Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #323

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
For sure it was quite an accomplishment and an excellent time....even with the wet track and rain....If it wasn't a factor, it would never have been mentioned in the press releases or a quicker time wouldn't have been projected by the guys who ran it....

The idea was to see how quick it went at the ring compared to other makes....Maybe the quicker cars on the list hit some wet conditions as well....But I have my doubts they did....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #324
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The idea was to see how quick it went at the ring compared to other makes....Maybe the quicker cars on the list hit some wet conditions as well....But I have my doubts they did....
Agreed. The purpose of running the Ring is for comparison. The only way to have an apples to apples comparison is to run on a dry track. I'm 100% certain that all of the other makes do everything they can to ensure they run a dry lap.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #325
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Agreed. The purpose of running the Ring is for comparison. The only way to have an apples to apples comparison is to run on a dry track. I'm 100% certain that all of the other makes do everything they can to ensure they run a dry lap.
Well direct apples to apples would also have to be done at the same time by the same driver. Same track conditions, temperature and humidity play a big part too.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well direct apples to apples would also have to be done at the same time by the same driver. Same track conditions, temperature and humidity play a big part too.
I'd say those other items are small potatos compared to a wet track...
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #327
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Ok, we have the time it ran. We also have an idea of when the first units will be delivered. With that in mind, when do we think we will have pricing and allocation information? Can we use the ZL1 timeline? For those who bought their ZL1 when it was first announced, how long did it take once the "ring" times were announced to when the price and allocation information became public.
I wouldn't expect prices for a while. Probably within a month of the first Z/28 rolling off the line.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #328
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
temp is probably a big one. although im not sure how hot it gets out there.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #329
Jim968

Quote:
Very true, but its simply not possible to recreate exact track conditions. However, it is possible to use the calendar, weather forecast and weather radar to maximize your chances at a dry lap.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #330
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Trofeo information from the Pirelli website.

Designed for racetrack driving on dry asphalt.

Developed to provide even greater performance - on the occasion of Track Days - when fitted to the most powerful vehicles such as Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Lamborghini, including the MY2012. With P Zero™ Trofeo R you can fully appreciate the performance of extreme vehicles in complete safety, especially on the track.

In extreme conditions, typical of racetrack driving, it reacts with precision to commands. On dry asphalt, even in the most demanding sessions it ensures high levels of grip and constant trajectories. P Zero™ Trofeo R is not recommended for use in very wet track conditions. Specific for racetrack driving, it is approved for road use, enabling travel to the track. In the event of very wet asphalt, with the risk of aquaplaning, prudent driving at reduced speed is recommended.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html

Not stated on the website, just like the GYs on the ZL1 and 1LE, tire grip is reduced by cooler temperatures. They ran on a cool damp then wet track. Adam Dean and the Z/28 put down one hellofa lap.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #331
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
I was just saying for a direct apples to apples comparison. Driver ability can also have a big influence.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #332

Quote:
I was just saying for a direct apples to apples comparison. Driver ability can also have a big influence.
I would think the driver most familiar with each car will get the most out of that car. If it was a blind test by the same driver who had never driven any of the cars before, then perhaps that would be equal. That sounds more like what would happen with a magazine test or comparison...

....But not for the ring. The seat time each driver has with each car as part of the test team is probably off the charts and produces the best results possible.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Developed to provide even greater performance - on the occasion of Track Days - when fitted to the most powerful vehicles such as Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Lamborghini, including the MY2012. With P Zero™ Trofeo R you can fully appreciate the performance of extreme vehicles in complete safety, especially on the track.

In extreme conditions, typical of racetrack driving, it reacts with precision to commands. On dry asphalt, even in the most demanding sessions it ensures high levels of grip and constant trajectories. P Zero™ Trofeo R is not recommended for use in very wet track conditions. Specific for racetrack driving, it is approved for road use, enabling travel to the track. In the event of very wet asphalt, with the risk of aquaplaning, prudent driving at reduced speed is recommended.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html

Not stated on the website, just like the GYs on the ZL1 and 1LE, tire grip is reduced by cooler temperatures. They ran on a cool damp then wet track. Adam Dean and the Z/28 put down one hellofa lap.
Good info...Thanks Pete....
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #334
Jim968

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

That’s a very important point. Dry tires on a wet/damp track are always a handful. Knowing the tires he was on I was holding my breath as he went through the kink under the bridge at 150+ mph. Very, very big attachments!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #335
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Trofeo, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and Pirelli Corsa System all have minimal tread depth when new (5/32" or 6/32") so there are not large channels to allow the water to escape. Some hard laps and you're down to 2/32". They are actually not bad in the "moist", having predictable break-away qualities, but treacherous in "wet" (easy hydroplaning) and sure as hell suicidal around anything frozen :-)
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #336
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
I think very few of you who are not impressed by the time have never driven on a wet race track. The level of grip on a wet track is almost non-existent. I for one was impressed, and if ya'll would bother to read the press release, GM predicted up to 6 sec a lap faster if all were dry. I think that may have been conservative prediction.

On a side note, I can't believe a Mustang guy has to defend a Camaro to a Camaro site...

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 camaro z28, 2014 camaro z28 forum, 2014 camaro z28 forums, 2014 chevy camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro z/28, camaro z/28 forum, camaro z/28 nurburgring, camaro z/28 nurburgring time, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, camaro z28 forums, camaro z28 nurburgring, camaro z28 nurburgring time, chevy camaro z28, chevy camaro z28 forum, chevy camaro z28 forums, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new camaro z28 forums, z/28 forum, z28 forum, z28 forums