Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
whistle pig

Drives: whatever
I understand just fine.....Just hate the black wheels that much.
whistle pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #30
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Let's ask FBod!

Dear Fbodfather: Which wheel is lighter?

I asked Scott about the wieght of the rims and if there was a differance, he said they weigh the same.

As far as why they went with the SSX rims I got the impression from our
conversation, but not in these exact words from Scott that they were less costly to manaufacture. Therefore these got the nod, which makes perfect sence due to the fact they are trying to keep the costs down on this car so that the consumer can have the ZL1 come in at a base price to be competitive.

Now the big question will be how much more will the polished wheels cost
as an option. The SSX wheels were my original choice of the two rims,
however after seeing them, I am now leaning towards the polished wheels.
The reason for my change of heart is that the SSX wheels just have a
plastic look to them and with all the plastic that the modern cars currently
have on them already, I kinda like the polished look more. I guese just call
me old school when it comes to the rims.

Last edited by Z4me; 06-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Sweet news!!! Now - if we can just get some Pilot Cup Sport tires as an option, too... like ZR1

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #32
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
I have never cared much for black wheels. I just don't like the way a dark wheel looks in combination with a black tire.

I will definitely be ordering the polished wheels that were on the ZL1 at Chicago. I hope that the polished wheels won't be a major (much more than $500) up charge.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #33
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
If they are the same weight, then I guess I will be getting the optional ones. I hate black rims, but if they were super light, i would just get them media blasted and polished.

I am more a fan of the polished ones that have the ZL-1 entched into them.

Sweet that there is an option, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #34
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
wow, this is good news! I was on the fence with this one personally. I do like the look of the black wheels but wouldn't have got them if they weighted more. I think black and red go good together but black and black! now where talking! I still like the look of the polished ones though! especially that ZL1 logo on them....hint...hint..

If I go with black and black, Vader II will be born! hahahahaha
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #35
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Since I assumed the SSX wheels would be the optional, lighter weight wheel, I wonder if the assumption that it's a lighter wheel is true.

Do you guys still think the SSX style wheel will be lighter? Both are forged I believe. Are the guys who will be now paying extra for the machined/polished wheel only doing so due to preference of style and finish, not performance?
I know on the ZR1 these wheels will be an option(along with the Michelin Sport Cups),and GM said they weigh five pounds less than the standard wheel in that application.

I know five pounds doesn't sound like much. But remember it's unsprung weight,where every lb is equal to 6-9 lbs on the car.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #36
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
I know on the ZR1 these wheels will be an option(along with the Michelin Sport Cups),and GM said they weigh five pounds less than the standard wheel in that application.

I know five pounds doesn't sound like much. But remember it's unsprung weight,where every lb is equal to 6-9 lbs on the car.
Exactly. Taking away 20lbs of rotational mass is a pretty big thing from a performance perspective.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #37
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
If you dont like them black, you can always have them blasted and refinished.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #38
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxkx250 View Post
What color car are you wanting? On the Red I am just not feeling the black wheel.
Honestly, I haven't made my mind up yet. I'm really leaning towards either:

Gray (Currently not available for 2012. Is this permanent or is it under constraint due to the tsunami?).

Carbon Flash (If it's even available on the ZL1? I'd even be willing to go for the 45th edition with stripe delete if I had to)

The current '12 "normal" color pallet for the Camaro is looking a bit slim in my opinion.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #39
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS View Post
Carbon Flash (If it's even available on the ZL1? I'd even be willing to go for the 45th edition with stripe delete if I had to)

The current '12 "normal" color pallet for the Camaro is looking a bit slim in my opinion.
That's a very good question! Will the 45th anniversary package be available on the ZL1? If it is, then it will make my color decision a lot easier as well.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #40
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Whatever wheel comes on the ZL1, it won't please everyone. The good news is that they would be very easy to sell. Then I come into play, to supply you with some lightweight forged wheels, which probably will cost less than the GM cast aluminum wheels.

Of the two designs, I prefer the SSX showcar wheels more. I can't see them only being black though, that would turn off too many buyers. At least offer them like the Corvette does, in a few different powdercoat finishes. Black, gray, silver.

Tony
Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #41
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Whatever wheel comes on the ZL1, it won't please everyone. The good news is that they would be very easy to sell. Then I come into play, to supply you with some lightweight forged wheels, which probably will cost less than the GM cast aluminum wheels.

Of the two designs, I prefer the SSX showcar wheels more. I can't see them only being black though, that would turn off too many buyers. At least offer them like the Corvette does, in a few different powdercoat finishes. Black, gray, silver.

Tony
I'm pretty sure both ZL1 wheels are forged. I know the silver wheels the debuted in Chicago are forged for sure as they mentioned that. So these aren't your typical factory wheels.

Regardless, I'm sure there will be many that choose to go aftermarket, it's just not going to be easy to find a 20" wheel that beats the factory wheel when it comes to weight/performance.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #42
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
I'm pretty sure both ZL1 wheels are forged. I know the silver wheels the debuted in Chicago are forged for sure as they mentioned that. So these aren't your typical factory wheels.

Regardless, I'm sure there will be many that choose to go aftermarket, it's just not going to be easy to find a 20" wheel that beats the factory wheel when it comes to weight/performance.
Be careful about the term "forged". It gets tossed around a lot. These OEM wheels are likely cast aluminum centers with a "rotary forged" outer hoop. This is what is found on most "forged" OEM wheels. In the aftermarket industry, we call them flow-formed or rotary forged. Using the term "forged" in the aftermarket means the wheel was CNC machined out of a solid chunk of forged billet aluminum. There is a big difference in quality and price between rotary forged and CNC forged. Here is a post I made to help define the differences:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121777

Tony