Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #15
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Arizona guys post

Anyone from the dry hot state of Arizona please post your experiences.
My car is too young to kill the battery yet, but I'd like to know.

Jim
Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #16
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Mine lasted five years almost to the day.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #17
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Mine almost lasted six years and needed to be replaced last month.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #18
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
When I lived in Florida my OEM's lasted about 3 years max, the heat really played a toll on them. Seems though up north the weather is kinder to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
depends on where you live, look at the responses of the people close to you. here in houston 3 years is average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Anyone from the dry hot state of Arizona please post your experiences.
My car is too young to kill the battery yet, but I'd like to know.

Jim
When I lived in Phoenix lasted about 3 years as the other hot climates posted above. Usually be fine one day, the next day try to start it and a cell or two would short.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
OEM is good, I personally like Interstate Batteries.
I changed my battery on my '10 SS with an Interstate battery after 35,000
miles and 5 years. perfect fit, great warranty and exactly $200.00.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
A couple days ago I found that the battery in my 2011SS was manufactured in September of 2003. On the CPO inspection paperwork it shows the battery was replaced when I bought the car. Yeah, replaced with a battery that was over 10 years old at the time.

And the funny thing is, it tested good when I was tracking down a starting issue.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #21
htoniv

Drives: Camaro
Guys, what were the symptoms that ur battery was failing?

For me i left in without starting for about 2 months, we had some heavy snow and cold weather latey in NY

So, i am able to start the car by jump but the lights keep flickering dash, radio, door light) and somtimes even go off for 1 sec and come on, feels like car is stalling

I left it on for 2 hrs, and drove around 20 mph for about 30 minutes i reached about 6 miles , and soon as i parked and turned the key off and pulled it, the car went dead. No power at all

Any help would be appreciated.. is it my battery or something else? I know volt reading is not that great but i tested it out and it was low
htoniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #22
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Probably a bad battery. Also, letting the car idle won't really charge the battery much. You have to get those rpm's up so the alternator can charge the battery.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #23
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I plan on getting 8 - 10 yrs like previous GM's I owned.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #24
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htoniv View Post

For me i left in without starting for about 2 months, we had some heavy snow and cold weather latey in NY

So, i am able to start the car by jump but the lights keep flickering dash, radio, door light) and somtimes even go off for 1 sec and come on, feels like car is stalling

I left it on for 2 hrs, and drove around 20 mph for about 30 minutes i reached about 6 miles , and soon as i parked and turned the key off and pulled it, the car went dead. No power at all

Any help would be appreciated.. is it my battery or something else? I know volt reading is not that great but i tested it out and it was low
Here's lots of useful information about maintaining your battery with a Battery Tender, and figuring out whether it's still good.

http://www.batterytender.com/Frequen...ions/#answer20

It's possible that your battery will recover, but if you've been parking it for the winter without a battery tender for a few years, it's probably time for a new battery.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #25
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Probably a bad battery. Also, letting the car idle won't really charge the battery much. You have to get those rpm's up so the alternator can charge the battery.
Actually the RPM's don't really matter, there is a clutch system like your A/C compressor. Once it reads a certain voltage it cuts it off to prevent overcharging. Put a voltage meter on it and you'll see that the amount of power coming from the alternator does not change with your RPM's
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #26
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Mine is only 2 yrs old, but it cranked'er over at -13°F this morning after sitting outside all night. Granted, it was a little slow, but it held in there for the 7 or so cranks it took the engine to kick off. I could just picture the frozen electrons trying to push through the wires.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #27
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Actually the colder the conductor the less electrical resistance it has, if cooled to absolute zero it becomes a zero-resistance "superconductor." Too bad the cold has the reverse effect on the chemical reaction taking place in the battery that produces power.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:06 AM   #28
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by htoniv View Post

Be careful! The alternator and charging system isn't meant to charge a too-dead battery, you can burn up/damage your charging system. Sounds like your battery is discharged to the point where it needs to be put on a charger to try and recover.

Check out this link:
fact-alternators-are-not-designed-to-charge-dead-batteries