Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
sambocaesar

Drives: '13 Camaro Convertible 1LT
Top won't retract up or down

Had my 2013 vert since august. Has been fine until today. With less than 2500 miles, the top will not retract. When I unlatch the top, and press the hold button, the top moves about 6 inches, then stops while holding the button down. A couple of times when I let go of the button, the motor would continue to run, until I killed the ignition. I released the hydraulic motor and manually raised/lowered to make sure it wasn't catching on something. No problem there. I'm taking it to a nearby dealer, but wanted to see if there is something that sounds familiar to anyone .. Common or not common. I hope this isn't the start of more issues.
sambocaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Do you have the rear drape in the trunk pulled forward in place for retracting the top, and are you sure the trunk is completely closed?
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambocaesar View Post
Had my 2013 vert since august. Has been fine until today. With less than 2500 miles, the top will not retract. When I unlatch the top, and press the hold button, the top moves about 6 inches, then stops while holding the button down. A couple of times when I let go of the button, the motor would continue to run, until I killed the ignition. I released the hydraulic motor and manually raised/lowered to make sure it wasn't catching on something. No problem there. I'm taking it to a nearby dealer, but wanted to see if there is something that sounds familiar to anyone .. Common or not common. I hope this isn't the start of more issues.
Haven't heard about this one, just take it to the dealer and let them look at it. But keep us posted!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
its a 2013, so hope its not a problem with those like the 2011 and 2012,s. hopefully something just a simple fix. good luck with it
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
sambocaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Do you have the rear drape in the trunk pulled forward in place for retracting the top, and are you sure the trunk is completely closed?
Yep on both .. Those were the first things I checked .. Without knowing how the tractor mechanism works, it seems like something has 'slipped' or is not 'engaging'
Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Quote:
Yep on both .. Those were the first things I checked .. Without knowing how the tractor mechanism works, it seems like something has 'slipped' or is not 'engaging'
There is nothing that engages. it works off of two rams and hydraulic pressure. May have air in the line. Take the tool from the glove box used for putting the top up or down with no battery power. open the valve and retract the top up and down a few times and that will get any air out of the line provided there is enough fluid in the reservoir. Close the valve and try it then.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
ToddB

If that don't work you have a bad pump or a damaged hydraulic line.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
ToddB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
There is nothing that engages. it works off of two rams and hydraulic pressure. May have air in the line. Take the tool from the glove box used for putting the top up or down with no battery power. open the valve and retract the top up and down a few times and that will get any air out of the line provided there is enough fluid in the reservoir. Close the valve and try it then.
The tool is a long allen wrench.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Check and make sure you are not getting a message displayed on the DIC. Even if you have air in the line or low fluid the motor should run. I would guess it could be something as simple as a bad switch.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
ToddB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Check and make sure you are not getting a message displayed on the DIC. Even if you have air in the line or low fluid the motor should run. I would guess it could be something as simple as a bad switch.
Look above he said sometimes the motor would run until he turned the key off.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
sambocaesar

Quote:
If that don't work you have a bad pump or a damaged hydraulic line.
Thanks .. I'll try that tomorrow if I can't make it to the dealer .. I figured someone knows how it works
Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
ToddB

Quote:
Thanks .. I'll try that tomorrow if I can't make it to the dealer .. I figured someone knows how it works
Ya I was doing some mods to my car and cut one of those lines and replaced it myself. On top of that I replaced my 5th bow back in august myself. Check out the thread below on the 5th bow.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Look above he said sometimes the motor would run until he turned the key off.
Switches can stick on and overheat, then their contacts can be damaged to where they don't make good contact. Also I think there are some interlock switches that could malfunction causing these symptoms.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
sambocaesar

Maybe just coincidence, but the last time it worked, was right before I took it to the carwash