Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
tatfreak

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Unhappy Knocking noise??? Passenger side valve cover area???

Okay I got a ss ls3 ... With gt19 Cam and headers and corsa exhaust and blah blah blah.
Well anyways. So 2days ago I noticed a knocking noise ...like when I hit the gas it gets louder and faster. It's giving me ..
1. Random misfire detected
2. P0327 knock sensor circuit low input
3. Oil gage / pressure sensor malfunction

So.... What does this mean ? Someone told me to change my oil and put Lucas blah blah. Wasted 120 bucks that didnt work.
Has anyone else have had this issue ???
Is it my lifters ? My oil gage or pressure?
Ughhhh
Help please. I used to have an ex bf help me But we No longer speak lol

I'm afraid of messing up my engine or something.

Thanks y'all
tatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
The only way to get an indication is to pull the valve cover off. It could be a valve spring or rocker trunion or? Its the first place to start. In order to even get an indication you need to get more information.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
tatfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
The only way to get an indication is to pull the valve cover off. It could be a valve spring or rocker trunion or? Its the first place to start. In order to even get an indication you need to get more information.

Okay. I'll try to take off the valve cover off tomorrow if I can find some tools to borrow.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Check the torque on the rocker arms bolts its 22lbs of torque if you can get the wrench ,if all you have is a ratchet just tighten down fairly snug. Don't go crazy tight on small bolts because you will pull the threads right out of the aluminium or snap the bolt
davidscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i DO NOT recommend you touch the rockers without a torque wrench.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Not sure if you've had a chance to check under the passenger side valve cover yet, but I would definitely recommend doing that before you continue to drive it. Sure sounds valve train related, and if you break a rocker or a valve spring under load, you may be looking at an expensive repair. If it's beyond your capabilities or don't have the tools on hand, better to suck it up and pay a trusted mechanic now, better than later....$$$

Good luck!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i DO NOT recommend you touch the rockers without a torque wrench.

yes you are correct definitely should only use a torque wrench on all bolts on a LS (that's why I gave her the torque spec)

My comment was more of a heads up to her to let her know that small bolts can be very easily broken buy over tightening
davidscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
What these guys are saying^^^^^^. Buddy of mine has a 2010 with a LS3. It just dropped a valve and and destroyed pretty much everything. Don't take a chance, get it to a shop.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Just curious and please don't take this the wrong way..are you mechanically inclined? You stated you had to "borrow" tools to pop the valve cover...again NO DISRESPECT intended BUT while the actual process is "easy"..it is also "easy" as stated above to strip bolt holes, not get gasket back on properly then oil leaks etc...I LIKE workin on my ride and know the pitfalls..personally...and would hate for you to get started and end up with a bigger problem...heck if you were close enough I would do it...and FYI passenger side is more difficult than drivers..a little...
Old 09-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Since you have a cam & exhaust, I imagine you have headers.

Check for an exhaust leak, those can sound like a lifter sometimes.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
Oogabooga

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Satin Black
Id call the ex up and work out a deal......
Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
tatfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Just curious and please don't take this the wrong way..are you mechanically inclined? You stated you had to "borrow" tools to pop the valve cover...again NO DISRESPECT intended BUT while the actual process is "easy"..it is also "easy" as stated above to strip bolt holes, not get gasket back on properly then oil leaks etc...I LIKE workin on my ride and know the pitfalls..personally...and would hate for you to get started and end up with a bigger problem...heck if you were close enough I would do it...and FYI passenger side is more difficult than drivers..a little...

Okay So found the problem. Oh and yeah i try. I'm a girl that Just likes fast toys. Lol
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #13
tatfreak

Anyone know the specs???
Old 09-23-2016, 11:39 PM   #14
tatfreak

3 rockers are trashed. :(((((