Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
calinkaos
Army EOD Vet

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS blk/blk/blk
lock ECU grounds for lawsuit

So I want your opinion on something fellow C5ers. I got a custom tune and was never told my vehicle would be locked by the tuning program. I have all original records and consent forms. I went to get a GM warranty reflash and the dealership couldn't access the ecu. I am considering filing a class action lawsuit against the company that tuned my car to allow access to my tune files and my ecu. What do you all think? Anyone ever heard of someone trying this?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Who tuned it ?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
GM won't 'warranty flash' your ecm if a tune has been done. It would negate your tune as well.
So its one or the other. Tune or stock ecm?!?!
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
calinkaos
Army EOD Vet

I don't wanna bash on the company. Not my style. But I'm concerned that I wasn't told about this and it not effecting me almost two years later. I understand preserving ur business but it was never mentioned or agreed on, if it was I would of gone with a different tuning.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
calinkaos
Army EOD Vet

I was tuning back ti stock so I could get my vehicle working properly and get a new tune system. But they locked gm out also.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
What did they use to tune it? HP Tuners?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
calinkaos
Army EOD Vet

Efi live
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
What is their reason for not removing the lock for you? I guess I could see a tuner keeping his tune secure, but if you want to flash back to factory (which I am assuming, since you are having GM flash it), I wouldn't see that as a problem.

If you lost the suit, it may cost you more than a new ECM from GM. Something to consider.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Have you tried asking them to remove it? You should have it in writing that they won't remove it before thinking about going to court. They have no reason why not to unlock it, and yes I understand where youre coming from about doing it in the first place. Same thing happened to me, but I got them to unlock it.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
have you tried contacting the tuner or tune shop to resolve the issue? have they said they absolutely will NOT remove the lock? have the gone out of business? moved?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
calinkaos
Army EOD Vet

That's my concern. If they go out of business or lose the password to unlock... not sure if it's an individual password. I contacted them... they asked for compensation to perform another tune. Kinda bogus if u ask me.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
If you can show on paper (via a letter) that they are refusing to take the lock off, that should stand up well in court. You need to show the judge you have tried to resolve the issue personally, but they refuse to work with you, and that's why you felt you bedded to go to court.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by calinkaos View Post
That's my concern. If they go out of business or lose the password to unlock... not sure if it's an individual password. I contacted them... they asked for compensation to perform another tune. Kinda bogus if u ask me.
Right, but that's for another tune. If you just want them to put the stock tune back I'm sure they won't have a problem with that.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
A class action lawsuit because your your tune is locked?

Sounds a bit extreme.

Paying them to do whatever they need to do, might be a touch cheaper than the legalities of a lawsuit.

The best outcome of a class suit is fractions of pennies on the dollar, only the lawyers get rich.

I just got a settlement from the Enron class suit. Long story short..... had some stock from an estate settlement. About a decade in legal battles, gazzillions spent on lawyers.... My settlement check was $49. I wiped my ass with it and flushed it.

When someone actually defrauds you of a massive amount, bust out the legal team. Just modding your car, bust out the wallet. Speed shops charge for their work.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote