Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Threw engine code P0174 and P0171

2012 M6 SS 30k miles

My engine started idling very rough the other day, was fine as long as I was not idling. Engine light came on and these two codes came through. They are Bank 1 and Bank 2 fuel trim lean codes. I put some of the full fuel system cleaner from Chevron in my tank and it seemed to help a little, but it's still idling rough. The ONLY mod I have is an intake with a K&N filter. I read that sometimes the oil from those filters can clog the throttle body, however I haven't oiled that thing in two years so I doubt that's it.

I'm out of warranty so any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know where to start.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
So you haven't oiled it in 2 years, does that mean you haven't cleaned it in 2 years as well? Have you messed with the CAI or TB at all recently before the codes?
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Aikidoshadow
Rabbit of Caerbannog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
If you are having idle problems and have modified the intake you more than likely have an issue with the MAF sensor. Check to see if it is still secured in the intake and proceed to clean your air filter, throttle body, and get some MAF cleaner spray and attempt to clean the MAF sensor.

If you continue to have problems consider replacing the MAF sensor.

If your car goes into limp mode then its a throttle body problem otherwise, its probably the MAF.
Aikidoshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Wow, I've looked under the hood twice in the last two days I've driven it and only just now did I notice the damn intake had come slightly off the TB completely! Sucking in dirty air!

I fixed it, no more problems, but how bad do you think it was to drive about 30-40 miles like that?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
not that bad just having trouble metering the air....
Old 04-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Kicking up an old thread but mine just threw the same code on a completely bone stocker. Found the small hose on the left side of the intake popped off. Hope that's it��
Ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote