Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
Car Transport

I need a little help or advice however you want to look at it. I have never had to deal with getting a car shipped but do to an accident I had back in June I cannot make that kind of trip and probably won't be able to for a while. I am looking at one in Cali and one in Ohio. I am in Houston. If anyone knows a good transport service it would be helpful because everything I have been looking up seems to be some sort of BS. I would like to have it shipped in an enclosed carrier if it is not too outrageous. I know it costs less to get it shipped on an open transport but then there are other things that come into play with that. Thanks in advance for any input that you may have.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
jacksoncoffeeco

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE650
I just had a Hennessey HPE650 Camaro shipped last week. I had it shipped from Warwick, RI to Lansing, MI. I did a lot of research on shippers, as well as trying to get the best price.

I did a post on Uship and got lots of bids (about 20). Problem is, they were nearly all
from OPEN transport. And most were from Brokers. You should understand that there are shipping companies (people who own their trucks and the people who will be shipping your car) and then there are brokers (people who give you a quote and then sell the job to someone who has a truck and trailer). If you ask for a quote thru Uship or some other website that will give you a quote, be prepared for a lot of quotes and a lot of calls. It seemed like most brokers came out of Florida. About 1/2 the brokers had heavy African accents.

I'm sure there are many brokers out there who are good, but you just don't know whether the person shipping is good or not or even insured. I did find one guy on Uship that had an enclosed two car trailer system, but I ended up using another company before he could put a route together. He was the cheapest enclosed.

My route was 1200 miles. Open was as low as $500 from a broker and most were around $650. I ended up using Intercity Lines, Inc. They are in all your Hot Rod magazines and haul for the Barrett Jackson and Mecum Auctions. They do not broker out your transport. The trailer was new and it was all professional and great communication. I paid $945 through them (included everything). They first quoted $995 thru an email, but I requested that they go to $900 thru an email and they came down $50. I had quotes as high as $1600.

I also had a good quote through AAA Anytime. They were $948, and are not a broker. They are out of Las Vegas, but ship all over. Here are the companies I requested quotes from that were good and not brokers:

Intercity: 800 221 3936
AAA Anytime 800 729 2160
Chips Auto Transport: 888 700 8193 (was expensive)

I'd suggest if you're price shopping that you post the route on Uship. You'll get 20 or 30 quotes and you'll then have to do your research on which shipper you feel comfortable with. I can vouch for Intercity and AAA Anytime, but not for Chips. I believe Intercity only does enclosed shipping. I'm sure there are other great enclosed shippers out there. Other will chime in on this I'm sure.
jacksoncoffeeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
DZ28

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Riverside Blue
I've shipped cars from Michigan to New York, Texas and California. I've had cars shipped to Michigan from Louisiana, Minnesota and California. My advice is to find the best enclosed transport you can. With open transport you know what the A painted surface will look like; in a word TERRIBLE. The worst part though is cleaning every other part after many miles of open road. Intercity and Reliable will do a great job; have used both and well worth the extra expense. Negotiate and be willing to wait for the right load.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Smoke 'em

Thanks guys. I went on a website that was supposed to set you up with the top 10 companies and man was that a joke. All it amounted to was a bunch of brokers looking to sale you to the highest bidder and when I looked up the companies almost everyone had horrible reviews. I probably got 40 different emails and some of them were from the same people over and over even after I told them that we didn't agree on a price for the car I wanted in NY. Then when you try to unsubscibe you can't even click on the link. Anyway, that is why I thought I would ask for help here before I tried it again. Thanks for the input, I will definitely check into those that were mentioned.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
http://www.reliablecarriers.com
Do not know how much they cost but I know a lot of High end car dealers prefer them. The local Lamborghini dealer in stl uses them. Last time I was down their they were unloading an Aventador and Bentley.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Smoke 'em

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Trimmedout 15

Drives: 2011 Camaro HPE 650
I went through the same thing, it drives you crazy and makes you feel that you can trust no one. I finally came across Zipship with a broker named Laura. She was first class all the way. Quote was a great price and ship dates were to the minute. Totally recommend her services. She calls and text right away with answers to any questions you have.

Laura 561-907-8281

I shipped my Hennessey 650 from Florida to New York for $1000 in an enclosed trailer, which by the way is the only way to ship a car. Included was a million dollar insurance policy through the company. I also had my own insurance. My car was shipped up with a Lambo. Hope this helps
Trimmedout 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
gstev

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro convertible
Reliable transport is the best and used them a lot and I never had any problems, the owner is also a great guy and a car guy too.
gstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I've used uship 3 times and just used common sense to read driver reviews, verify insurance, and speak with them ahead of time. I understand the idea of wanting closed carrier. But how do you think chevy shipped the car? Shipping open is no different!
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
SirCrush32

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS 45th Anniv Edt
PILOT TRANSPORTATION is a great company. My company uses them all the time.
SirCrush32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
Smoke 'em

Thanks SirCrush.