Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #85
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Especially when Bowtie won't stop trying to sniff the glue on them....
It's not like it used to be....pre-EPA mandated glues were so much better.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #86
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Especially when Bowtie won't stop trying to sniff the glue on them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
It's not like it used to be....pre-EPA mandated glues were so much better.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #87
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
FYI - Just an extra tidbit of information for you boosted guys:
Be careful with the "new" engines if you are looking to go past 600-650 crank hp. GM has beefed up the "new" LS3/L99's, because the LS2/3, LS7's were having lots of problems with piston skirts canting and sleeving problems. On high boost versions of these 6 out of 7 cracked and had to be re-sleeved. I assume most of you are looking to keep within the 600-650 range, but I wanted to bring it up as a possible expense for any of you horsepower junkies who are looking to push the envelope.
Good info to know, but are you saying that GM has addressed this issue with the Camaro LS3 and L99 motors? also, are you saying the Pistons cocked over to the side from the high combustion pressures and thereby stressing the sleve till it cracked? Was the fix to modify the pistons?
More info please. (I wonder if the issue was further addressed in the LSA and L99 pistons?)

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #88
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I am at 8 people who would like to get in on the forced induction group buy....
I am working on a APS twin turbo system, and also working to track down a good deal from either procharger or magnuson.

I have 8 people, I need 15 or more!!! Who woudl be interested? PM me or post here if you want to get in on a good deal!
Also the possibility of a group buy on better internals or complete forged shortblocks!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #89
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I am at 8 people who would like to get in on the forced induction group buy....
I am working on a APS twin turbo system, and also working to track down a good deal from either procharger or magnuson.

I have 8 people, I need 15 or more!!! Who woudl be interested? PM me or post here if you want to get in on a good deal!
Also the possibility of a group buy on better internals or complete forged shortblocks!
Are all 8 of the people getting their Camaros at the same time, though. With a newly released car, it's going to be difficult to start any group purchasing since some of the potential buyers may not have their car immediately.

I'd jump on the bandwagon, but I won't even have money for the car for a while. :(
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #90
ZZcamaro

The group buy will work fine...People on here who know they are getting a car, some who know when, but all who want the system will buy it whenever it comes out.

Come on, you know the awesome feeling you get when you know you are on eof the first to get something!!! Add that to being the fastest and sweetest looking ride in town!

One of the buyers hasn't even ordered a car, but he wants the system as he knows he will be ordering and gettign a car for the summer.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #91
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Good info to know, but are you saying that GM has addressed this issue with the Camaro LS3 and L99 motors? also, are you saying the Pistons cocked over to the side from the high combustion pressures and thereby stressing the sleve till it cracked? Was the fix to modify the pistons?
More info please. (I wonder if the issue was further addressed in the LSA and L99 pistons?)
Yes, the pistons were so far down the bore that on direction change they cocked ever so slightly and overstressed the sleeve. I know on the LS7 they went so far as to modify the piston skirt. I have heard that the "new" versions (2009 and later) of the LS3/L99 have also been modified to alleviate this problem - haven't been able to get exact details how, just that it has been addressed.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #92
ZZcamaro

I have been in contact with a few companies so far....If there are people who would like to purchase an STS turbo system please let me know, either in this thread or a PM....also if you are only interested in a particular supercharger company please let me know...I need to get a count and see which companies would really be interested.

Thanks everybody.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #93
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
I think I would like to supercharge as well. Turbo is a close second.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #94
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I'm all in for a supercharger.... I'm just really struggling with the high CR... I know vette guys are doing it.. I'd just like a little extra... security?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #95
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
I'm all in for a supercharger.... I'm just really struggling with the high CR... I know vette guys are doing it.. I'd just like a little extra... security?
i mean whats the worst that could happen your engine dies a little...=P
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #96
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Quote:
What psi can you throw into an LS3? What hp/tq levels does that net you?

I'm also worried about the half shafts with the new Camaro. That's one thing thats good about the SRA in the current Mustang.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #97
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt View Post

I'm also worried about the half shafts with the new Camaro. That's one thing thats good about the SRA in the current Mustang.
you mean the ones that sheer off if you put slicks on?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #98
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt View Post

I'm not sure what Boost level they are running, But Lingenfelter and Callaway are getting about 580 bhp using their kits with 5th gen eaton/magnuson blowers. My guess is it's less than 10psi.

Lingenfelter 2009 C6 LS3 Kit.

Callaway LS2 and LS3 Corvette Kit.

I found something that says 7 psig, but I think that relates to the intake and not boost. I don't know though.

Quote:
2009 Callaway Corvette Specifications

Engine
6.2 liter (378 cu.in.) V8, 90°, cast aluminum block and heads; 6-bolt cross-bolted main caps
Supercharger: Eaton/Magnuson 2000 cc Roots-style; with air/liquid intercooler integral to intake manifold. 44" Hg manifold pressure, absolute. (7 psig) Bore x Stroke: 4.060 in. x 3.622 in.
Compression ratio: 10.7:1
Maximum Power: 580 bhp* @ 6200 rpm
Maximum Torque: 510 lb-ft* @ 4750 rpm
Maximum Engine Speed: 6500 rpm
Fuel system: Increased flow (53 lb/hr) fuel injectors; auxiliary fuel pump controller
Ignition system: coil per cylinder
Throttle body: 90mm diameter, drive-by-wire
*SAE test method

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote