Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Elite catch can post install

Installed elite catch can yesterday on LFX. I followed the recommended procedures check all fitting afterwards drove car several hundred miles checked and small amount of oil was present in bottom of can. After warm up I now notice a audiable hissing sound sounds like vacuum leak.

Rechecked connections ( yes i used teflon tape) and I can not find any leak. Is this normal air turbulence sound for the soft rubber line now in place of my cut oem hard smaller I.D pcv hose?

To eliminate this will I need to buy oem pcv hose/line and put as much of that inline as possible or is there another solution.

If so what's part number? thanks
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Frankly i do not know as I have no noticable sounds from the line on my ss, let alone enough blowby with 1500 miles for squat, and shouldnt have for at least 70k..........The pcv system on cars is in the day a large ball bearing that when positive pressure dictated by building up enough allowed the ball to move up in the "pcv" valve venting the pressure to recirculate the gas to the carb..........Many racers would just use a vent cap with a oil screen it it and vent any pressure to outside air as any gain is really negligible to the gas mileage..........And thats your history of the pcv that the catch can may catch some oil blowby from.....Only when the cylinder heads valve seals have leaked enough pressure to build it up enough to in the old days push a ball bearing up.........and then only from one side of the top of the valve covers..........Where the cpv is now on the ss is just a link too both sides of of the cylinder heads probably as i have not torn down one of these engines to see the internals, your hissing is most likely something else...........leaking somewhere close by.......or venting? stab any hose nearby? Catch a shelby fan under the car from a slow stang? Jelous ricer fan?
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Is it possible you loosened the intake tube while installing the can? Do you have a cold air intake, or stock intake? Most often, the sucking sound comes from there.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
111wfb

Drives: Camaro
What's a catch can?
111wfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111wfb View Post
What's a catch can?
Happy reading! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109416
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Did you tighten your pet**** after you drained the catch can? I believe they are backward to the standard "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty" rule. I don't know if that could cause a hissing noise. Start your engine and hold your thumb over the end of the drain tube, it should "suck". If it's not sucking, it's good.

edit.. really? can't say petc-o-c-k? I don't know what else to call it besides drainy-thingy.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Chevyman2

your hissing is most likely something else...........leaking somewhere close by.......or venting? stab any hose nearby? Catch a shelby fan under the car from a slow stang? Jelous ricer fan?[/QUOTE]

Going to double check make sure didn't nick anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Is it possible you loosened the intake tube while installing the can? Do you have a cold air intake, or stock intake? Most often, the sucking sound comes from there.
stock did not touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111wfb View Post
What's a catch can?
happy reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Did you tighten your pet**** after you drained the catch can? I believe they are backward to the standard "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty" rule. I don't know if that could cause a hissing noise. Start your engine and hold your thumb over the end of the drain tube, it should "suck". If it's not sucking, it's good. Elite can no drain tube...

edit.. really? can't say petc-o-c-k? I don't know what else to call it besides drainy-thingy.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Chevyman2

I know it's working properly because it is catching oil and none is visible anywhere else .

I am thinking it the tubing/ hose since not as rigid causes turbulence therefore I hear what can be described as a vacuum leak sound after warmup.
Pic show of oil caught thus far
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I have an RX CC so I'm not familiar with yours but, I think we're talking really low pressure here. There are several other hoses/tubes conected to your engine - have you checked to see that you didn't crack some other fitting or loosen a hose while installing the CC?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Most likely your just hearing the flow through the lines. If you had a vacuum leak a CEL will trip.

Looks like it is doing its job. W/the Elite, make sure the line from the valve cover is to the top fitting, outlet to the IM the side.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
Installed elite catch can yesterday on LFX. I followed the recommended procedures check all fitting afterwards drove car several hundred miles checked and small amount of oil was present in bottom of can. After warm up I now notice a audiable hissing sound sounds like vacuum leak.

Rechecked connections ( yes i used teflon tape) and I can not find any leak. Is this normal air turbulence sound for the soft rubber line now in place of my cut oem hard smaller I.D pcv hose?

To eliminate this will I need to buy oem pcv hose/line and put as much of that inline as possible or is there another solution.

If so what's part number? thanks
Hey Chevyman...can you plz post some pics of the mounting of the can in your engine bay? Thanks in advance!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Chevyman2

Quote:
Hey Chevyman...can you plz post some pics of the mounting of the can in your engine bay? Thanks in advance!
Yep
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
Chevyman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Most likely your just hearing the flow through the lines. If you had a vacuum leak a CEL will trip.

Looks like it is doing its job. W/the Elite, make sure the line from the valve cover is to the top fitting, outlet to the IM the side.

That's what I think there is lots of flow.