Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp73/overview/
This is the one I went with. Forged parts that SHOULD last. This whole experience made me real gun shy on blowing a lot of money on something that can be taken out by something as simple as a valve spring. To be 415 I figure it has the stock bore which later on down the road if I wear it out instead of actually blowing a hole out the side of it, I can hone or bore and be good to go again. I looked into an LS7 and that would be considerably more expensive. I would have loved to have gone that route but too much for me.

As far as power goes its hard to say, my first engine with cam, heads, ported intake/TB, UDP, vararam cai, 1 7/8 LTs made 486 rwhp on dyno jet. The new 415 with a cam that has a little more duration but a little less lift and same everything else only made 463 rwhp on different mustang dyno. So that doesn't tell much but I can tell you it pulls MUCH harder. It especially feels stronger around town cruising in higher gears.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
im quite certain that custom build will be strong and bullet proof. i picked up the crate engine because i was out of time. i blew it giving hot lap rides at the grand opening. dude, i had an awesome time at the track grand opening. i drove pace car for parade laps all day two days in a row in an old museum C4 corvette. i watched tommy milner n ricky taylor run the 4 car on track. milner was giving celebrity VIP rides. he sat and had a cool conversation with me about how the ctsv brakes bolt on the camaro. maybe he was being nice because he is supposed to but he just seemed like a real dude to me. i talked to jordan taylor on pit road while ricky was getting in the 4 car. he actually remembered him and ricky spanking our entire DP sim league. i qualified 3rd and jordan caught me like 15 laps into the race after not even qualifying.
anyway, after that dose of crack, the only question was, how can i get this car fixed by the 26th of sept. my wife ask me how you were taking your engine blowing. i told her "hes fine, hes already racing our engines we dont have in yet. she said, good ole pete. we will get these tanks turned around.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
im quite certain that custom build will be strong and bullet proof. i picked up the crate engine because i was out of time. i blew it giving hot lap rides at the grand opening. dude, i had an awesome time at the track grand opening. i drove pace car for parade laps all day two days in a row in an old museum C4 corvette. i watched tommy milner n ricky taylor run the 4 car on track. milner was giving celebrity VIP rides. he sat and had a cool conversation with me about how the ctsv brakes bolt on the camaro. maybe he was being nice because he is supposed to but he just seemed like a real dude to me. i talked to jordan taylor on pit road while ricky was getting in the 4 car. he actually remembered him and ricky spanking our entire DP sim league. i qualified 3rd and jordan caught me like 15 laps into the race after not even qualifying.
anyway, after that dose of crack, the only question was, how can i get this car fixed by the 26th of sept. my wife ask me how you were taking your engine blowing. i told her "hes fine, hes already racing our engines we dont have in yet. she said, good ole pete. we will get these tanks turned around.
Sounds like an awesome time at the NCM event. Gonna have to make it down there some day, maybe next summer. 26th sept, huh? Has the engine arrived yet? I'm hoping my build is done by end of Sept so I can take a scenic trip through NC along the coast to Road Atlanta for a run there Oct 10-12.

Yeah, tell your sweetheart that I still have a lot to learn before I beat your lap times, but the LS7 might just help a bit

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #18
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp73/overview/
This is the one I went with. Forged parts that SHOULD last.

The new 415 with a cam that has a little more duration but a little less lift and same everything else only made 463 rwhp on different mustang dyno. So that doesn't tell much but I can tell you it pulls MUCH harder. It especially feels stronger around town cruising in higher gears.
Nice engine! Yeah, hard to really compare across different kinds of dynos. Hope you get to the track soon to test it out where it counts

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
shoot you passed me two years ago. i am going to work on the driver mod with this track so close. i banged my right arm up at work so im gimped up for a week or two. the engine is in my garage and my right arm is in a sling.
im going to tinker with it this week and try to get a few guys over to help.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Sorry to hear of your engine failure. Wish for better things ahead Sure sounds like it will be with the LS7

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
SSSoon

Root cause

Well, here we go. Looks like melted cats were root cause. I'll be damned if I can list any symptoms that I should have noticed that pointed to cats as the cause, though: no codes thrown (misfire, etc), no lugging or choking on acceleration, no rough idle, nothing. The only symptom set happened only at 5000 RPM at WOT: Stabilitrack going nuts, a rapid banging noise, and boot gauge suddenly going wild. All disappeared when I got off the gas.

I knew that even high flow cats are a risk with a supercharged engine, but thought that for sure I would have been able to feel a choking engine long before anything really bad happened. Kinda feel like an idiot, like I SHOULD have been to tell. Ah well.

I guess the other clue was last July at VIR when I could only hit 135 on the back stretch instead of 145. But it was high 90's and end of the day, so I figured heat soak...
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
You learned and will know the next time and it cost less than a semester of higher learning at a prestigious university ;-)
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Incredible. But good to know. I'll learn from this when I go SC.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
So what damage have you found to the engine itself from that?

And yes, good to know about being SC!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #25
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Going to have to check the Cats. Last time had them off was app 1k( they were fine maybe should have left them off) Before Engine Failure without warning somewhere between 4500-5000k that I remember.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #26
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You learned and will know the next time and it cost less than a semester of higher learning at a prestigious university ;-)
LOL. Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
So what damage have you found to the engine itself from that?
More to come as they tear it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Going to have to check the Cats. Last time had them off was app 1k( they were fine maybe should have left them off) Before Engine Failure without warning somewhere between 4500-5000k that I remember.
I guess if I had to do it all over again, when I experienced a sense that it wasn't accelerating as well as it used to under WOT, I would check the cats. I think that was my warning, and I missed it.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #27
SSSoon

Got back from dropping off race seats and roll bars at Arrington tonight, had an opportunity to see progress. They're stripping the interior (weight reduction, plus lessens fire hazard in a crash if there's nothing in there to burn), and are going to weld in my roll cage. No more swapping OEM seats for Kirkeys - the race seats will be in full time.

In addition to talking with JusticePete again, I had a chance to meet the guys doing the engineering behind the new engine, and doing the work on the car. Wow, talk about knowledgeable. They are putting together what will be an absolutely awesome engine, and helping me think through some supporting mods for the track. I am excited about how this is going to turn out! More details as the plan comes together.

Pete
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #28
SSSoon

L99 coming out
Attached Images