Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #29
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
When they get there, they need to take photos of the cars already in the parking lot...Hmmm...What WILL they see???
Exactly!
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #30
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Congressional BS

Isn't it ironic, Congress asks the three auto makers how they're going to straighten out their financial situation, but no one has the cajones to ask Congress how they intend to straighten out their's. When will we just get our heads out of our bums and drill the damn oil and drive the damn cars we want too! If I want a 430 HP Camaro and I can afford it then damn it I should be able to buy it.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #31
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
It's a Malibu Hybrid!

From the Associated Press...

GM says CEO will drive to Washington AP
posted: 6 MINUTES AGOcomments: 0PrintShare

A General Motors spokesman says Chief Executive Rick Wagoner will travel to Washington, D.C., later this week by car instead of flying a commercial airline or corporate jet.
Spokesman Tony Cervone says Wagoner will drive in a Chevrolet Malibu hybrid sedan when he makes the 520-mile trek from Detroit to Capitol Hill.
Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally also is driving from Detroit for a second appearance before two legislative committees to seek $25 billion in government loans. Chrysler LLC CEO Robert Nardelli will not travel by corporate jet. A spokeswoman says his travel plans will remain secret for security reasons.
All three executives are returning to Congress for hearings on Thursday and Friday. They are seeking the bailout loans to help them through the recession and the worst sales downturn in 25 years.
Lawmakers criticized the CEOs last month for traveling in separate private jets to seek the loans.

I do love those Malibus...
Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #32
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Robinson View Post
Isn't it ironic, Congress asks the three auto makers how they're going to straighten out their financial situation, but no one has the cajones to ask Congress how they intend to straighten out their's. When will we just get our heads out of our bums and drill the damn oil and drive the damn cars we want too! If I want a 430 HP Camaro and I can afford it then damn it I should be able to buy it.
Ditto, Al. I don't want to get started on a political rant, so I just won't say nuthin'....but your sentiments are mine exactly.

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto - ordered 10/18/08 - Polished Aluminums added 12/1/08
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #33
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Say "NO" to Politics.^
Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #34
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Say "NO" to Politics.^
I just studied politics for 9 semesters.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #35
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
LOL, Sorry Blur, I couldn't resist.

Doesn't mean you will be out of a job, you could always teach.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #36
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
I agree 100%. However, this "bailout" will give more leverage to the idiots in Washington to make the domestic auto industry slaves to Congress' wants and desires.....such as electric tricycles for all of us to drive. Say bye bye to what YOU want to drive and hello to what Congress says you SHOULD drive. What the hell is this...COMMUNISM? I'm beginning to think this country is already half gone, just waiting for the rest of the "fall of Rome".
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #37
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
True......but GM doesn't HAVE to build it.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #38
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
LOL, Sorry Blur, I couldn't resist.

Doesn't mean you will be out of a job, you could always teach.
Actually, I can't find anyone looking for a lobbyist, so I'll probably go into sales, assuming there's a business that isn't laying off all their salespeople. :(

I like the Malibu approach. It has been reviewed as superior to so many cars, given numerous awards, and delivers miles per gallon unlike much of the competition. It makes saying no to GM harder.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #39
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Just reported by AP - "Ford is asking Congress for a $9 billion "stand-by line of credit" to stabilize its business, but says it doesn't expect to tap it.

Unless one of Detroit's other Big Three auto companies goes bust, Ford expects to have enough money to make it through next year, it said in a plan that projected the firm will break even or turn a pretax profit in 2011."

Sounds to me like Ford is trying to separate itself from the two mostly to "fail" and emerge as the only one of the Big 3 that deserves to survive.

Congress doesn't seemed inclined to want to help GM or Chrysler. Ford could be the "last man standing" when all is said and done.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #40
diddiyo

Drives: .
I don't think that economically it makes a lot of sense to drive from detroit to dc. Just hop on a regular plane...
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #41
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
The Tahoe Hybrid gets 21mpg City / 22mpg Hwy. How does that qualify it as being among the most fuel efficient? The Aveo and Cobalt are among GM's best fuel efficient cars (~26 city / 34 hwy). I'm not sure pulling up in an SUV would send a message of "change" to Congress.
That answer is really pretty simple.

How many people fit into a Tahoe Hybrid versus an Aveo?

Once you figure the capacity of each vehicle into the equation, then the answer is a bit different. Let's take a shot at this.

Tahoe - Seats (assuming a front bench seat) 9 people at 22 mpg hiway you have - 9 x 22 = 198 passenger miles per gallon Hiway

Aveo- Seats 5 people at 34 mpg Hiway you have 5 x 34 = 170 passenger miles per gallon Hiway.

That's 16.4% improved fuel efficiency for the Hybrid Tahoe versus the Aveo.

Sure the numbers change depending on the number of passengers in each vehicle and how the vehicle is driven.

The capacity to move more people per mile is the defining number here.

So I would tend to disagree that a Hybrid Tahoe is not fuel efficient when loaded to capacity in comparison to the Aveo.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #42
babyjulie83
driving! Thanks GM !!!

Drives: 2SS Camaro in ABM!!!
Quote:
What about a Malibu hybrid? That would be nice
Way to go Camaropete....you called it!

Everything is better in a Camaro.......puts a smile on my face everyday.....
babyjulie83 is offline   Reply With Quote