on order as well
2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3: K&N CAI, Eibach Pro Lowering Kit, Heritage Grill, Ceramic Tint, GM Performance Borla Exhaust, Hertz/Arc Audio Sound System, MPD1 Rear Spoiler, Rennen C-10 Wheels (20x9 w/ 275/40/20 front & 20x10.5 w/ 295/40/20 rear Continental DSW Extreme contact tires) Hurst Short Throw Shifter.

Visit us @ WWW.Facebook.com/SacramentoValleyCamaros
Newold memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #24
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
This is not good news!! I noticed this the other day and thought it might be that I haven't used it for some time... I literally have used my heater maybe ten times since owning this car (2 years)

I will check it out later today!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
Had mine replaced, I should have taken it in before my normal war expired. Luckily I have an extended one but still pain in the b

http://www.active.com/donate/napa12midastl/stlNBrekal
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Nick821

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS Convert
2013 SS convert...in the dealership today for coolant smell when heater is on. No wet carpets, no fogging. It's ruining the new car experience!
Nick821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
1SsmOkin-SS
KNIGHT LIGHTNING

Drives: '12 AGM L99 SS
Send a message via Skype™ to 1SsmOkin-SS
A/C / Heater core

As a current owner of three Chevy's, I had this problem with my "95" Silverado, and took it to my mechanic which told me I could have it bypassed to avoid having the dash taken out. So I gladly had them bypass it and haven't had a problem since. Now driving a "2012" Camaro and its going through the same problem with the coolant smell from a/c vents and leaking on the passenger floor board. Its already damaged the carpet with stains and an oily liquid. Im currently looking into having it repaired but being I don't use it nor really have a need for the heater living in a region of warm winters, I'm wondering if anyone knows if or has been given the option of Bypassing the heater core instead of having it replaced or if would be ill-advised to do so even if possible. (Of course I do want it fixed the right way, but It's my first brand new car and Im a bit on edge about having the dash and all removed potentially creating more problems)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #28
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
lets recall these

Heater cores are starting to leak causing problems for our drivers,, Not only is it expensive to fix it can also be dangerous,, Imagine you driving at a certain speed and you son or wife is on the passenger side and you son is wearing sandals or your wife is wearing heels and she screams in pain and scares the hell out of you and you lose control on the car and crash? Not very safe.. or your driving and the window keeps fogging and you can't see and you crash.. you over heat and break down somewhere and your car won't start and your in the middle of the road and some drunk a- hole hits you... Right now Chevy has issued a recall for out damn key.. because we can hit it with our knee cause the car to turn off and us losing control... sounds like the same thing if you car shut off from over heating and i have never heard of that problem,,, please file a complaint so we can all be assured if ours goes it can be fixed,, I'm starting to smell fluid and i have a 11 ss and it has 37000 miles... contact https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form... lets fix this matter...
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote