Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
BronxRS

Drives: '13 2LT RS Convertible - AGM
Idle Issues after VMAX ported TB install

Sorry for the multiple post (also in the V6-LFX bolt on thread) but 55 views and no responses so I'm sticking the rod in another pond as this may issue may apply to V8s as well.

I just installed a VMAX ported TB in my vert today. No CELs or other warning lights and ran fairly well during the day. This evening, I noticed idle was slightly rougher in city traffic. Also, in stop and go traffic on the freeway, idle was slightly higher than normal (650-750 RPM vs around 450-500). It was higher enough that it actually pulled the car slightly when I disengaged the brake pedal. Not wanting this to continue and will eventually be getting a Trifecta tune but did not plan on doing it so soon, nor did I believe a tune would be necessary after the install.

Also, I understand the VMAX TBs are carefully ported to spec so shouldn't be an over aggressive porting issue as I've seen some others have experienced. I've read about some ways to have the ECM "relearn" intake after a TB install but I also never heard this was necessary when reading up on the VMAX mod? Any insightful comments would be appreciated.
BronxRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Sorry Bronx. I usually let those more knowledgeable respond to this.

How many miles since the install? It may be the ECM has not learned the higher flow of air yet. I think it can take up to 100 miles for it to relearn.

If you have over 100 miles, I would suggest checking, with the engine cold, to make sure all bolts are torqued correctly still and did not loosen.

From there, if nothing found, I would contact the vendor it was purchased from. Maybe it was opened up more than it should have been.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Hey Bronx i actually have the same problem with mine. I contacted VMAX who ports them and he said that my computer was hunting for idle, mine will high idle like yours and then will idle down and so on, but he ported one a little less agressive and it helped very little so i just put the first back on. We belive that just like some motors eventhough the same will run slightly different, some computers will make enough adjustment and some wont without a tune. I just got use to it. It sucks but its the OE computers to blame.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Just a wild guess but did you try and unplug the battery? i would disconnect the battery for 10-20mins and see if that might solve the problem.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
Just a wild guess but did you try and unplug the battery? i would disconnect the battery for 10-20mins and see if that might solve the problem.

Also make sure it is installed correctly and securely. You may have a vacuum leak which could cause this issue.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
BronxRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Also make sure it is installed correctly and securely. You may have a vacuum leak which could cause this issue.
It is installed correctly and securely - checked it again this am to ensure all bolts were properly torqued and the plug was fully secured. The blue O-ring is also intact.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
BronxRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 LS Supercar View Post
Hey Bronx i actually have the same problem with mine. I contacted VMAX who ports them and he said that my computer was hunting for idle, mine will high idle like yours and then will idle down and so on, but he ported one a little less agressive and it helped very little so i just put the first back on. We belive that just like some motors eventhough the same will run slightly different, some computers will make enough adjustment and some wont without a tune. I just got use to it. It sucks but its the OE computers to blame.
Now that's interesting. I've read nothing but good things about VMAX and hope my was properly ported. If some more miles for the computer to learn this new set up doesn't work, it may be "tune time" sooner than I expected....thanks for the feedback.