Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Is the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro cannibalizing sales from the Corvette?
Yes: The Camaro is eating the Corvette's domestic market share 28 13.33%
No: The Corvette's Price Range begins where the Camaro leaves off 59 28.10%
No: Camaro is gaining market share at the expense of the Ford Mustang and the Dodge Challenger 100 47.62%
GTFO!: Go back to your Bimmer board you lederhosen wearing, strudel eating hooligan!!! 23 10.95%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
speed330i

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan
If everyone is buying Camaros, who is buying Corvettes?

Stupid question, but here it goes.

Given the overwhelming success of the new Chevrolet Camaro, it begs the question, Is the recent success of the Camaro coming at the expense of the Corvette's sales?

I guess another way to pose the question is, What is the Camaro's "target market" and how does that differ from a Corvette buyer?

The top of the line Camaro 2SS delivers some exceptional performance, with two rear seats to boot.

Excluding the top of the line Corvette, why would anyone purchase a Vette, when the Camaro is so very similar in performance, with a newer design.

Not trying to diss the Vette, but.....

Martin
speed330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed330i View Post
Stupid question, but here it goes.

Given the overwhelming success of the new Chevrolet Camaro, it begs the question, Is the recent success of the Camaro coming at the expense of the Corvette's sales?

I guess another way to pose the question is, What is the Camaro's "target market" and how does that differ from a Corvette buyer?

The top of the line Camaro 2SS delivers some exceptional performance, with two rear seats to boot.

Excluding the top of the line Corvette, why would anyone purchase a Vette, when the Camaro is so very similar in performance, with a newer design.

Not trying to diss the Vette, but.....

Martin
They keep "up-pricing" the Corvette just out of my (comfortable) reach. Sure, you can get a 'stripper' corvette with a bunch of discounts and all that that brings it close to a loaded 2SS/RS but then you have to give up all the cool options.

Plus, the Camaro seems to trump the Vette in build quality and styling (I hate the goofy Ferrari immitation headlamps) and think even if they were the same price the Camaro would be a better quality car. It wouldn't be as fast or as good on the track, but as reliable and fun commuter transportation the Camaro wins.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
speed330i

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan
Why not consider a used Vette? For the price of new 2010 Camaro, you can buy a gently used Vette.

I believe that I read a recent article that said that there was a decent supply of used Vette's with low miles available, especially since most traditional Vette owners tend to be in the age bracket where modding and track racing are activities of days gone by.

Well, at least that's what I heard.

I hope I don't offend any current Vette owners.

Martin
speed330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
different market. Vettes are usually bought by middle age or older guys, one reason is because they are the guys that can afford them. Working 19/20 year olds can't afford a vette for the most part (yes I know somebody will say hey I am 19 and making 100K - you are the exception).

Camaro to me has broader appeal. Kids can afford them, and older guys like me like the classic muscle car appeal. Vette is much more of a sport car with high performance and handling in mind. The camaro has a nice engine and classic look but is not a performance style sports car.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #5
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
I've seen a handful who have went from Vette to Camaro. I've seen plenty more go from Camaro to Vette.

Overall I'd say the Vette is for wealthier individuals, older people.

Here on Camaro5, you have frigging high schoolers getting this car. Talking about how they are going to afford the payments or how their rents are gonna afford payments. You don't have that at corvette forum.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed330i View Post
Why not consider a used Vette? For the price of new 2010 Camaro, you can buy a gently used Vette.

I believe that I read a recent article that said that there was a decent supply of used Vette's with low miles available, especially since most traditional Vette owners tend to be in the age bracket where modding and track racing are activities of days gone by.

Well, at least that's what I heard.

I hope I don't offend any current Vette owners.

Martin
That's a very good question. I think a lot of the camaro sales are based on "its the transformer!" type mentality. It will go away soon though. They are already becoming a staple on the road. I generally see one every day now.

The used Vette has always been a bargain, b/c their owners for some reason DEMAND heavy GM incentives. Seriously, it's ridiculous that you can get 10k off of GM's flag ship sports car. But that's the market right now.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The Camaro is an affordable performance car. It's the essence of what Pony Cars are.

The corvette is for people who want more of a status icon/performance car and can shell out a few more bucks.

Camaro's target market is

A) 50's men and women trying to look hip in their social circle
B) Heritage loyal people/car enthusiasts who want an affordable performance car with best in class attributes
C) I forget this last one...

Corvettes target market is
A) Older males who want a high performance vehicle to compete with Porsches/Ferraris/etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The Camaro is an affordable performance car. It's the essence of what Pony Cars are.

The corvette is for people who want more of a status icon/performance car and can shell out a few more bucks.

Camaro's target market is

A) 50's men and women trying to look hip in their social circle
B) Heritage loyal people/car enthusiasts who want an affordable performance car with best in class attributes
C) I forget this last one...

Corvettes target market is
A) Older males who want a high performance vehicle to compete with Porsches/Ferraris/etc.

I look so hip right now I can't stand myself.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
RMGee
Clap Clap

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3
jk
RMGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
I, for one, purchased the Camaro because it is the first GM car in a VERY long time that actually looks American again. I prefer the style of the Camaro over any other modern car on the road today -- including the almighty Corvette (which looks like an Italian car to me).

Originally, I was on the edge of whether or not to buy one, but when I heard about what kind of performance package they were putting in along with that body style -- I was sold. I believe what makes the Camaro such a success is that it has everything that American car lovers have been searching for since the 60's faded away. American style + American power + an affordable price = American appeal.

BTW -- I almost picked the last one on your poll just because it had me

Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
You know what its not a dumb question. When people ask me how much I paid for my Camaro and I tell them 40k the next question is always, why didn't you just spend a little more and get a Vette. So to those that are buying 2SS with plenty options and putting us into the 40k range its not stupid to think that the camaro is taking away some vette sales.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
Buckbo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
"If everyone is buying Camaros, who is buying Corvettes?"

Apparently not too many people. Sales were off 75% last time I saw the figures.
Buckbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I've never seen Vettes outside before at my dealer they were always inside. Last time I was there I believe they had 5 parked outside and more in the showroom. Economy or Camaro? Who knows
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
NOPE, the Camaro is EXACTLY hat I wanted, if I was in the market and wanted something like a vette, I would be getting a Caddy XLR