Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Mike's Summit White 2SS, 'Elma.'

Hello all! Welcome to the build thread for my 2010 2SS/RS, Elma. I've been dreaming about these cars since I saw the concept photos leaked in, what, 2006? I have had a practical car for the last three years, and when my mom bought a Camaro a year or so ago, I was consumed with jealousy! Even so, I helped her build it never knowing she'd be selling it to me... but on October 28, 2011 at approximately 1:30PM Pacific standard time, I became the proud owner of this beautiful car. I've waited a long time, and a lot of years to get this beast. My mom now has a grand-sport to match my dad's ZR1... but I think I got the better end of the deal.

Here are some photos to show the transformation. So far we've done:
-Signed by Mr. Scott Settlemire himself at the XXX All Chevy show 2010
-Cold Air Inductions intake
-Rear black-out vinyl
-Rear chrome reverse light bezels
-Black vinyl gills
-Heritage grille
-Kooks 1 7/8" long-tubes with high-flow cats
-Dyno tune from Tom Wong's Performance of Vancouver, WA
-MGW Short-Throw Shifter
-SOLO Mach-XL cat-back
-Blue LED dome lights
-'Race Spring Mountain' decal after attending Spring Mountain Motorsports driving school March '11
-Front end, mirrors and gills clear bra'd

The plans are to lower the car and swap in some Pedders suspension parts in the near future... but for now I am facing budget constraints from the car-payment. Well worth it, though! Stay tuned. I promise I will get some more 'scenic' shots with the car as the weather warms.

It all started with some parts and a dream...

My dad (right) and good friend Joe (left) installing the headers while I kick back and snap some photos...

... and then there was the dyno tune (shameless plug for Tom Wong, great tuner!)...

423RWHP and 411 lb/feet (mustang dyno)

And then there's the heritage grille install:

... and as she sits today

Last edited by DroptopZ; 06-04-2014 at 05:31 PM.
DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
looking good.... Why do I always forget to take pictures when doing mods? haha
Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Thanks Angel! I love your SW... those wheels are sexy I may consider wheels down the line, as well... but for now, leaving her as is!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
ZoMBiE_KMF
Camaro Club of NM

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, Sold: [COTW 2/20/12]
Awesome! I like the white heritage grill.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Some new pics after a recent wash/wax... Griot's Garage wash and Meguiar's NXT wax. Did a full Rain-X of the windshield and Meguiar's leather care for the inside. I credit the beautiful day for the photos, though!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

I recently took a trip down the North Cascades highway, from Seattle to Winthrop, WA. For those who don't know, this is one of the most gorgeous drives in the US. The water off of the Ross Lake/Diablo dam looks like Mexico, and the switchbacks and twisty/turny roads are unreal. These are just a few pics from my time out there.

Best part: the gas mileage! LOL. Who says V8s are gas-hogs? This was with my foot into it a little bit

Here are just a few pics from various viewpoints:

From the top of the Ross Lake Dam:

... and pushing Shelly off

Pics on the top of the dam

At one of the stops along the way:

Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Let me start by saying that I've been hesitant for a long time about purchasing a cat-back. I helped my dad modify his 2000 FRC C5 back in the day and we went with a name-brand exhaust that we were super pumped about... It droned horribly, and it made me hesitate to do anything to my stock exhaust, which, while a bit quieter than I wanted at cruise, still sounded good.

I've got a CAI intake, Kooks LTs and high-flow cats, and I love the sound. It was menacing at WOT, but quiet at cruise (maybe a bit too quiet). However, two things got me interested in changing:

1) The stock mufflers are ugly and heavy, and
2) I'd already replaced my factory exhaust (under warrany) due to the dreaded baffle buzz once and feared it was coming back again.

I came across a deal from a member here on a basically new-in-box Solo Mach XL that I was very tempted by. After reading about the system, the thing that excited me the most was that it was advertised as having no drone. I was hesitant, but after reading reviews for several weeks (and getting a permission slip from the wife) I decided to take the plunge.

My buddy and I installed it last night with some pizza and beer, took our time and had it on in a little over two hours. The fitment is excellent, the quality is impeccable and the sound is unbelievable. On cold start, the thing could wake the dead... but it calms down after about 30 seconds and is fairly quiet for cruising unless you've got your foot into it. It's a bit louder than stock, but not obnoxiously so and you can still have a conversation in the cabin.

As far as the sound with your foot into it, it's pure s3x. If you imagine the unholy offspring of a dragon and a banshee singing death-metal, that's basically what it sounds like. Oh, and that 'cackle' that I got with the stock exhaust when it would occasionaly pop during decel? Yeah, that's louder and a little more frequent.

I've been told that the system will only sound better as time goes on... but it's been a great solution for me that will keep my neighbors (and LEOs) happy, but that's a little louder than stock (and definitely more muscular). Not to mention, I got rid of those ugly trash-cans out back.

So, that's all I've got. I'll try and post a video later if I can, but I'm at work right now. More to come.

Oh, PS: I did start my car with the factory cat-back off and open headers. I think I peed a little. Have a video of that as well. For anyone who is installing a new exhaust, this is mandatory to do it just so you can hear what it sounds like with no restrictions

Old 06-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Blown & Cammed LS3
love your thread and awesome pics from your drive. Its a fun read. Good luck with things in the future
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behic2320 View Post
love your thread and awesome pics from your drive. Its a fun read. Good luck with things in the future
Thank you sir! Your car is absolutely beautiful I haven't gotten to that level of customization due to budget constraints, but I drool over yours

Should also add that I recently put in an MGW short-throw, which is also awesome!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
SS_BONE_'MARO

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS/RS L99
Nice post. Looking forward to seeing the videos.

- J
Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Here is the after video of my Mach XL install...

Here is the before video... Not really fair since I was pulling out of the garage so you get some reverberation:

... and because, WHY NOT? I started my car with open headers after removing the factory system and before installing the new one: