Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Bo Yo

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
ABM I don't get it

So I ordered an SS in ABM last week never having actually seen the color in person. My decision was based on a majority of the pictures I've seen on this site. They all look very blue, which is what I wanted. But I happened by a dealership today that had some cars(HHR) in ABM and they looked almost green! It was very teal. Too much for my liking. Why is the image so blue when captured by a camera?

Anyway I immediately called my dealer and switched my color to IBM. I think I'll be happier in the long run. I'm not sure I could handle that ABM for more than a few months. Just not my cup of tea.

Chevrolet, are you listening? Make Stryker Blue available on the camaro or bring back Electron Blue.
Bo Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Yo View Post
So I ordered an SS in ABM last week never having actually seen the color in person. My decision was based on a majority of the pictures I've seen on this site. They all look very blue, which is what I wanted. But I happened by a dealership today that had some cars(HHR) in ABM and they looked almost green! It was very teal. Too much for my liking. Why is the image so blue when captured by a camera?

Anyway I immediately called my dealer and switched my color to IBM. I think I'll be happier in the long run. I'm not sure I could handle that ABM for more than a few months. Just not my cup of tea.

Chevrolet, are you listening? Make Stryker Blue available on the camaro or bring back Electron Blue.
It's due to the picture format being used. When pictures are captured and posted in jpeg format, it is a compress picture. The actual color and detail of light gets lost. The only way to get close is to capture in raw format, then convert to jpeg for posting ..... RAW format does not use compression, the pics are huge but the amount of detail is crazy good.....
Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
i think the ABM on the HHR is different looking than on the camaro though...from what i've seen in person. the camaro is amazing looking in ABM!!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
A number of reasons...your monitor...their camera...and....the big one....especially with this color:

The lighting!!!!!! It "pops" in the sunlight, but in other than that, it tends to be very teal looking.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
anthonybyram

Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
How about GM Jetstream blue? That a hot color AND its already on the Corvette!
anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
ABM on the Camaro is ridiculously different and i dont know how.
Ive seen ABM in person on the Camaro on March 16th and was Blown Away! I never thought that colour would look that Great!
Everyone i know loves ABM!
I would change back to ABM or atleast try to locate a member near you with ABM, it is truly a GORGOUS colour!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
You need to see the color on the car you are purchasing. The lines and cuts on the Camaro highlight the hues differently than that of a vehicle with softer lines and curves.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Stryker and Jetstream Blue... It should have been one of those. ABM is VERY teal in certial lights. It only really looks good if it is clean and sunny out. Other wise it looks teal...

Good move on the switch!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It's due to the picture format being used. When pictures are captured and posted in jpeg format, it is a compress picture. The actual color and detail of light gets lost. The only way to get close is to capture in raw format, then convert to jpeg for posting ..... RAW format does not use compression, the pics are huge but the amount of detail is crazy good.....
That's mostly true, but I had wondered the same thing until I took pictures of my car with a flash. I wasn't looking through the viewfinder and, as soon as the flash went off, the entire side of my car turned the exact same blue that shows up in the pictures. So I think it's really a mixture of the two in certain pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
It only really looks good if it is clean and sunny out. Other wise it looks teal...
In your opinion... 90% of the time, I look at my Camaro and see a deep, darkish blue. And it's been raining for the past week or so.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I like ABM over IBM. Have seen them both in varying lighting and the ABM with white or silver stripes really set the car's mood.

IMO IBM is too blue for the lines of the Camaro.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
VenomZ302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
IMO IBM is too blue for the lines of the Camaro.
IMO, IBM is too black, period... Shame, too, since I like navy blue cars.

7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
IMO, IBM is too black, period... Shame, too, since I like navy blue cars.
Yup.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Bo Yo

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
A number of reasons...your monitor...their camera...and....the big one....especially with this color:

The lighting!!!!!! It "pops" in the sunlight, but in other than that, it tends to be very teal looking.
I agree with that assessment. Of course the problem is, it isn't always sunny. Some of the pictures I have seen in low light show it as pretty teal. And I saw the HHR in total sunlight yesterday. I also saw the Impala. Both looked teal.

If they do come out with Stryker next year, I can always trade up. But I'm not feeling that blue off the Saturn either. I'm going to stick with the IBM for now.
Bo Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
VenomZ302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Yo View Post
I agree with that assessment. Of course the problem is, it isn't always sunny. Some of the pictures I have seen in low light show it as pretty teal. And I saw the HHR in total sunlight yesterday. I also saw the Impala. Both looked teal.
If my opinion is worth anything to you, I've compared my car side by side to an HHR in the same color. The HHR appeared to have more green in it. I also parked near an Impala that turned out to be Aqua Blue Metallic and I thought the paint looked gross.

Do you live anywhere near South Carolina? I'd be happy to show you my Camaro. Otherwise, I'd definitely suggest you try to find an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro somewhere convenient before you make the decision.

Of course, ultimately the decision is yours. It doesn't truly make a difference to me, but I'd like to help, if I can. For that matter, I can also post some of the .RAW images I've taken since getting the car if you'd like.

7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579