Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
kwamonster

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Does anyone have a TSP AFM3 Cam?

Hello I was wondering if anyone had purchased the TSP AFM-3 cam and was it worth it? here is the link below. I have the 2010 auto L99

http://texas-speed.com/p-789-texas-s...-camshaft.aspx
kwamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I haven't seen anyone with that particular cam but we have a member that has Mast stage 3 VVT cam. He's putting down just under 500whp with an insane tq curve.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=vvt+LS3
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Interesting! I wonder if anyone has dyno'd any of these cams yet. Seems like they would be a budget approach with not having to remove the cylinder heads. With the already fast times from L99's with tires, converters, and bolt ons, I wonder what type of improvement this cam would make?
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I have an L99 and worry about those damn lifters even on a stock cam! Let alone a slightly bigger cam. If you want to keep vvt that's cool but you defiantly need to remove AFM and its junk parts. It's just not worth it really.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
Did not know they had a AFM 3 cam, VVT 3 here, Mods in Sig
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnwkrkev View Post
Interesting! I wonder if anyone has dyno'd any of these cams yet. Seems like they would be a budget approach with not having to remove the cylinder heads. With the already fast times from L99's with tires, converters, and bolt ons, I wonder what type of improvement this cam would make?
Oh you'd still have to pull the heads to do it properly. You need to swap out the AFM lifters with at least LS3 ones and do the rest of the normal upgrade stuff. For longevity and max power, you need to ditch the AFM crap but keep the VVT.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
Irnwkrkev

^ Read the first post or click on the link. This is about TSP's AFM cam. It keeps AFM functional therefore you don't have to remove the heads.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
dont do it. i tried it and it was lower numbers than stock and the drive train was very loud. do yourself a favor and call lethal racing and talk to shawn or nick about thier prowler cam
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
^ Read the first post or click on the link. This is about TSP's AFM cam. It keeps AFM functional therefore you don't have to remove the heads.
This seems good in theory, until you factor in the failure rate of the stock L99 lifters. It's just not worth it in my opinion. I would rather pull the heads and swap lifters for peace of mind - it really doesn't end up costing that much more.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Yes I know you don't HAVE to swap lifters but it's HIGHLY recommended if you want to reduce the chance of redoing it all again. As Kelly stated, there are many instances of AFM lifters failing on stock cars so it only makes sense to swap them on cam swap. There is absolutely no reason to keep AFM on a car that you're doing a cam swap on. Disabling AFM is one of the first things people do to their L99's.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Irnwkrkev

If that were the case no one in their right mind would buy the tiny afm cam being discussed and then disable the afm. I just stated that it's interesting.... I own an LS3.

According to one post they lost power. I'd like to know if TSP has any dyno or real world reliability results.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
kwamonster

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
My main concern is i didnt want to remove the heads. They claim that they are safe with the stock lifters. The cost wasn't the problem i just didnt want to go into the motor anymore than was necessary. But if it wasn't worth going through for this cam i would get a bigger cam all together and change the lifters. there was a video on youtube with someone having the the afm 1 and got about 50 more rwhp at this link
kwamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
As stated above it sounds like your best bet is to call TSP and see what dyno results they have and then make your decision.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwamonster View Post
My main concern is i didnt want to remove the heads. They claim that they are safe with the stock lifters. The cost wasn't the problem i just didnt want to go into the motor anymore than was necessary. But if it wasn't worth going through for this cam i would get a bigger cam all together and change the lifters.
We aren't trying to sell you anything, just trying to tell you what we see. The AFM lifters are most DEFINITELY the weak link. If you want to go through the cost of doing a cam, it would be in your best interest to upgrade as much as you can in the heads the first time. This will give you the best chance of running problem free.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Tags
afm, cam, l99, tsp