Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 11-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Thumbs down Some mechanics are dumb...

So there's something going on with my fuel system so I took my car in to the shop. I always do the work myself, except I'm busy until wednesday, it's 5 degrees here, and my parents said they would pay for it. The main reason why being, as soon as I start to tell the mechanic what i've done to the car he starts getting all judgmental and telling me how I probably screwed it up. My car has been running fine for the 2 months everything has been installed, so I doubt that is the reason for my troubles.

When I told him I had a performance tune he went allhigh and mighty on me and went on about how "car makers spend millions of dollars designing those tunes for a reason then punk ass kids go and throw chips on there and ruin it all.. blah blah blah" First of all, It's not a chip, and second of all, its a performance tune that is necessary after long tube headers.

Then I tell him I'm running headers and that my o2 sensors are tuned out. this threw the guy, he went on telling me how that's obviously the reason why my car isnt running right and how i must be retarded to have done something so stupid. Funny thing is, he never let me finish my sentence and tell him that only the rear o2s are gone. then he shut up.

Then of course, I had to tell him that I don't have any cats. Once again he goes on telling me that it's a $10,000 fine if I get caught without em. I did some research when I got home. the cost of the fine: No more than $2500 + cost of installing cats on vehicle. Just one more way of showing me this guys just tryin to blow smoke up my A$$

As you can probably tell, I'm ranting. I dislike stupid, ignorant people. Mechanics that are used to working on everyones 4 and 6 bangers go an pass judgement on a performance car.

I've decided that I'll just have to tough out the 5 degree weather and work on my car in the garage.

Rant over.

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
after his first reply, I would have walked out the door.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

x2....most average mechanics don't know squat about these cars and what mods do for the car. I only take mine to the guy that tunes it if I can't do the work myself.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I had a service manager tell me I was going to blow up the motor on my 87 Silverado when it was new. I added a tachometer to the fuel injected motor and this was the first year Chevy used TBI on trucks. I still have that truck today and they love it when I bring it in for inspection, the entire shop stops working to check it out. Some people are just jerks.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
StellarAuto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Sorry for 'my group' sometimes (read most of the time) being closed minded to mods/young adults under 21/females/small forrest creatures and the like hahaha. I own a shop specializing in Lexus/Toyota and do all the stuff on my (wifes) camaro except the custom tune after LT's. I know the type your talking about and they give us all a bad rep. BTW anytime one of my customers touch their own cars THEY usually screw something up inadvertently (or maybe intentionally, just to keep me on my toes). But they are usually lawyers and doctors not plumbers and mechanics. And don't read into this I'm saying if you are a doctor or lawyer you don't know how to do mechanics or plumbing! Also not trying to make excuses for my worser half, I'm in agreement w/you.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
FirstCamaro19

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Should of asked him if he could change your muffler bearings
Performance: Huron Speed Single Turbo Kit- Turbonetics T76- Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback - Ported Throttle Body - Dyno Tune - DSS One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - BMR 1.4" Lowering Springs -TSP 235/239 Lumpy Stick- Aeromotive A1000 Return Fuel System

Cosmetics: Heritage Grill - LED Dome/License Plate/and Fog Lights -8000K HID Headlight - BMR 4 Point Strut Tower Brace - Forgestar Wheels

Audio: Scosche Dash Kit - Kenwood DNX6990HD w/Nav - Prefabbed Ported Box with 1 12" Alpine Type R - Alpine PDX M12 Amp
FirstCamaro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
You get your fuel system problem squared away?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
suvalle55

Drives: 2002 arctic white v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro19 View Post
Should of asked him if he could change your muffler bearings
LOL
suvalle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
what about blinker fluid?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

Wouldn't stick around long in that sandstorm. What a maroon.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarAuto View Post
Sorry for 'my group' sometimes (read most of the time) being closed minded to mods/young adults under 21/females/small forrest creatures and the like hahaha. I own a shop specializing in Lexus/Toyota and do all the stuff on my (wifes) camaro except the custom tune after LT's. I know the type your talking about and they give us all a bad rep. BTW anytime one of my customers touch their own cars THEY usually screw something up inadvertently (or maybe intentionally, just to keep me on my toes). But they are usually lawyers and doctors not plumbers and mechanics. And don't read into this I'm saying if you are a doctor or lawyer you don't know how to do mechanics or plumbing! Also not trying to make excuses for my worser half, I'm in agreement w/you.
I hate to lump mechanics all into the same group, I have a very close friend thats a diesel mechanic, and he helps me with most of the work on my Camaro. So I know it's not everyone of you. Funny you mentioned the whole doctor/ lawyer thing.. I'm going into Pre-med next fall

The only reason I sticked around this place was because my dad has had good experience at this shop, and he wanted me to take it there (and he's paying for this so I gotta do what he wants)

And Brando, no no news yet. took the car in at 8, but, since we didn't have an appointment, they didn't even get it into the shop until 5. Typical. So I'll hopefully be getting my car back tomorrow afternoon sometime.

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
I hate to lump mechanics all into the same group, I have a very close friend thats a diesel mechanic, and he helps me with most of the work on my Camaro. So I know it's not everyone of you. Funny you mentioned the whole doctor/ lawyer thing.. I'm going into Pre-med next fall

The only reason I sticked around this place was because my dad has had good experience at this shop, and he wanted me to take it there (and he's paying for this so I gotta do what he wants)

And Brando, no no news yet. took the car in at 8, but, since we didn't have an appointment, they didn't even get it into the shop until 5. Typical. So I'll hopefully be getting my car back tomorrow afternoon sometime.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
StellarAuto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I bet since he knows your dad he'd have acted differently if you had taken your dad with. Tells you what kind of a person (and prob. tech) he is!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
There ARE good techs at dealers and service shops.....but the tech that has the knowledge base broad enough to understand performance mods and the manufacturers limitations are rare. For the past generation or two the average tech has been trained to be a "parts swapper" that diagnose using a scanner so if it is beyond that, you have a harder and harder time finding those that have trained beyond standard service. Good you knew to take it away from them.

Tell us in detail your symtoms and maybe we can help. If you need PM me.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote