Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Challenger vs. Camaro?

August 16, 2006

BY JOE GUY COLLIER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Chevrolet Camaro concept (General Motors)
Conspiracy or coincidence?

During a Chrysler Group news conference Tuesday showcasing the Dodge Challenger concept, a General Motors Corp. truck drove by with two Chevrolet Camaro concepts in tow.

The original Challenger and Camaro were rivals in the 1970s. The Challenger returns in 2008; the Camaro in 2009.

After the cars crossed paths Tuesday morning on Woodward Avenue in Royal Oak, Jalopnik.com, a popular auto Web site, declared: "The Muscle Car Wars Are On!" The event took place just days before the Woodward Dream Cruise, a moving shrine to muscle and classic cars.

Jason Vines, Chrysler's head of communications, stoked the controversy with a quick reply on the Web site.

"Notice the two Challengers, including the concept-to-be-production-in-'08, drove into our event while the two Camaros had to be towed," Vines said.

The folks at GM claim they weren't trying to upstage the Challenger: The Camaro concepts were simply being moved between two scheduled appearances of their own on Woodward.

"It was completely coincidental," said Chevy spokesman Travis Parman.

And, yes, Mr. Vines, the Camaros can be driven, Parman responded. Under its own power, a Camaro was driven at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January and an unveiling last week in Warren.

"We're happy to remind Jason Vines that the engine roared quite nicely," Parman said.

Vines wasn't buying it.

"They can say their lame stunt was an accident," he said.

The production Challenger still will be available to the public ahead of the Camaro, Vines added. Ford Motor Co., by the way, never abandoned the Mustang, its ever-present offering in this segment.

Isn't it nice, though, to see Detroit automakers bickering again about who has the best muscle car?

If the Challenger and Camaro concepts already are sparking controversy, just wait until the production versions arrive.

Contact JOE GUY COLLIER at 313-222-6512 or jcollier@freepress.com.

Name:  challenger.jpg
Views: 15043
Size:  105.8 KB

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 08-18-2006 at 08:31 PM.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
jbynum69
God of thunder

Drives: 95 Mustang GT
Quote from killer74z28
The production Challenger still will be available to the public ahead of the Camaro, Vines added. Ford Motor Co., by the way, never abandoned the Mustang, its ever-present offering in this segment.

Isn't it nice, though, to see Detroit automakers bickering again about who has the best muscle car?

If the Challenger and Camaro concepts already are sparking controversy, just wait until the production versions arrive.

this is awesome news !
The challenger and camaro are both on list of new cars to buy (also the new corvette ss,or stingray ,which ever its called)
I'm not even interested in the new ford crudra (cobra) ,I drove the new saleen and stage 2 roush mustangs. Looks like an oversized ford galaxy mixed with a 68 fastback mustang 2+2. and weigh about the same as a f150 truck.

The war between these 2 big muscle car companies is a needed fixture for america and its just as important to the morale of the country in this time of unrest(just like the late 60's when they were first introduced). It keeps an old saying true about america and its love for freedom of choice " AMerican's will never stop fighting the good fight for the freedom to have what they want and the freedom to brag about it in the streets"

My first car was a 72 ss
I've owned 9 camaro's over the yrs...:

Last edited by jbynum69; 08-18-2006 at 04:30 AM. Reason: addition to story
jbynum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Twin Turbo

Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
That's a funny story.

As long as the "war" remains light hearted, it's no bad thing. The World needs more muscle cars. Not just the Camaro, but the Challenger and new Mustang models too. Note that I said the World, not just you lucky Americans. I'd love to the these beasts being officially sold over here in England.

Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/whos-t...dge-194361.php

Who's Tweakin' Jason Vines And Challenging Dodge?
READ MORE: 2006 woodward dream cruise, camaro,

Name:  vines.bmp
Views: 23210
Size:  272.7 KB

So our boy, Chrysler PR man extraordinaire, Jason Vines, was looking rather worried there behind the Dodge Challenger concept car at the PT Cruiser and Dodge Challenger press event this AM. At the time, we couldn't figure out exactly why -- and although it seemed like he was looking at something over on Woodward Avenue we'd had too little caffeine to justify something as simple as turning around and looking. It wasn't until we were glancing through main-man-with-the-cam James LaMoreaux's photos a few minutes ago that we realized why he was wearing such an annoyed face. Click the jump to find out what was driving by.

Name:  vines camaro.bmp
Views: 14015
Size:  207.9 KB

That's correct -- the General was engaging in a bit of tweaking of the German-American hybrid by driving by in the made-for-the-Dream-Cruise Camaro trailer we saw all weekend long. But since Dodge got the laugh last time, confirming the pony's return well before the Camaro, it only makes sense that Chevy'd be engaging in some good ol' fashioned nipple twistin'. But remember, the Challenger will probably get the last laugh, because Dodge's announced its pony car will be a 2008 model year vehicle -- versus Chevrolet's 2009 model year release of the Camaro. Of course, we've no idea what the new man at the helm of Chevy PR, Terry Rhadigan's -- or Camaro PR-stud Travis Parman, for that matter -- got up their sleeves next. Be on guard Jason, the General's a-comin' for the maker of the General Lee.

Looks like this Muscle Car "cold war" just turned hot -- and just in time for the world's largest single-day classic car cruise. To recap -- earlier today at a Chrysler Group press event, the PR peeps from Chevy made a point of letting the Chrysler folks know that they were stepping on the Generals turf by driving their bowtied Camaro trailer past the event -- almost goading the Chrysler Group into a West Side Story-like knife fight. And oh-ho-ho, it worked. The chief PR man from the German-American hybrid has stepped up to the plate with a comment, and he wants Chevy PR newbie Terry Rhadigan to know exactly where his little pony and Chevys little pony stand (or drive):

Response from "your boy": Yo! Notice the two Challengers, including the concept-to-be- production-in-08, drove into our event while the two Camaros had to be towed. And Mr. Rhadigan, I'll get you buddy!
-Jason Vines

Oh boy, we're totally taking bets for a concept car versus concept car drag race down Woodward Avenue at high noon this Saturday at the Dream Cruise. But since they're both concepts, stop light to stop light won't quite work, so we guess it'll be the first one to 50mph, or whichever motor falls first from the engine bay of the pony.

Of course FoMoCo could try to spoil with a Shelby 'stang. Anyone got Charlie Holleran's number out in Dearborn?
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
jbynum69
God of thunder

killer74z28 you are a god amongst men! you know how to bring the sting back to life with this new investment of old fashion mud slingin. I do like the looked over our shoulder and saw the camaro divin by and WHAMO! Jason got biatch slapped by the good ol'e GM>

But I do say this : I love the camaro , but will also be getting the challenger too.

Fight on (viking sounds in the background)!!!!

My first car was a 72 ss
Old 08-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
jbynum69
God of thunder

jason's thoughts : I hope nobody see's that big ol'e truck with that Dodge stomper on it . Dang it someone looked ,oh crap everyone is looking,hey where is everybody going? Damn gm and their sneaky ways!

My first car was a 72 ss

Last edited by jbynum69; 08-20-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Heh I love it, even the companies are trying to oneup each other. Looks like the muscle car wars will be waged both between owners and the companies themselves
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:44 AM   #8
SnowMan
Burnin' Your Toast

Drives: '04 Subaru FXT '05 Subaru LGT
I love it!
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Since the muscle cars war is on again I wonder if it will get nasty in terms of advertisement with each company purposely knocking on other competitors in their print ads or commercials. As for forums I'm sure we'll see our share of mustang and challenger fan trolls on here eventually
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
In this day and age, I can guarantee we are going to have some awesome car commercials and advertisments which cut on each other. That's gonna be great to see!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
MarkLS2
Administrator

Drives: 2009 Camaro
To me its not even a battle, the Challenger is a car thats already lost.

Styling? Challenger is just too retro, sure it looks great right now, but its got that fad style to it that will start to look dated after you see a few of them on the road, the beauty of the camaro is that it mixes the old with the new, its classic but also fresh and modern at the same time. Really an amazing feat.

Engine? Nuff said, cmon does dodge really think its going to compete with GM with all it has under its sleeve in this day and age, dodge better hope some AMG people help them out on this one

Handling? Well we know that the camaro is going to be using more modern suspension systems, so this one is up in the air for now.

Realistic? We already know how close the camaro is to being production ready, not only from annoucements but from the multiple showings of the car, the videos of the engine, exhaust, driving all over the place, etc etc. THis car is coming, its very real, and will be very close to what we are seeing. FOr the challenger they have the annoucements about it being produced, but we dont know anything past that.. They seem to be a little further off then GM is in terms of getting a showcar into the enthusiasts hands.
MarkLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
dodgefan
Banned

Drives: ford taurus
chevy's suck

read the name, in my opinion chevy's are absolutely the most overated vehicles ever. i get so sick of hearing there the best there the greatest, sure gm outsells everthing the must have 500 different brands, but that doesnt mean there the best, dodge and ford have what 10 or 11. and they still almost outsell gm, truck wise ford kicks butt, car wise dodge and overall dodge. my mom barely knows the difference between a truck and a car and her and my dad both have owned chevy's and other gm's, and we didnt have anything but problems, broken cd players, pistons frying, rattling, car shutting off all of the sudden, ruff ride, faulty buttons, and eventually the whole motor blowing, every gm we have ever owned the motor has blown, and all of them were brand new, all blew up within the period of two months after getting the vehicle, my mom always goes back to dodge, and so does my dad, we have never had any problems with fords or dodges, chevy is so high on a pedistol they just throw a vehicle together and expect it to sell, they have no commitment, the motors are junk, and so is the whole vehicle, and the challenger will stomp the camaro, they did in the old days and will again, so chevy lovers dont hate appreciate, and get off of your high horse and realize there is other better vehicles out there and maybe you will realize chevys aint all that, there just a big heap of metal with a cheap engine, and crappy parts. why do you think chevy's are cheaper junky cheaper parts.
dodgefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #13
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefan View Post
read the name, in my opinion chevy's are absolutely the most overated vehicles ever. i get so sick of hearing there the best there the greatest, sure gm outsells everthing the must have 500 different brands, but that doesnt mean there the best, dodge and ford have what 10 or 11. and they still almost outsell gm, truck wise ford kicks butt, car wise dodge and overall dodge. my mom barely knows the difference between a truck and a car and her and my dad both have owned chevy's and other gm's, and we didnt have anything but problems, broken cd players, pistons frying, rattling, car shutting off all of the sudden, ruff ride, faulty buttons, and eventually the whole motor blowing, every gm we have ever owned the motor has blown, and all of them were brand new, all blew up within the period of two months after getting the vehicle, my mom always goes back to dodge, and so does my dad, we have never had any problems with fords or dodges, chevy is so high on a pedistol they just throw a vehicle together and expect it to sell, they have no commitment, the motors are junk, and so is the whole vehicle, and the challenger will stomp the camaro, they did in the old days and will again, so chevy lovers dont hate appreciate, and get off of your high horse and realize there is other better vehicles out there and maybe you will realize chevys aint all that, there just a big heap of metal with a cheap engine, and crappy parts. why do you think chevy's are cheaper junky cheaper parts.
Funny cause i am almost opposite. My question is how long will dodge be in business? What does dodge have going for them? Not much. But time will tell.
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
*cough*

*cough*

notice ford and dodge below chevy?
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote