Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
CarbonFiberSS-RS

Drives: IBM Carbon Fiber Stripes & GFX
Roof Ditch Cracks on RS Package?

Anyone else seeing hairline cracks along the painted roof ditch on their RS Package? Along the inner edge where the painted roof ditch molding meets the metal of the roof, I'm getting hairline cracks.

My car is IBM so the primer under the paint shows pretty easily. Both sides are showing cracks, in a few locations, all are along the inside of the roof ditch molding. The drivers side has a hairline crack that is about 24-inches long. I know picky picky…

I have not taken it to the dealer but expect since its paint related it would be covered by the warrantee. Touch up paint applied very carefully should do the trick. Of course the dealership all thumbs body guys will likely make it look like my 90-year old Grandpa applied the touch-up. I’ll put it on, Chevy can buy the touch up paint though!

I'm concerned it will continue but I'm not letting anyone paint the roof to fix the cracks, the paint miss-match issue is much larger than the cracks.

Cheers!
Kevin
CarbonFiberSS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Glad I got the 1SS without the RS package now.. You should also check the paint in the area between the bumpers since others have had paint issues there as well..
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
post some pictures!
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
optical
The Pilot

Drives: 1993 Chevy C1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
yeaa!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
CarbonFiberSS-RS

Thumbs up

Thanks Supermans, I saw the thread yesterday, but no issues yet with the body panel seams, no paint issues other than the ditch. Black Roof Ditch would have been just fine on IBM, but to give up all the other RS Package goodies was not an option! Especially those HID headlights with the Angle Eyes that make all those BMW owners drool.

Pictures to come shortly, after I visit my dealership today.

Last edited by CarbonFiberSS-RS; 06-23-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFiberSS-RS View Post
Anyone else seeing hairline cracks along the painted roof ditch on their RS Package? Along the inner edge where the painted roof ditch molding meets the metal of the roof, I'm getting hairline cracks.

My car is IBM so the primer under the paint shows pretty easily. Both sides are showing cracks, in a few locations, all are along the inside of the roof ditch molding. The drivers side has a hairline crack that is about 24-inches long. I know picky picky…

I have not taken it to the dealer but expect since its paint related it would be covered by the warrantee. Touch up paint applied very carefully should do the trick. Of course the dealership all thumbs body guys will likely make it look like my 90-year old Grandpa applied the touch-up. I’ll put it on, Chevy can buy the touch up paint though!

I'm concerned it will continue but I'm not letting anyone paint the roof to fix the cracks, the paint miss-match issue is much larger than the cracks.

Cheers!
Kevin
From the sounds of it, your problem affects ALL cars and not just RS cars. The paint cracks you speak of is on the roof and not the strips right?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Terrellford12

Drives: 2010 SS/RS & 2017 SS/RS
Terrellford12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
I sure hope paint is covered in the warrenty does anyone know ?
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
CarbonFiberSS-RS

Thumbs down Pics and Dealer Feedback

Here is pics of drivers and passenger sides of the roof ditch.

Dealer wants to hold out for a while on any repairs to see what happens as I get more miles since I only have 1k miles. One thought is that it's the clear coat is pulling away. Another is that the glue seeped out when the molding was put in place. I think base coat was thick, flexible plastic molding then cracked and pulled away from the metal roof. Should not be a problem with warranty coverage but there is no way I'm letting them mess with any paint work. Maybe a lifetime supply of IBM touch up paint would be good enough.

Kevin
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
Hmmm how big is this issue? I might cancel my RS package
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
When you had your carbon stripes installled, you didn't have any solution used in installing those stripes bead and sit in the moldings, perhaps? Just wondering..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #12
CarbonFiberSS-RS

Thumbs up Keep the RS Package

I'll use toothpicks to apply touch up before I would consider giving up the RS package. Way too much value, DRL, RS Tail-lights, red SS badges, and especially those HID lights with the "Angel Eyes" they way rock! When I drive with the pose lights on the Angle Eyes scream "Look at ME" to everyone, drool BMW drivers, mine are WAY bigger than yours!

DO NOT cancel your RS Package just because of some roof ditch paint cracks. The body panel seam cracks are much worse and those are across the board.

my-2-pesos

Last edited by CarbonFiberSS-RS; 06-25-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #13
CarbonFiberSS-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
When you had your carbon stripes installled, you didn't have any solution used in installing those stripes bead and sit in the moldings, perhaps? Just wondering..
Very good point. Dealer asked the same thing. I have not asked Mike Lavallee the airbrush artist (www.killerpaint.com) yet if his clear coat hit the roof ditch. I will talk to him next. It's not rubbing compound, I've tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush and they will not go away.

Last edited by CarbonFiberSS-RS; 06-25-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Looks like some kind of polishing compound though it's hard to tell in the photo's. I know you said it isn't but it sure looks like some type of polishing agent.