Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
The pre made tow hooks look awesome but I don't think that they'll work for winching a car straight. Jannetty is fabbing something on my car as I typ this so I can winch my car into the trailer. I never new there were designed holes already there. I'm worried about dragging the cable into the front lip.
Quote:
If the winch is pulling from the center of the trailer and it's pulling the car from the drivers side the drivers side will become the center point of the car while it's being winched.

The winch would need to be offset.
You can easily winch the car on the trailer with the hook being offset. I do it all the time. If the wheels stay straight, so will the car.

Since you are winching your car on a trailer, why don't you just use the tow holes on the bottom of the front frame. It's on most GMs. There are two slotted holes on either side of the frame. GM cars use a T hook for towing, Ford and Dodge use other types of hooks. I bought a V strap that has all three hooks for like $50. My winch is mounted low on the trailer so it works well. Here's what I'm talking about. Not the one I bought but same idea.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2211727...Types&var=sbar
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Jer4251
Camaro Addict

Drives: too many
how do people feel aout having one of these on a car that might never see a track? I think they are cool and you never know when u may need pulled out of somewhere. would look killer on my white Z. kinda like the SSX
1992 Z28 Z03 L98
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2
1997 Z28 Z4C
1995 Z28
Jer4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
You can easily winch the car on the trailer with the hook being offset. I do it all the time. If the wheels stay straight, so will the car.

Since you are winching your car on a trailer, why don't you just use the tow holes on the bottom of the front frame. It's on most GMs. There are two slotted holes on either side of the frame. GM cars use a T hook for towing, Ford and Dodge use other types of hooks. I bought a V strap that has all three hooks for like $50. My winch is mounted low on the trailer so it works well. Here's what I'm talking about. Not the one I bought but same idea.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2211727...Types&var=sbar
My winch needs to be centered. I carry two cars in a 48' enclosed trailer. If I offset the winch it'll upset winching in the second car.

The first I heard of the factory tow holes was tonight. Well, officially. I think the holes you guys described are the ones I'm using to tie the car down. If the car was here I'd check.

Ill see what Jannetty fabed up to winch from. I'm assuming its a single point that the hook can quickly connect to.

Thank you for the link. Ill pick that up for the C7 assuming it had the same holes.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Yeah yours is a little different than most. I have an 18 ft dove tail and my winch is in the center mounted about 6 inches off the floor. The V strap works really well. I have pulled it on the trailer with only one hook from the strap connected to the frame. The nice thing about the two foot strap is it doesn't push up on my splitter, and the only part that could contact is the nylon straps which won't scratch the underside.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Yeah yours is a little different than most. I have an 18 ft dove tail and my winch is in the center mounted about 6 inches off the floor. The V strap works really well. I have pulled it on the trailer with only one hook from the strap connected to the frame. The nice thing about the two foot strap is it doesn't push up on my splitter, and the only part that could contact is the nylon straps which won't scratch the underside.
I still may need that strap. Until I actually line the car up on the ramp with the cable on the mounting point I won't know how it's going to work. I think it's a gd idea to get one just to make it easier to carry another camaro.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
If the winch is pulling from the center of the trailer and it's pulling the car from the drivers side the drivers side will become the center point of the car while it's being winched.

The winch would need to be offset.
I understand what you are saying, but as bannonm said, as long as the wheels stay strait so will the car. The wench will not pull the car over unless there was an extreme angle on the line. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with though.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
The problem with using the small factory subframe holes to tow (if the tow truck guy can get the hook into them), is that on a flat bed tow truck (the only ones which should be used with our cars), the angle of the rough dirty chain is going to pull like a mother up on your shiny bumper, if you have the stock SS or V6 bumper, especially if you're lowered any. If you have the ZL1, 1LE, GFX, splitter, or anything else then it could be much worse...

Granted we never hope to use a tow truck,
but if it so happens that you crack your crankshaft, spin and overlap some rod bearings, then you just might need a tow,
I'm very glad I have a tow hook... :(

- Jeremy
Attached Images

JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
I understand what you are saying, but as bannonm said, as long as the wheels stay strait so will the car. The wench will not pull the car over unless there was an extreme angle on the line. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with though.
I do get what you're saying but at some point the winch point on the car will try and get in line with the winch. It's inevitable. The closer the car is to the winch the harder it will pull it over. I like the idea of having an external hook point bc I do have the ground effects but it needs to be more centered for my particular application.

Ill have to shoot over to Jannetty's and grab some pics.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

I could prob just offset a D ring on the floor in line with the tow hook but I think Teds guy is already done. Ill need to check.

Ill be impatient anyway and drive the f#*king thing in!!