Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Polish. how often?

How often can I polish my car without damage to the clearcoat? I will be using Adam's fine machine polish. Would once a year be to often?

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Oldtimer426
U.S. Army Retired 20 year

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe M6
Send a message via ICQ to Oldtimer426
Polish does not hurt the clearcoat you can polish it every 2-3 months depends on how you want your car to look.

Custom Grill GM, Custom Exhaust GM, Foose wheels legend 20", Blue footwell LED bothsides, and truck LEDs, window tints 20% rear 18% sides, custom pinstriping red color sides and rear skip shift eliminator, mailbox and side grill stainless steal inserts.
20 Years Military Service Army.
Oldtimer426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
wow... I misread the title of this thread.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Well polishing does actually damage your clear coat. As when you polish the car you are cutting away the damaged parts of your clear coat. So, if you were say to use a rotary buffer and leave it in one place for 10 minutes, you would most likely have cut your way through the clear coat and you're now into the base coat.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Took this off of Adams website

Quote:
Adam's Fine Machine Polish is so fine that you can use it several times a year to maintain perfect gloss, without thinning your paint.
The word "Fine" is where it bothers me. Meaning to me that there is a level of grit or abrasiveness in the polish. (keep in mind, I have never touched this product, So I can't comment exactly on the feel of the polish) I have also been wondering how many times can you do this before you start to see damage. If I was a life time user of Adam's Fine Machine polish, then how do I use this year after year and the effects of the polish not add up?

I mean, if you keep taking from the cooler, eventually you will run out of beer.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Took this off of Adams website

The word "Fine" is where it bothers me. Meaning to me that there is a level of grit or abrasiveness in the polish. (keep in mind, I have never touched this product, So I can't comment exactly on the feel of the polish) I have also been wondering how many times can you do this before you start to see damage. If I was a life time user of Adam's Fine Machine polish, then how do I use this year after year and the effects of the polish not add up?

I mean, if you keep taking from the cooler, eventually you will run out of beer.
FWIW - any "polish" is going to have SOME abrasive properties by definition. The only time you see variation from this is the use of the word 'polish' to name some of Zainos products. But in the technical definition of the term it has to contain an abrasive to be a polish.

That being said - fine machine polish is as fine a super tiny abrasive as you'll find... you could polish from here till next year and not worry about it 'damaging' anything.

The stock clear coat is thick enough to go hundreds of times thru the entire process of SSR/SHR/FMP before 'strike thru' would even begin to be a concern. If working only with FMP then we're talking THOUSANDS of times.

You have to understand that the amount of material removed with our products and a PC is microscopic... extremely extremely EXTREMELY small amounts are removed with each pass so its not something most people will ever be concerned with, especially if you follow solid maintenance/washing techniques correction shouldn't be needed more than 2-3x a year if that except for maybe a few spots.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Cool, thanks for the clarification Dylan. So polish away
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Thanks alot!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Well polishing does actually damage your clear coat. As when you polish the car you are cutting away the damaged parts of your clear coat. So, if you were say to use a rotary buffer and leave it in one place for 10 minutes, you would most likely have cut your way through the clear coat and you're now into the base coat.
It definitely doesn't take 10 minutes in one spot! Ten seconds is more realistic with the right compound, a wool pad and the rotary turned up all the way!

One thing that I always preach about constantly polishing your paint. Adam's Fine Machine Polish is the only thing that I have to use to touch up a spot here or there because my paint has been fully corrected. However, I never have to constantly use the more aggressive polishes on the market because I know how to care for my paint. If you have to constantly break out a bottle of M105, Z-PC Fusion or Adam's Sever Swirl Remover, then you are totally touching your paint in the wrong manner. Those products should be a one time event in your paint's life unless some accidents happens.

There's where proper washing comes into play.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote