Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Abygale

Drives: .
Dashhawk Data Logging Question

This question is directed at Scrming and anyone else that uses the Dashhawk for data and performance logging. I'll be taking my car to Heartland Raceway next week for some fun. I want to log some data from when I'm really testing the limits of my car.

What variables do you guys normally log? I normally have my Dashhawk set up for six variable display but I know you can display more. Does it log the variables you chose to display or are the variables logged specified somewhere else?

I plan to log my 0-60 times, and will also attempt to log some 1/4 mile information as well.

Any tips or advice with using Dashhawk for data logging is appreciated.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Good Questions Abygale.......I have been thinking about getting one of these and would probably have the same questions........Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Good Questions Abygale.......I have been thinking about getting one of these and would probably have the same questions........Thanks.

I figured other people would be interested in these answers as well which is why I didn't just send a PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
This question is directed at Scrming and anyone else that uses the Dashhawk for data and performance logging. I'll be taking my car to Heartland Raceway next week for some fun. I want to log some data from when I'm really testing the limits of my car.

What variables do you guys normally log? I normally have my Dashhawk set up for six variable display but I know you can display more. Does it log the variables you chose to display or are the variables logged specified somewhere else?

I plan to log my 0-60 times, and will also attempt to log some 1/4 mile information as well.

Any tips or advice with using Dashhawk for data logging is appreciated.

If you set it up for the 0-60 or 1/4 mile, it will only log two PIDs. Default are the o2 sensors.

If you want to data log will running at the track, let the track take care of the time/speed. I will typically data log IAT temp, knock retard, timing advance, trans temp, and maybe what the o2 sensors are up to. That gives me an idea if I'm getting heat soaked, how much power I might be losing on the big end, if the tranny is ok after hotlapping.

I guess the thing is to monitor what you think might be affecting the car's performance the most so that you can fix it later, if possible. If that makes any sense at all, lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Abygale

That makes lot of sense Mrray....see you are not only good looking, but you are smart and helpful as well!

I'm going to read the user manual a little more this weekend. I had a hell of a time getting the program to run though, it won't run on my Dell laptop at all (Vista) even when I followed all the advice I could find online, but it runs on my daughter's Toshiba laptop which is not locked up nearly as secure is my laptop is.

Heat soak is something I AM interested in since I didn't do that sensor relocation mod like many of you have. I want to monitor the A/F ratios as well, but I really appreciate your suggestions and advice!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Hey Abby, where you got your Dashhawk mounted?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
That makes lot of sense Mrray....see you are not only good looking, but you are smart and helpful as well!

I'm going to read the user manual a little more this weekend. I had a hell of a time getting the program to run though, it won't run on my Dell laptop at all (Vista) even when I followed all the advice I could find online, but it runs on my daughter's Toshiba laptop which is not locked up nearly as secure is my laptop is.

Heat soak is something I AM interested in since I didn't do that sensor relocation mod like many of you have. I want to monitor the A/F ratios as well, but I really appreciate your suggestions and advice!
The A/F pid isn't an instant thing though. You'll be better off watching the o2 sensors. At least, I can read the A/F instantly. It goes straight to the commanded 14/1 and pretty much stays there.

I think the program is running on my Vista fine, although I can't remember what I did to get it to run, lol.

I've relocated my IAT back to factory. It's staying 3-5* above ambient, according to the car. With it relocated, it was well below ambient. I'm not 100% for sure if I'm going to change it back or not.

Good looking? lol, thanks, but I'm no zebra, kyle or pq..lol. Smart? You haven't talked to anyone who knows me real well, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments, and I'm sure when scrming sees this, he'll shed some light on what PIDs to data log!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Hey Abby, where you got your Dashhawk mounted?
I haven't mounted mine yet.... I'll probably consider doing that this weekend though. I'm thinking about mounting it in the driver side air vent that is just above the radio display. There really are no other good flat surfaces to mount it that are easily seen while driving.

Not sure if the mounting bracket and velcro that came with the Dashhawk are enough but I'll find out soon. I know Scrming had a post somewhere that showed how he used a radar detector mounting bracket to mount his. I'll have to find that.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
anyone have the iphone and check out that dynolicious app? seems to get a lot of great reviews and says it's pretty accurate. and it's only $13.

don't mean to hijack the thread, figured this was a good place to ask, since i'm pretty sure it can do the same things as the dashhawk.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
anyone have the iphone and check out that dynolicious app? seems to get a lot of great reviews and says it's pretty accurate. and it's only $13.

don't mean to hijack the thread, figured this was a good place to ask, since i'm pretty sure it can do the same things as the dashhawk.
Dynolicious is for performance data. Is there a program for IAT, timing, etc. monitoring on the Iphone/Ipod touch?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
2010LS

Drives: 2010 LS
mounting

I mounted mine right on top of the steering column, centered below the DIC. I doesnt block the stock gauges at all, is right where I can see it, and best of all you can totally hide the wire. I can take some pics later.
2010LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Ok Aby since I have been using the Dashhawk now for about 4 months I'm pretty much down with alot of the stuff though, Scrming will def shed light on the more in depth stuff. My current datalogging that I do is RPM, Spark Retard, Absolute load value, Intake Air Temp, and Engine Cooling Temp. Then my basic screen view is RPM, Spark Retard, Absolute load value, engine cooling temp, and the O2 B1 S1 / O2 B1 S2. Just make sure you set up your basic screen and your datalogging sets. Since you get three different sets to datalog you can do alot of different scenarios.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
Abygale

Thanks for the tips DD.....Much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
The A/F pid isn't an instant thing though. You'll be better off watching the o2 sensors. At least, I can read the A/F instantly. It goes straight to the commanded 14/1 and pretty much stays there.

I think the program is running on my Vista fine, although I can't remember what I did to get it to run, lol.

I've relocated my IAT back to factory. It's staying 3-5* above ambient, according to the car. With it relocated, it was well below ambient. I'm not 100% for sure if I'm going to change it back or not.

Good looking? lol, thanks, but I'm no zebra, kyle or pq..lol. Smart? You haven't talked to anyone who knows me real well, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments, and I'm sure when scrming sees this, he'll shed some light on what PIDs to data log!
The A/F PID is the "commanded" A/F... that's what the computer is saying it is trying to get to... it doesn't mean that is your ACTUAL A/F...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote