Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
is on star worth the $ ?

i live in the middle of nowhere, no chevy dealer for hundreds of miles ..and I'm wondering how often anyone has used it...i know that if i break down out in the desert I'm gona want the help.

how does it communicate?? cause my phone doesn't get a signal most of the time here..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..

Last edited by wally mayfield; 07-03-2013 at 12:29 PM.
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
It uses satellite. I don't think it is worth it, never ran it beyond the trial periods, but in your case it might be. If you crash in the middle of nowhere onstar automatically sends help too.

Side question. What does Obama have to do with there being no Chevy dealers near you?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Waste

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT M6
I'm directionally challenged when driving to uknown places.. I use the directions service often when going out. I hate fumbling with my phone for maps and I can tell the person where I'm going or the nearest business, etc. It's worth it for me at least.
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
i have navigation..that is driving me nuts..but it seems to be handy..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Not worth it to me, but then I hunt 2 weeks at a time in the wilds of Alaska with nothing but a bow & arrow and a compass. I don't get lost, I don't need directions, and I can take care of myself.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
It's like insurance, it's not worth it until you need it.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
obama put a lot of chevy dealers out of business*....i used to have one but they sell toyotas now..

* when he bought Gm for the union..

You should be happy you still have a Chevy to drive ...
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
i live in the middle of nowhere, no chevy dealer for hundreds of miles (thanks obama)..and I'm wondering how often anyone has used it...i know that if i break down out in the desert I'm gona want the help.

how does it communicate?? cause my phone doesn't get a signal most of the time here..
OnStar currently uses TDMA cellular technology for both Voice/Data. I believe they are exclusive with Verizon Wireless at the moment. I do know that OnStar is not guaranteed to work everywhere as there are dead zones. I do know on the newer vehicles, they will be embedding GSM technology and using AT&T as the carrier. You can check the coverage map here https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/coveragemap.

As for use, I personally enjoy the comfort of having OnStar, my biggest fear in the Camaro is getting in a car accident. I am 6'4, 310lbs, and will NOT be able to get out if the accident is severe enough. Knowing that OnStar will alert authorities gives me some peace of mind. Also, I find myself using the mobile app which allows me to remote start, lock, unlock my car from my iphone. You can also view fuel, oil, and tire pressure. I know that's not important to some but in this texas heat, it helps to be able to remote start from my phone. I have the full package which also gives me the Navigation which I also use a lot. I pay about $14 for everything which is a great deal if you can get them to go down on the price.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
It uses satellite. I don't think it is worth it, never ran it beyond the trial periods, but in your case it might be. If you crash in the middle of nowhere onstar automatically sends help too.
It uses GPS for location info, but uses the CDMA mobile phone system for voice and data. Not sure how well CDMA works out in BFE, though. $13/month for the 7 months/yr mine is on the road works for me.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
obama put a lot of chevy dealers out of business*....i used to have one but they sell toyotas now..

* when he bought Gm for the union..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

You should be happy you still have a Chevy to drive ...
And I will disagree with both of you here but I'll leave it at that as I don't want this to turn political.

OP: I like the piece of mind Onstar provides.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
On-star has saved my butt a few times when I locked my keys in my car. Its definitely worth the what I spend for the piece of mind
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I like it for remote start and other things....but want it for a lot less when my free sub is up.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Yes it's worth it. I use the navigation a lot. And regarding the POLITICAL statement, that's just ignorant.

In before the LOCK.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
louf

Drives: 07 sil 06 imp 04 cav 59 cad
have onstar since 2000 ,practicle and very usefull for the
times I locked my self out and your miles away from home.with the app you can start your vehicle miles away and locate it on the map
louf is offline   Reply With Quote