Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
If its not spinning it won't feel different. The only nanny that will pull power out without spinning is tq mgt, tip-in tq mgt, etc. That can use a blend of spark reduction and/or throttle reduction to limit torque to a calculated figure.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
...It's especially embarrassing when I forget to disable them at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusdish View Post
What Do U mean by this???
When the weather is warm, I usually shut the engine down in the staging lane. The problem with this is I have to remember to disable the nannies when I restart the car for the burnout. If I don't, the guys standing around the water box are greatly amused because the TCS shuts me down when the tires start to spin.

It can also be frustrating (if not dangerous) when you go to pass someone on the highway, and all of the sudden your power is gone. It's easier to compensate for the rear wheels breaking loose than it is to compensate for a sudden lack of power when I'm in the wrong lane looking straight ahead at oncoming traffic.

I want to be the one who decides when, and how much, to get out of the throttle.

Last edited by kmcd; 09-14-2011 at 08:22 PM.
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #17
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
you can have the tcs power loss reduced by tuning, so it is still on but not as dangerous, but on city streets i would not disable stabillitrac, that is dangerous
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
..., but on city streets i would not disable stabillitrac, that is dangerous
You mean all those decades I drove a car without an onboard computer, I was cheating death?

Just kidding.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
you can have the tcs power loss reduced by tuning, so it is still on but not as dangerous, but on city streets i would not disable stabillitrac, that is dangerous
Dude...really?...I agree the car is "safer" with it all enabled...but come on...when it isn't raining...if you're expecting stability control to make you a hero...you're going to wreck the car (hopefully you won't hurt anyone else)...the only reason I have for turning them off is that when I want the car sideways, I want the car sideways...the rest of the time, I don't want to look at the lights on the dash, and the car is NOT intrusive to me at all...TC and stability control never really interfere with my commute.

I had disabled the TC systems ability to affect the engine...and all that did was force it to push through the rear brakes...so I switched it back, and I just disable it when I want it off.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
..., and the car is NOT intrusive to me at all...TC and stability control never really interfere with my commute...
Perhaps I drive too aggressively.

Seriously, though, it's frustrating when it kicks in because I forgot to turn it off. I wouldn't mind having it on in dicey weather, but this is not how I learned to drive. It may indeed be a generational thing. I fly for a living, and when the younger guys get in the ****pit, the first thing they do is turn on the autopilot. The first thing I do when I take the controls back is disengage it.

EDIT: Now the word "****pit" is not PC? What am I supposed to call it, the pilot-airplane interface station?

Last edited by kmcd; 09-14-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Does anyone know if there's a way to make the TC and StabiliTrak systems deafault to "off" instead of "on"? I'm tired of having to hold the button down for seven seconds every time I start the car.

Nanny controls, AFM, skip shift...etc. Big brother is ruining the automobile industry in America.
Why turn it off every time you get in? They should never activate (and thus be equivilant to 'off') unless you're driving recklessly...in which case - that's on you.

Nothing to do with Big Brother - everything to do with safety and the faster-than-human electronic assists that can save our lives every once in a while.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #22
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Why turn it off every time you get in? They should never activate (and thus be equivilant to 'off') unless you're driving recklessly...in which case - that's on you.

Nothing to do with Big Brother - everything to do with safety and the faster-than-human electronic assists that can save our lives every once in a while.
Reckless?

When you've logged forty mishap-free driving years and ten thousand mishap-free flight hours, we'll talk about it.

I said I would turn it on when road conditions warranted having it on. I don't consider controlling my own throttle to be a death-defying stunt.

Furthermore, I don't begrudge you driving with it on all the time. Why should you care if I want mine off?

I just asked if it could be done, not a lecture on why I shouldn't do it.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Even if I had a switch to flip instead of holding a button down for 7 seconds I would be happy. Thats 7 seconds if you held it down right the 1st time, and the 7 more when you realise you were'nt holding your mouth right.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Reckless?

When you've logged forty mishap-free driving years and ten thousand mishap-free flight hours, we'll talk about it.

I said I would turn it on when road conditions warranted having it on. I don't consider controlling my own throttle to be a death-defying stunt.

Furthermore, I don't begrudge you driving with it on all the time. Why should you care if I want mine off?

I just asked if it could be done, not a lecture on why I shouldn't do it.
I don't care if you like it off...far be it from me to judge other people's preferences, even if I can't understand them.

All I meant to say is that the road conditions either need to be bad, or the driving ...."questionable" (let's use that word, instead) for Stabilitrac to interefere worth noticing...So if the circumstances don't fit those bills...turning it off, in my opinion, becomes a mind-over-matter type deal...

No lecture. No judgement, and no offense. Just commenting and sharing my thoughts....
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #25
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
When doing a burn out, can do it fine w/o touching the button on his car.
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #26
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Sorry for the rant. Here's an interesting read on the question of pilots "becoming addicted to the autopilot." I think the same question can be asked of younger drivers who've never actually "driven" the car.

http://www.golfhotelwhiskey.com/are-...the-autopilot/

In the immortal words of Forest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that."

EDIT: Except to say this: I can tell you, based on personal experience, the TCS is not a "faster-than-human" system. I can get out of the throttle manually enough to regain traction, then get back in it quicker than the TCS will allow. And you don't have to possess Mario Andretti driving skills (I certainly don't) for this to be true. The delay waiting for the power to come back though TCS is excruciating, hence the reason for turning it off.

Last edited by kmcd; 09-14-2011 at 09:41 PM.