Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: What do you think?
love it 258 38.22%
hate it 417 61.78%
Voters: 675. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #155
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Vertical door conversions are a bad idea. Personal tastes aside, they are a bad idea from an engineering standpoint. I posted this on CorvetteForum a while ago.
Totally agree. I have seen a couple Vette's done with scissors. What the windows do when opening and closing plus the two axis to close the door, causes alignment problems of door and windows. Once closed it is OK, however, the up/down alignment is iffy. And the resale options?
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #156
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
YAWN......whatever.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #157
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I will be getting some sort of upward door hinge kit. There are lot of you that will say it is trash, but there are functional reasons why a vertically opening door will serve the purposes of its driver, especially in a coupe, like the Camaro.

The doors are long. Have you ever bumped into a car with your door? It leaves a mark of your paint on their car, and that means that your car has lost some paint somewhere. That sort of ding could have been avoided by a door that opens up instead of sideways. Don't bother posting a response to this that says you'll park away from other cars. Eventually, you will be another ding in another car, and you'll be thinking, "The_Blur was right."

Automation is the new black. It has been a long-standing trend in the automotive field that automatic features are taking over. It started with those engines that drivers had to crank, and led to button-starting cars. The newest feature might just be cars that open up on command, but this sort of badassery can't come fresh out of the box. You've got to do it yourself. For the sake of badassery, get a kit with a button that opens your door for you.

Can I have your attention? Of course I will have your attention with a Camaro, as well as a car with doors that many would say "go the wrong way" to open. You might not call it traditional, but that sort of deviance wins car shows and the attention of everyone in the parking lot.

It's a standard feature. At car shows, winning cars are as custom as possible. That means that the doors must be somehow modified to match a car with a new sound system, hydraulics, new lights, interior upgrades, and performance parts. They just won't match the other parts on the car.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #158
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
how much you willing to bet?
I didn't know that was the correct term. Thanks for the info. It was a serious question.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #159
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Because this is the third or fourth time this question has been asked and each and every time a bunch of closeminded muscle car camaro enthusiasts trash talk them and treat them like crap just because they want to do something different to their camaro that nobody else is going to do. Then the guy that posted the question never returns to the website again. So somebody is going to put lambo doors on his car. So what. Let GM sell the car to the guy, let the guy do what he wants with his car, and let the guy stand out in a crowd the way he wants to. If your gonna criticize then by all means just say, "Not my style".

GM is expecting to sell 80- 100 thousand camaros. Some of them are going to get engine mods, some of them will get appearence mods, and some will get both. Some people on here are just going to have to get over it.

But they won't they will just insult the guy and call him a ricer. And I guarentee that after my post the thread will either die, or three more people will not read my post and still call the guy a ricer, or get mad at him for "ruining" a camaro.
I think the OP question was what do we think. Therefore that is a question that will garner some opinions. I have seen guys with these doors try and sell their cars and have had a very difficult time which was my only comment and the fact that they have technical challenges in retrofitting. I also don't care for the term "Ricer".
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #160
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
call me crazy but I dont actually think that this looks all that bad...

Having said that I do know that these types of retrofits, as mentions above, are structurally just a bad idea, add weight to the vehicle, and tend to cause early leaks in the door seal.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #161
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
call me crazy but I dont actually think that this looks all that bad...

Having said that I do know that these types of retrofits, as mentions above, are structurally just a bad idea, add weight to the vehicle, and tend to cause early leaks in the door seal.
when I first saw this a long time ago I thought it was real lol its a BMW M6

I like the doors... just not for me

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #162
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I will be getting some sort of upward door hinge kit. There are lot of you that will say it is trash, but there are functional reasons why a vertically opening door will serve the purposes of its driver, especially in a coupe, like the Camaro.

The doors are long. Have you ever bumped into a car with your door? It leaves a mark of your paint on their car, and that means that your car has lost some paint somewhere. That sort of ding could have been avoided by a door that opens up instead of sideways. Don't bother posting a response to this that says you'll park away from other cars. Eventually, you will be another ding in another car, and you'll be thinking, "The_Blur was right."

Automation is the new black. It has been a long-standing trend in the automotive field that automatic features are taking over. It started with those engines that drivers had to crank, and led to button-starting cars. The newest feature might just be cars that open up on command, but this sort of badassery can't come fresh out of the box. You've got to do it yourself. For the sake of badassery, get a kit with a button that opens your door for you.

Can I have your attention? Of course I will have your attention with a Camaro, as well as a car with doors that many would say "go the wrong way" to open. You might not call it traditional, but that sort of deviance wins car shows and the attention of everyone in the parking lot.

It's a standard feature. At car shows, winning cars are as custom as possible. That means that the doors must be somehow modified to match a car with a new sound system, hydraulics, new lights, interior upgrades, and performance parts. They just won't match the other parts on the car.

The doors are long?
Really? I've owned an SC400, a G35 Coupe, and a GTO. You haven't seen long doors until you've been in an SC400. I have NEVER hit another car's doors with mine.

Automation is the new black? Jesus Christ. Not even a hint of irony.

Can I have your attention?
Try laughter. Vertical door kits may be cool at Hot Import Nights, but the places I hang out, where cars regularly trap 120+, you'll just be that douche with the Lambo doors that thinks his car is hot shit.

It's a standard feature? What the hell is standard about a car with an aftermarket door kit welded into the fender with inherent design flaws? Try opening those bad boys on a windy day. And it's absolutely ridiculous to think that "doors" are part of a well balanced vehicle.

Your post read like a kid furiously trying to defend his popped collar.

EDIT: Or Will Castro, from Unique Whips.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #163
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #164
kdoske

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post

Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #165
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
3 words...Dont do it
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #166
zman302
DZ 302 4spd

Drives: 1969 Z/28
To each his own, but lets see they are called lambo doors.....don't they belong on a lambo. But really, its up to each persons likes and dislikes, if you like them by all means put them on your car and enjoy them.
zman302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #167
kdoske

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman302 View Post
To each his own, but lets see they are called lambo doors.....don't they belong on a lambo. But really, its up to each persons likes and dislikes, if you like them by all means put them on your car and enjoy them.
Well in all reality they are called scissor doors. Lambo doors is just what most people associate them with so they call them Lambo doors...

but yeah, i get your point...
Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #168
erasedgod
CGM 2SS/RS

Drives: # 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDan View Post
Anyone thought about putting lambo doors on the camaro
how much would it cost to have both automatic lambo doors the ones that open automaticly when ya hit the button.

just an idea.

post some thoughts.
I imagine the (at least) three other people who started this same thread had similar ideas.

Scissor doors only look good when they come from the factory.

Tags
camaro, icce wheels, lambo doors