Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Shop around for best prices on OEM brake pads

Just thought I'd drop this nugget of info for anyone who is interested or does thier own work on thier cars for the most part.

Been shopping for front pads on my 2010 SS. It's my DD, I drive it moderately, got around 40k on the odo, it's time for pads in the front. Rears look good. Rotors look fine; should last through another set of pads. OEM pads have a good reputation as being on par with or better than many of the aftermarket ones available. I don't really mind the dust that they generate that much so I'll stick with them as they're going to be sliding on rotors already used on stock pads anyway.

Do some searching for OEM part numbers, come up with 22907156. Do some google searches, come up with various prices between 130-180 bucks for a set. Figure I'll head to the dealers in town here (Jacksonville NC) and pick up a set. Convenience and instant availability mainly. One says they don't have them in stock but can get them tomorrow. The other says they have them on stock.

Both want MSRP of 247 bucks for a set.

Back to google. Hey, what about rockauto? Haven't looked there yet. Oh looky.....AC Delco has some part numbers. Hmmmmm, the ones priced at 153 bucks look awfully similair to stock pads. What's that part number? Oh it's 171-1112. Let's try out Gm Parts Direct. They usually have good prices too and yup, best yet at 130 bucks for a confirmed part number of 22907156.

One more try at amazon with the AC-Delco part number and they have them for 99 bucks! OEM pads matching both part numbers to boot. 106.65 shipped to my door in a couple of days. Saved 147 bucks - 60%!!! For MSRP you could buy a set of pads and 2 new rotors from GM Parts Direct for less.
blakjak55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Race

Drives: 2010 2SS
Thanks for doing the research man. I'm going to order a set right now from amazon.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I don't think the AC Delco are the same as the OEM pads. The OEM pads are made by Ferodo and are the F1000 series I believe. I have not found a good place to buy them other than from the OEM parts houses. I would not trust that the AC Delco are the same pads.

When you get them, you should see either Brembo on there along with F1000 or Ferodo somewhere on the back of the pad.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Going to my dealer, looking at the box of OEM pads, they are ACDelco part# 171-1112.

You guys owe me. I got cold walking across the parking lot to get this info.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
MJM Distributing

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
Why would you want OEM pads when the Hawk Pads:

- dust less
- last longer
- bite harder
- are less noisy
- are less in price

??
MJM Distributing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM Distributing View Post
Why would you want OEM pads when the Hawk Pads:

- dust less
- last longer
- bite harder
- are less noisy
- are less in price

??
The OEM pads are a good all around pad for daily driving, some track time and autocross.

I have some Hawk HP+ on the car right now, and they are a terrible street pad, which isn't really why i'm using them. They work great and bite awesome though, just noisy and dusty as all get out.

The Hawk HPS I don't think would hold up on the track at all, although I can't really say how well the OEMs hold up to hard braking either since I never ran the OEMs on the track. I think the HPS's would only be valuable for street and autocross, and the Ceramics are just terrible for anything but putting around on the street.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Going to my dealer, looking at the box of OEM pads, they are ACDelco part# 171-1112.

You guys owe me. I got cold walking across the parking lot to get this info.
Lol, thanks. I need some street pads and wanted to try some of the OEM pads on the track as well to see if they would make a decent all around pad. I know they'll work fine for autocross and street.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 01-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
MJM Distributing

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
The OEM pads are a good all around pad for daily driving, some track time and autocross.

I have some Hawk HP+ on the car right now, and they are a terrible street pad, which isn't really why i'm using them. They work great and bite awesome though, just noisy and dusty as all get out.

The Hawk HPS I don't think would hold up on the track at all, although I can't really say how well the OEMs hold up to hard braking either since I never ran the OEMs on the track. I think the HPS's would only be valuable for street and autocross, and the Ceramics are just terrible for anything but putting around on the street.
Of course you don't like the HP Plus compound for the street (it's not really what they're designed for, as they're more for track days). The HPS (High Performance Street) are a good all-around pad good for both some occasional track days and hardcore street us. It's by far our best selling Hawk compound.
MJM Distributing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
Synner

Drives: cars
HPS is never good for any track day.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Destructo09

Quote:
Of course you don't like the HP Plus compound for the street (it's not really what they're designed for, as they're more for track days). The HPS (High Performance Street) are a good all-around pad good for both some occasional track days and hardcore street us. It's by far our best selling Hawk compound.
I bought them for track days and autocross but then realized I don't really need the HP+ for autocross and seeing as i'll be doing autocross about once a month I put some stop techs on for that duty. I think the stop techs will hold up decent for a track day or two running in a beginner group as well.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
HPS is NOT for track duty. Once it's above its limited temp range, it will lose that bite rather quickly. I have to say, it is rather startling to see vendors keep recommending HPS for track use, even if it's occasional.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
HPS is NOT for track duty. Once it's above its limited temp range, it will lose that bite rather quickly. I have to say, it is rather startling to see vendors keep recommending HPS for track use, even if it's occasional.
I agree, the HP+ isn't even really suited for somebody who has a few HPDEs under their belt and uses the brakes hard. The HPS could be potentially dangerous if the driver isn't aware of the brakes overheating.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ive got HAWK Performance ceramic pads along with drilled and slotted rotors on my SS. i personaly love them! I hated all of the dust the OEM pads made. I dont track my car, just street driving and they work great!
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Just wanted to add that I recently ordered OEM pads from Amazon/GMpartsdirect for both front and back.

The AC Delco parts are in fact Brembo's. The pads say "Brembo" on them with the logo and the box clearly states "Made in Italy".

My guess is that either AC Delco manufactures them under license from Brembo or they are the official supplier/distributor to GM on behalf of Brembo.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote