Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
If you want to get creative how about one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Gallo...camping+shower

Hang that bad boy above your car, get some longer tubing, and wash away. Obviously water pressure will be weak but so is a bucket.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
Professional detailing is just like most professions. A lot of personal opinions of what is best based on little cold hard facts(and they usually want to sell you something. How ironic?). The saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" definitely applies to when it comes to washing a car.

People who are passionate about something can come up with some great ideas...and what are most guys more passionate about than their cars? No engineers that had too much time off and a dirty car here? I posted to collect various good ideas and see which one sounds practical for me. For example, It would be nice to fill a tank with warm water from inside, run a cheap pump or place the tank higher up and let gravity do the work with a hose with a valve and wash the car the way you would the rest of the year. Then drain the water out when your done.

I know I'm not the only one here who cares about washing their car in the winter. I like the ideas thrown out there so far. If you have a good one don't be afraid to share it!
Where the 'pump' idea falls short is the amount of pressure you'll be able to generate. Even then, if you could generate enough PSI with a portable/semi-portable pump setup of some kind the sheer amount of water required to perform a traditional rinse/soap/rinse wash process is going to make it virtually impossible.

My own flow research when working on a filter system for one of my previous employers put the water use in a traditional wash setup somewhere between 6-10 gallons of water per wash being conservative and shutting the water off when not in use and thats with GOOD water pressure. A tank based setup without the use of a pressure washer or something is going to require more water to make up for the lack of pressure generated in order to clean effectively.

So filling up in the house and transporting to the car for even that purpose puts the weight of the required water at approximate 8lbs per gallon at 48-80lbs without taking into account storage vessels, pumps, etc. Figure double that if you plan to run a pressure washer so you don't end up starving the pump for water.

I guess you could mock up some kind of cart with a 20 gallon tank, pumps, a pressure washer, etc... but at that point is it really worth it anymore? The cost to put something like that together starts to look like what I built back in the 90's on a trailer to do mobile detailing - hardly conducive to the DIY guy just looking for a way to clean a car in the winter.

The rinseless process makes so much sense b/c it reduces water run off and thus the potential for ice on the ground around your car if the weather is that cold. It requires less than 5 gallons of water to do, which can easily be transported, and lastly its safe assuming you use some means to dislodge more serious contamination in advance.

Not everytime a professional makes a recommendation is it an attempt to sell something, sometimes its just the fact that there is a legitimately superior and simple way to do something. I'm all for new ideas or a fresh approach to something, but transporting water, pumps, etc to do something you can do so much more simply seems like making something more complex for the sake of being complex, not better. A hybrid idea you might consider are the pressurized fertilizer tank sprayers you can purchase at the hardware store. Mix a tank full of a rinseless product at a weak dilution for a pre soak, it won't have the pressure (or the capacity) to rinse an entire car top to bottom, but you could use it to pre-soak lower rockers, front bumper, etc in advance of the full wash. Just a thought.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST

Last edited by DylanVK; 11-14-2014 at 10:41 AM.
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Fresh Car Care View Post
The problem with rinseless washing is the lack of knowledge on how to perform the job correctly and when it's not ok to use this method.

The video posted above by autogeek is rather disappointing. Of course, they use a car in perfect condition to advertise this product.

If you truly believe in waterless wash and rinseless wash, our quick detailer is perfect!

Geeezzz I don't understand why consumers buy products that aren't needed.

I mean if we truly wanted to, we could just slap a new label on another bottle, fill it with quick detailer and boom, waterless/rinseless wash!

Its just disappointing that we strive to show consumers the truth about the car care industry and yet people don't get it.
I don't see anything wrong with that video, it's a very short introduction to a product. If someone goes and starts using a product based off a one minute video, then they are asking for the swirls. If you are smart buyer and truly car about your car's finish, you would research further, and find this: http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-use-waterless-wash.html and this http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-use-rinseless-wash.html Both make it a point right off in the intro that it is for light dirt accumulation and a pressure washer should be used for heavy-caked-on dirt/salt.

Quick detailer doesn't work the same, technique wise, as waterless or rinseless wash which take a Gary Dean Method, very much different. There is a use for these products in varying ways, this thread is an excellent example of such. What do YOU suggest this OP do in his situation?

To talk about truth... Wasn't it your account that was just recently suspended..
Old 11-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #18
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Great input DylanVK. Thanks! It's nice to here about your experience with it. The pressurized fertilizer tank sounds look a good idea to get a presoak. I'll keep it in mind.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
DylanVK

Drives: a few
There are some pretty bold accusations about product composition here that MIGHT be true for some companies, but not all. There are a number of true waterless washing products on the market that are very different in composition from equivalent detail sprays.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
JTruck

Quote:
Well to clear the air, our account wasnt renewed for some reason. I dont see what that has to do with the subject.

Do you know what Quick Detailer and these other waterless/rinseless washes are made of? do you know what chemicals are used to make these products? We do!

Look, we are just trying to save YOU money!

If you want to buy the same product with just a different label on them that's your choice. Just trying to spread the truth about this market!
Oh I save my money, believe me. Out of anyone on this cosmetic forum I guarantee you I have received the best deals when it comes to buying products (free samples aside). I use a waterless wash as a detail spray, so yes I know the dual purpose. What is difference is the technique.

To make it clear, you can sit here and preach all day about waterless washes. But until you provide evidence, and facts like many of the detailing experts do, then you are just blowing a load of hot air.

Quote:
Dylan,

I can go for days why waterless washing and rinseless washing is just a poor choice. Ok it may be great for conserving water and people on a tight budget but lets be honest here. You sell a waterless wash to a complete novice and he goes out and wipes against the surface on a soiled car that has not been cleaned in a month, who wins here?

This is why Pre-Soaking the surface is a must. The surfacants inside a Pre-Soak are far different then that in a Quick Detailer.

The true waterless washes you speak of can you tell us what chemicals are in these bottles???????? How are they any different then lets say EM-FS-50 Fibro????
Please provide some literature on your pre-soak.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #21
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
OP, I am in Fairfax County, VA as well.

Have you considered getting it "hand-washed" at one of the local wash places?

Most do it for about $30. I watch them do it, and you can make sure they do it right.

If you want to know where, PM me.

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #22
JTruck

Quote:
While I cant go into specific details on what is behind the formula I can tell you the the surfactant inside our Pre-Soak is made to cling to the surface and dissolve dirt and grime. Were as a waterless/rinseless wash you use mimics a QD. I can tell by the vescosity and products we have brought into test. Yes we do test our competitors products. We would not be were we are today if we didn't.

So you use a waterless wash as a detail spray. You have made my point!

WHY SELL A WATERLESS WASH AND A QUICK DETAIL SPRAY IF THEY DO THE SAME THING!

Once again, please take no offense to the post. We are only here to really expose the truth about whats going on in this market and also sell amazing products at a fair price.

If you would like to call us or message us we can give you more details.

SF TEAM
Okay, so it dissolves dirt and grime, sounds good in theory. (The cling is nothing special, that's what foam is for.) But can you provide me something that shows that it does this or has some significant effect on preventing damage? I love the idea of dissolving dirt and crime prior to picking it up with a wash mitt, makes logical sense to me that it would help better suspend the debris in the lubricant. But out of the testing you have done, what can you provide that shows it's dissolving power, or a side by side of your products used with and without the pre-soak, and the difference it makes.

Here's a better example if I'm not getting my point across: Grit-guards. We all use them and they are typically a first recommendation in car care. But when they were released, the inventor didn't just say "Hey throw these things in your buckets and you will get less swirls". Instead, there was the logic behind the application, that it allows debris to settle, less water turbulence to agitate, etc.

You're fighting an up-hill battle if you are going to attempt to educate the whole detailing community about the similarities between waterless wash and detail spray. While you may say they are identical, Dylan does rebut saying there are differences. I do trust Dylan on this one. Regardless, it's not so much the idea of them being identical products, rather it should be that there are multiple purposes. Detail spray and waterless wash aren't synonymous terminologies in the detailing world, because both have wildly different techniques.

If you are wanting to "shed the light" per se on the similarities, rather than looking at it as double labeling a product, look at it as a multiple use product. Who knows, create your own new terminology for the detailing world that blankets these two techniques.

I take no offense to your posts, I enjoy the discussion.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #23
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post

Most do it for about $30. I watch them do it, and you can make sure they do it right.

Jim
He's looking to stay away from swirls. Commercial car washes will definitely do the opposite.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #24
JTruck

Quote:
Sir,

There is a lot of information about this industry that would shock you! Id just rather not go into specific details.

The difference is the formula! Once again you do not mix or manufacture car care products so you do not know what is in them or what A chemical does compared to B chemical. Our raw material supplier stocks roughly 1,000 + different chemicals.

You just responded in your other past saying you use a waterless wash as a detail spray. Are you truly missing my point here?

If you (Which you are agreeing) use a waterless wash as a detail spray whats the point in buying a Quick Detail spray. Do you not realize the misconception here!?

What makes you think you cant use a Quick Detail spray as a waterless wash?
You are ignoring what I am asking about your pre-soak. I understand you have some special set of chemicals that is unique to your pre-soak. What I'm asking for is for evidence that these chemicals do what they are claiming. Just because Chemical 'A' is supposed to dissolve dirt, and it may, does it make a significant and true difference when it comes to car care compared to lubricity suspension in a car soap.

I very much understand your point about DS and WW. Sure, you can probably use a DS as a WW, but DS isn't labeled as such nor is the technique defined when using a DS. DS is spray, wipe. WW is bucket, product, microfiber, wipe and dry. I think you are missing what I'm saying with this DS/WW, I'm not arguing with you about the chemical make-up between the two (you and Dylan can have that discussion as I have no idea), I'm saying that the names are not synonymous in the techniques you use.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #25
JTruck

Quote:
BTW, foam is just not a cool thing to look at. It plays a huge roll in decontaminating the surface while it sits and soaks.

Pre-Soaking and a pressure spray will always be a better choice then waterless wash!

SF TEAM
From what I have read and researching in the detailing community, foam is just there for cling factor. The lubricity and car soap does the rest of the suspension.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #26
JTruck

I'm sorry but I don't know how else or how many times to explain to you what I'm asking. You lost a sale from me because of the selling point you are giving is just a "trust me" it cures cancer without any type of evidence to convince me otherwise. I'm not a sheep... Very much a sheepdog.

Best,

Jordan
Old 11-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #27
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post

Jim
I have thought about doing that but every time I drive past a place like that and see the way most of them wash a car I cringe. They run around rubbing the car with a large microfiber to dry it. Life as a perfectionist can be rough...hah. Not to mention $30 is pretty expensive when you are talking about 2 cars. I would prefer to wash my cars myself and come up with a decent system that will get me through several winters up here. Where is the place that you take your car for the hand wash? I may try it if it gets painfully cold. Also, do you know of a coin op power washer car wash that's open during the winter?
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #28
1sick_eg

Drives: 14 Camaro 1LE,328i, and some Hondas
Op, whenever I travel, I just find a local self-service wash and just use their water. I bring my own buckets, products, etc. Sucks because of the cold sometimes, but it usually works out for me. I refuse to let anyone touch my paint. I detail on the side and most production detailers I've seen in the area do crap work.
1sick_eg is offline   Reply With Quote