Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Wash/Wax/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Angry Paint ruined by family spraying sun block!

Me and my girl friend took a little road trip to kings island yesterday for the free admission for military. We were having a great time...beautiful day, car looked great and having an awesome time. When we get back to the car there was a family spraying eachother down with sun block. I didn't think muc about it but they were spraying maybe ten feet in front of my car and the wind was blowing. Well we leave and I'm on the Interstate and I notice a what looked to be like fine gravel dust on the windshield. Just looked like a lot of little gray dots. I hit the wiper fluid and nothing happened. I get home and try cleaner without any luck. I take a cloaser look and the same grey spots that looks like dust is covering the entire front of the car. I took everything I had to try to get it off! I used detailer, soap and water, bug remover spray and even windex! I'm not sure what to do now. I'm wondering if simonize will cover it and have it fixed since the paint is stained. Maybe I'll try a clay bar...any suggestions?
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
firefighterEMT33

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
You said it, clay bar. It takes off just about everything.

1100 Order accepted at dealer: 3/15/2010 - NVTZ1X
3300 Scheduled For Production: 3/17/2010 TPW 4/5/2010
3800 Produced: 4/7/2010 2G1FT1EW3A9208281
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 4/21/2010
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/23/2010
firefighterEMT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterEMT33 View Post
You said it, clay bar. It takes off just about everything.
Do you know if a clay bar removes the simonize that the dealer put on? I think it's crap anyway and the biggest waste of money but it still provides a warrenty.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
I would go to the cosmetics, wash, wax and detail thread, the "pros" are there and should have some good info for you. Or, they might even move your thread if you ask, or they might move it automatically. But if you got the Simonize and have warranty on your paint, then I would read about what it covers and go to the dealer and let them fix it. But be careful as some dealers don't do the best paint work, at least one in Houston that I went to didn't...
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I had a hell of a time with my 2000 Toyota Camry. Sounds like the same type of thing here.

I coated that car with 2 coats of Rejex and parked it in the parking ramp. The guys were doing construction and resealing the parking ramp. That left a nice overspray all over my car. You could see some of it through the windshield and that is what I cleaned first. The claybar didn't seem to want to take it off, so I used Gunk tar and bug remover.

I then drove the car this past winter and finally removed the last of it, by scrubbing the hell out of it with the claybar, and also using the PC7424 with swirl and haze remover. There was enough overspray that it turned my orange pad gray.

You will have to reseal your car once you do that though.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
that's scary that sun block is that hard to get off a car, and that's on your skin!!
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
firefighterEMT33

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
Do you know if a clay bar removes the simonize that the dealer put on? I think it's crap anyway and the biggest waste of money but it still provides a warrenty.
I would think that it probably does. I've been told by some pretty reliable people in the industry that it removes everything from the clear coat. As stated, talk to your dealer to see what is covered and what isn't.

1100 Order accepted at dealer: 3/15/2010 - NVTZ1X
3300 Scheduled For Production: 3/17/2010 TPW 4/5/2010
3800 Produced: 4/7/2010 2G1FT1EW3A9208281
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 4/21/2010
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/23/2010
firefighterEMT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
that's scary that sun block is that hard to get off a car, and that's on your skin!!
well it's supposed to be waterproof
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
It is crap..but anyway..go ahead and clay it. Even if it takes the Simonize off, the dealer can't see the Simonize. Your warranty will be fine. I'd much rather clay my car than take it into a dealer to fix the paint. Those guys have one motto: in and out as fast as possible. That's not a recipe for a quality finish.

Your car should've been clayed the second it got home anyway...but that's neither here nor there.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
It is crap..but anyway..go ahead and clay it. Even if it takes the Simonize off, the dealer can't see the Simonize. Your warranty will be fine. I'd much rather clay my car than take it into a dealer to fix the paint. Those guys have one motto: in and out as fast as possible. That's not a recipe for a quality finish.

Your car should've been clayed the second it got home anyway...but that's neither here nor there.
Im thinking about not doing anything and taking it to the dealer. MAybe under the warrenty Ill get a repaint!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
Mixing some ammonia with water will remove your previous wax treatments. After that you will be working with your actual paint surface to do clay work or a foam buffing pad with swirl remover or a similar fine compound. If you use the wheel on your old wax you will just get a coudy surface that will drive you crazy. If you use the clay over you wax you will be wasting your time too.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
A secret most people don't know about is WD40. Besides being a lubricant it is one hec of a cleaner. It will not harm painted metal surfaces. Alittle goes a LONG ways, this doesnt mean spray it all over the car, just spray a small portion, one light squirt in a small area, and then use a soft cloth to gently rub it off. I've used WD40 for years on motorcycles especially on the painted wheels where weights are glued and you get tar and other hard to remove grime. As always, TEST it out in a small area first, but I've never had an issue using it
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl View Post
A secret most people don't know about is WD40. Besides being a lubricant it is one hec of a cleaner. It will not harm painted metal surfaces. Alittle goes a LONG ways, this doesnt mean spray it all over the car, just spray a small portion, one light squirt in a small area, and then use a soft cloth to gently rub it off. I've used WD40 for years on motorcycles especially on the painted wheels where weights are glued and you get tar and other hard to remove grime. As always, TEST it out in a small area first, but I've never had an issue using it
I tried this on my car when I had the concrete sealant overspray. That didn't work. I'm thinking that the sunscreen like the concrete sealant caused a chemical reaction. The spots are on the sealant and not on the paint.

I was still able to see water bead off of the car and it was protected through the winter. Since the rejex isn't really a wax, but a sealant this is why it wouldn't come off.

The simonize is probably a sealant, and you will have to strip the sealant off to get rid of the marks.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Im thinking about not doing anything and taking it to the dealer. MAybe under the warrenty Ill get a repaint!!!
Last thing you want is a repaint!!!
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, damaged, paint