Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Who has the Hotchkis Max Chassis brace?

I'm looking for some feedback from actual customers who have the Hotchkis Max Brace under thier car.

So far I've mostly been drag racing the car but I'm going to look at doing some autocrossing soon. I've got the basic bolt-ons with just under 415 rwhp.

Questions:
Did you notice a difference in the way the car handles and/or launches at the track or on the street?

Did you just add the brace or the brace with some bushings or bushing inserts?

Do you think adding craddle inserts and rearend bushings would be necessary in addition to the brace?

Would you recommend the brace for the money?

Did you notice more firmness in the ride quality or increase in noise from under the car?

I already have Hotchkis springs and some Spohn Del-Sphere trailing arms. I didn't change out the trailing arm bushings though. I still get a little bit of wheel hop going from 2nd to 3rd on occassion at the track.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do craddle bushing inserts, trailing arm bushings, and rear end bushings or just add the Hotchkis brace with possibly the trailing arm bushings.

The Hotchkis brace is about double the money but is a much easier install and can be removed/sold if I need to for some reason. I also like the fact that the brace will also act similar to a set up of sub-frame connectors. One thing I did notice in the Hotchkis video is that there is still a little bit of movement in the craddle with the brace....although it's greatly improved over no brace.

What route would you recommend me going....bushing inserts or Hotchkis brace?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
caverman

What???? No one has any comments to leave about the Hotchkis brace?

Surely someone has something to say about it.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is not the product to get.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Caverman,

The brace helps isolate the cradle and promotes off the line and lateral traction while cornering.

Here’s a video of a Camaro being tested with and without our Chassis Max Brace:

We have many Camaro5 customers having great success with traction on both types of tracks with our Chassis Max Brace for the rear suspension cradle. You should talk to Camaro5.com member urr2slo. He’s been drag racing and road racing with our Chassis Brace.

Here's a link to an article about his Camaro:

http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/ch...aro-race-pack/
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
caverman

Thanks....I'll get in touch with him as well.

What is Hotchkis' take on adding aftermarket bushings with the chassis brace? For a daily driver with the occassional drag strip and hopefully autocross event should I do just the brace with the OEM bushings or add some craddle bushing inserts?

Right now I'm able to do okay with take off at the drag strip....my last time out I was able to get some 1.98 60' times on stock tires on a test-n-tune night but I still got a little wheel hop going from 2nd to 3rd even though I have some trailing arms. I'm thinking the rearend bushings won't really be needed for me at the moment unless I start adding HP.

Would you think the brace might help to get the 60' times any better? My guess is I'm probably not going to get a whole lot better 60' times with the stock tires.
Build Journal
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Hotchkis

Caverman,
Bushings come down to ride quality, which is subjective. Some people are more particular about road feel transferring to the car. We designed our Chassis Max Brace to be an easy installation without requiring the installation of subframe bushings, but it will certainly work with bushings should you decide you need them. Since it is such an easy install we suggest installing the brace before installing bushings to see if you feel additional control is necessary.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
does anyone on the forum have the Hotchkis Track Pack for the Camaro yet?
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Hotchkis

Topgun1,

We know that many members have the Track Pack installed, maybe they’ll chime in. What kind of driving are you planning on doing with your Camaro?
We’ve been tearing up the road and some tracks with our F-11 Camaro for the last few months and will continue all year long. You can follow along with us on FaceBook.

We're spending the weekend in Phoenix, AZ area at Camaro5Fest, come follow all the action on our Facebook page.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
i'm running the track pack and love it, currently at camaro5fest, running the road course and autocross with great success. hotchkis has all there stuff on display along with some really deep discounted show specials for the participants.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Does the brace clear 3" exhaust systems?
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
i'm running the track pack and love it, currently at camaro5fest, running the road course and autocross with great success. hotchkis has all there stuff on display along with some really deep discounted show specials for the participants.
Damn! not at the fest but would love the deep discounted show specials! Maybe Hotchkis can pass those specials on to us for the camaro fest weekend?

Come on Hotchkis.....I'm ready to buy. Just beat Jeg's prices and I'm all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
Does the brace clear 3" exhaust systems?
I would think it would. I have the 3" Magnaflow myself.
Build Journal
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Damn! not at the fest but would love the deep discounted show specials! Maybe Hotchkis can pass those specials on to us for the camaro fest weekend?

Come on Hotchkis.....I'm ready to buy. Just beat Jeg's prices and I'm all over it.

I would think it would. I have the 3" Magnaflow myself.
We had an amazing time at the Camaro5Fest. We'll have photos and action videos up soon, but in the meantime, we're thrilled to congratulate Rob Byrd for winning the Modified class in his Hotchkis equipped Camaro. Way to represent us, Rob!
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...amaro5fest.jpg

As far as the brace clearing 3-inch exhausts, check out this video and you’ll notice how much clearance there is.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Thanks....I'll get in touch with him as well.

What is Hotchkis' take on adding aftermarket bushings with the chassis brace? For a daily driver with the occassional drag strip and hopefully autocross event should I do just the brace with the OEM bushings or add some craddle bushing inserts?

Right now I'm able to do okay with take off at the drag strip....my last time out I was able to get some 1.98 60' times on stock tires on a test-n-tune night but I still got a little wheel hop going from 2nd to 3rd even though I have some trailing arms. I'm thinking the rearend bushings won't really be needed for me at the moment unless I start adding HP.

Would you think the brace might help to get the 60' times any better? My guess is I'm probably not going to get a whole lot better 60' times with the stock tires.
Trailing arms would probably help more with the wheel hop and 60' times.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
We had an amazing time at the Camaro5Fest. We'll have photos and action videos up soon, but in the meantime, we're thrilled to congratulate Rob Byrd for winning the Modified class in his Hotchkis equipped Camaro. Way to represent us, Rob!

As far as the brace clearing 3-inch exhausts, check out this video and you’ll notice how much clearance there is.
Just out of curiosity do you know what he has for suspension work? Is it just the Hotchkis Track Pack or more?

I'm going to try some autocross for the first time in the next month....at least that's the plan. I'll probably be hot and heavy after some sway bars then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Trailing arms would probably help more with the wheel hop and 60' times.
I already have trailing arms....just no aftermarket bushings. The TA did do wonders on my wheel hop off the line but I still got a little hop going from 2nd to 3rd on the track. Never an issue on the street.

I'm hoping the chassis brace would fix that. Trailing Arm and Craddle bushings probably would as well. The chassis brace is going to be alot easier to install though and looks like it would work as a frame connector as well. Also, if for some reason I didn't like it or I sold the car the chassis brace can come off and be sold. Price is bit bit more though.

I'll pull the trigger on either the chassis brace or bushings early next month. Then I'll take it to the track and see what it does then.
Build Journal
Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM M6-when she lets me
Quote:
Just out of curiosity do you know what he has for suspension work? Is it just the Hotchkis Track Pack or more?

I'm going to try some autocross for the first time in the next month....at least that's the plan. I'll probably be hot and heavy after some sway bars then.

I already have trailing arms....just no aftermarket bushings. The TA did do wonders on my wheel hop off the line but I still got a little hop going from 2nd to 3rd on the track. Never an issue on the street.

I'm hoping the chassis brace would fix that. Trailing Arm and Craddle bushings probably would as well. The chassis brace is going to be alot easier to install though and looks like it would work as a frame connector as well. Also, if for some reason I didn't like it or I sold the car the chassis brace can come off and be sold. Price is bit bit more though.

I'll pull the trigger on either the chassis brace or bushings early next month. Then I'll take it to the track and see what it does then.
Hey caverman, that would be me in the video, sorry I get a Little Excited!!! I have the full Track pack including the strut brace which is Great for the front end flex. The chasis brace is Awesome!!! I too have done some quarter mile runs, at Fontana, and I "had" some wheel hop issues. I say "had" because since Hotchkis installed the chasis brace on my wifes car I have had no sure problem. I totally recommend the chasis brace, it really tie's the car together! I really must Thank and Credit John Hotchkis for inspirering my wife and I to really enjoy and drive our car! His passion and desire is to see people use the parts that they put on there car. I am a rookie/noobie doing autocross and I truly beleive that the only reason that I won the modified class use because of the suspension on our car!!!
I have some video's on YouTube if your bored; Camaro5Comm54
If you have any questions please send me a PM and I hope to see you at the AutoCross soon!