Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
kelsanova

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS IOM/blk rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott46 View Post
So I installed my scanner light from AAC today. Was pretty easy, I used a dremel to cut out the corners. I was able to mold the light a little by heating the center of the light, fits like a dream! The only problem is, IT TURNS ON BY ITS SELF!!! I was driving home and everyone suddenly moves out of my way, well the lights were on! I say "Oh sh$#"! Does anyone have the same problem? Could it be were I grounded it? I used one of the existing holes used for the metal plate on the facia, I had to scrape some paint off to make contact. When it turns on by its self, it wont respond to the remote. Help Guys!

I won't speak for AAC, but you may have cut or damaged the scanner during installation, causing a short. I have heard of this happening on a couple other vehicles. Water may have somehow got in there and shorted something out. I'm sure you have double checked your wiring, so I'm guessing it's a short. That is kind of funny that people were moving out of your way though. They were thinking "CAMARO COP!! God save us!!"
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
Kscott46

Drives: 2010 Black SS2, RS, MT
I'm thinking its the ground, I used one of the bolts that mounts the top plate of the fascia. The plate that on top that surrounds the hood latch. I are was painted so I had to strip off some paint, and this is all under the plate so its not visible. Maybe it not making enough contact, could that be it?

Future Mods: PFADT Sways, SLP cat back, SLP X-pipe, SLP Headers, and Tune.
Kscott46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #31
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
These scanners are so cool and we have been getting such a good response that we decided that we wanted to set up the world's largest LED scanner!

Stay tuned

Now that will be an attention getter.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #32
2011SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
Just a fyi for all those just installing their scanner. If you have the 3 buttons on the overhead by the dome light, they can be programmed to operate the scanner.

SPARKS SS emblems, PUTCO mailslot led, AAC led side markers,
AUTOLUMINATION drl's, f/r turn sig,dome, trunk, license led's,
SOUTHERN CAR PARTS sequential turn signals,
BIG WORM GRAPHICS hood spears, mail slot, gills
3M CRYSTALLINE 40% window tint
HURST shifter/plate, GMPARTS quarter flares
RPI flat black bezels and rjt license plate frame
STREET SCENE chin splitter

2011SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #33
Ph0enix

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
wow
Ph0enix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
Ph0enix

Has anybody had issues with the RGB Scanner in the heat? Seems half of the strip stopped working properly on mine after a day or so in the hot Phoenix heat.
Ph0enix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
fugimo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS ABM
Have had mine in my mail slot for a little over a year and no problems. The only thing I have run across is some leds, a section of maybe 3 leds, will not change colors on certain colors, luckily I do not use those colors, so I don't worry about.

Check your connections are not loose, that is the only time I had leds not coming on, especially the ground.
Injen CAI
AAC lighting (Foot well, trunk, interior, RGB Halos, Plasma DRLs, V2 scanner, side markers)
fugimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #36
Ph0enix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix View Post
Has anybody had issues with the RGB Scanner in the heat? Seems half of the strip stopped working properly on mine after a day or so in the hot Phoenix heat.
Just following up with my previous post...I sent my bad scanner light back and exactly 4 business days after the date AAC Style was to receive the scanner light I received a replacement!

Thanks AAC Style, you guys rock! I did the install last night and clamped it down overnight and works like a charm.

Thanks once again!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #37
11CamaroSS/RS

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011SS View Post
Just a fyi for all those just installing their scanner. If you have the 3 buttons on the overhead by the dome light, they can be programmed to operate the scanner.
It would be great to set this up... How can I do this?

Are you referring to "learning" the remote, or using the button to provide power under the hood somehow?

Last edited by 11CamaroSS/RS; 07-23-2011 at 11:18 PM.
11CamaroSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #38
11CamaroSS/RS

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS
OK, I guess I was hoping for a way to utilize existing buttons on the interior to give me power in the under-hood fuse box when I want it. The potential for stray radio signals (or someone else with a transmitter) turning on my lights without my knowledge scares the crap out of me!

I have the scanner physically mounted and I ran the wire harness through some loom to the engine compartment fuse box which makes for a nice clean look. I would like to terminate all my wires in there to keep it clean.

For now, I plan on connecting the red power lead to the "extra" 15 amp fuse and connect the white "headlamp" wire to one of the two existing fuses for the headlights. These fuses are conveniently not powered until the headlights are turned on and the relay is engaged.

Now I just need to find a good place to connect the black ground lead within that box. Any ideas? Can I get to a grounded mounting screw beneath the top panel if I remove those top 3 screws? (I noticed none of the top 3 screws are grounded.)
11CamaroSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #39
Ph0enix

Quote:
You can do this using the "learning" function of the factory buttons.
I tried to "learn" the scanner remote to one of the factory universal controller buttons and it flashed as if it did learn it. However the range of the remote is probably about 2 or 3 feet. Is that normal? I just got my replacement scanner a few days ago-could it be that I got bad batteries? I tried it with the white cable twisted and untwisted, same range. What is the "normal" range? I imagine if the range was a little more than the 3 feet, I'd be able to control it with one of the 3 buttons that I programmed already, that you mention in this post.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #40
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Great post!!!! What exactly is voided in a warranty from electrical installs like this? That's been on my mind for quite some time since I got the car.
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #41
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
You are not modifying any factory electrical components so this by law can not and will not void your warranty.
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! So my JL Audios and Sub Thumb box aren't going to be an issue either?????

But what if I were to splice into some of the factory wiring for other lighting applications. I'm guessing that's a no no for the warranty? What would it void? Just electrical?
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #42
Ph0enix

Quote:
Yes, you can unwind the white antenna for more range. If you have the box mounted behind the front grill area as in our instructions you should easily have 20-50ft range.

If you have shorter range, you are correct that the battery may need to be replaced in that case.
I remounted the control box as far into the front fascia as I could it's sitting right in front of the scanner now and the range improved to like you said, about to 20ft. Thanks for the tip!