Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
1LE comes with oil catch can?!?

I was catch can researching ever since I saw SUXOST order that white RX catch can and noticed that slick rick brough this up in another thread?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=catch

Then, I looked at MT's pictures of the white 1LE and look at that oil cap, it is day and night different from the regular SS's that I can see pictures off.

Does anyone with a 2013 Camaro SS have this oil cap/can as well or is this something 1LE specific?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_test/photos/
How is the RX can going to work with the 1LE set up being different like this?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Camaro 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit

The increased handling performance of the 2013 Camaro with the 1LE performance package can generate some off-road or track conditions where engine oil can be ingested into the air cleaner through the fresh air tube that connects the port within the right valve cover to the air cleaner. The Chevrolet Performance Positive Crankcase Vent (PCV) oil separator kit can improve this condition. It’s a standard part of the 1LE performance package.

The kit (part number 12653073) is included with other packaged components in the vehicle. It should not be installed during PDI at the dealership. The kit and instructions should be kept in the car. Owners are responsible for installing the oil separator in the car for track use.

The kit is designed for off-road or track use only. The production PCV system should be installed back on the vehicle when driving on public roads.

The kit is not designed for winter driving conditions (ambient temperature should be above 32° F, 0°C).

Kit Contents

The PCV oil separator kit includes:
• Main housing (Fig. 7, A)
• PCV cap/plug (Fig. 7, B)
• Connecting tube (Fig. 7, C)
• Instruction sheet

Fig 7

The kit instructions cover how to remove the PCV tube that features quick connect fittings (Fig. 8), installing the PCV cap/plug over the valve cover PCV port, and installing the PCV main housing in the oil fill neck in the valve cover. (Fig. 9)

Fig 8

Fig 9

For information about other available Chevrolet Performance parts, visit www.gmperformanceparts.com.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Mgizzle

Thank you for that, never knew that. I am confused now, this kit is "standard" on the 1LE but you are supposed to take it off on public roads and only use it for track use?

How is this different from what is on the standard SS's? Also, any idea what is inside that main housing?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
"The kit (part number 12653073) is included with other packaged components in the vehicle. It should not be installed during PDI at the dealership. The kit and instructions should be kept in the car. Owners are responsible for installing the oil separator in the car for track use."

^^^Besides that, I'll be adding a TVS and aftermarket intake so a non-issue for me at least.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Mgizzle

OK, so it sounds like it will be in the glove box for us to use when we go racing, I am really curious now how it works and if catch can's are even necessary anymore?

I still like the catch idea but man this is pretty awesome if you don't want to deal with maintance with the aftermarket catch cans.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
This will be our spring spacers. There will be dealers, not mine, that will install these or forget to put them in the car.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
nshuff

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
is there any benefit for installing for street use?
nshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Mgizzle

Well, probably same benefit as on the track, if u drive the car hard on the street. I dont see what it could hurt since it still vents to the intake instead of ambient.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nshuff View Post
is there any benefit for installing for street use?
Yes.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
BLKSS1LE

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Thank you guys for the post. My dealer just installed it on mine. But with winter coming up up I will put the original on.
BLKSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
BLKSS1LE

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
This is mine installed 1ss 1 le
Attached Images

BLKSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
That is a clean side separator....great that GM did this, but the clean side is only 3-5% of the oil ingestion, 95% plus is from the dirty side so no factory solution for that.

The ZL1/LR1/CTS-V all come with a clean side separator now as well.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
I think it was discussed in more detail in another thread. I went ahead and ordered a catch can, it'll probably be the first thing I install after delivery, then skip shift eliminator

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
I was catch can researching ever since I saw SUXOST order that white RX catch can and noticed that slick rick brough this up in another thread?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=catch

Then, I looked at MT's pictures of the white 1LE and look at that oil cap, it is day and night different from the regular SS's that I can see pictures off.

Does anyone with a 2013 Camaro SS have this oil cap/can as well or is this something 1LE specific?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_test/photos/
How is the RX can going to work with the 1LE set up being different like this?
I need to know if anyone who has been lucky enough the get their 1LE, if it really came with the catch can? i printed this info and took it to my dealer,and they knew nothing about it.They are going to find out Mon,but i have my RX for sale on here,and if it doesn't have the catch can, then i need to keep mine.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote