Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Gamblinmilo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Brake Noise and Steering Wheel Shake

Hello,
I have been having problems with brake pad noise and steering wheel shake for the past several months. Below I have listed what has been done to coreect this issue but it still seems to occur and is becoming a little annoying at this point. I would like anyone suggestions as to what to do next in order to get this problem taken care of quickly and hopefully cheap as I have already dumped a bunch of money trying to fix this issue.

Already Done:
Replaced the front rotors and pads, Front end Alignment, Replaced the two front tires and had all 4 tires Road Forced balanced.

I am running slotted and drilled rotors with a mild semi metallic pad as this noise was worse when I was running the EBC redstuff pad. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Gamblinmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Was the pads bedded correctly? 90% of brake noise comes from not bedding the pads at all or doing so incorrectly.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Gamblinmilo

Followed the instructions with the rotors which call for doing 10 to 15 stops from 50mph down to 5mph without coming to complete stop. After completing this allow the car to sit and let brakes cool down. I have talked to the brake company and they said to try the bed in process again which I plan to do this weekend.

The bigger concern for me is the shake I am feeling in the steering whell when hitting higher speeds. Tired of throwing money at it looking for some solid advise to this this fixed quickly.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Wheel shake is typically a sign of a warped rotor.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Gamblinmilo

The rotors are brand new only on the car for 2 weeks and when I had the alignment, new tires and balacing completed I had them check the entire front end and they found nothing else wrong with the car. Is there anything else that could cause this problem ? It seems to me that it started once I changed to the dimpled and slotted rotors. Should I just go back to the stock rotors to see if this eliminates my problem ? Any and all help appreciated as this is just a huge annoying issue since the car is my daily driver. The problem starts once I get to 60mph and above but I only feel it in the steering wheel I don't feel any pedal shake when braking.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Over torqued lugs can warp rotors.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I had similar issue with the shake. The idiots that wear the GM certified service shirts told me it was in my mind. So far I have replaced rims, tires, struts, sways, bushings and alignment but still get it every once and awhile. Must be in my phones mind too since I recorded it.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblinmilo View Post
It seems to me that it started once I changed to the dimpled and slotted rotors. Should I just go back to the stock rotors to see if this eliminates my problem ?
Throw the old rotors on. If the vibration goes away, you know the problem is in the rotors. Let us know what you find.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Gamblinmilo

Unfortunately I don't have the original rotors anymore as I recycled them after replacing. I may just have to buy new OEM rotors and see if that fixes the problem but really hate to spend more money and it not be the fix. At this point I may just have to live with it. Thanks for all of the advise and suggestions. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
rudySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If vibration is felt at the steering wheel at highway speed is going to be balance on the tires if vibration is felt on the brake pedal and steering wheel when braking rotors having to much runout are going to be the cause
rudySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
you should take your Rotors/Camaro to a certified ASE tech and have him machine your rotors

fyi the rotors have to be on the car while they are machined

as an alternative there are always OEM rotors :(
J-Crazy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Gamblinmilo

I just had new tires installed and had all 4 road force balanced. Should I take it back and have them re-balance the tires again since the shake in the steering wheel is being felt at highway speeds 60mph and above ?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Gamblinmilo

I was told that my rotors can't be machined since they are dimpled and slotted. Is that correct ? I have been told this by multiple shops.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The problem started with the installation of the rotors if I read your post correctly. If that is accurate, the fix is in the rotors. Go back to the company you purchased the rotors from and ask them to help.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote